About ryze...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elsantrich

01-30-2012

So I've been playing for a bit now, (recently hit 30) and I typically stick to mage/AP champs. I'm kinda curious about why ryze is rated the way he is in the community. He is marked as a champ with easy spells and a recommended for new players. The problem is that he plays more like a mana carry than anything else, and will get flat out shut down early game against most champs if you don't either have high skill or a lot of ganks. I understand that all his moves are DD and he has high range, but while easy to cast, not even close too easy to use properly. His mid to late game is crazy if you build him right (people that have seen him in full swing know exactly what I'm talking about) but for new people starting up, he just doesn't seem viable.

Then it comes to the stigma that has been built in with him. Even if your good with him, the second you choose ryze, your teammates bash you for being a noob. I am assuming this is a combination of how long ryze has been around and the fact that he is recommended to new players. At this point, you are essentially pushing flame bait on someone that barely know the game.

My main point to this wot is, can't riot pick an more user friendly mage to recommend?

Ezpoints

01-30-2012

Anne is recommended and I find her more capable against higher level mage champs mid than Ryze, I do play Ryze on occasion, but I play him more of a push after getting his ult. And he is a huge help in team fights. On the downside you do get focused down quick but with an early hourglass that might fix things a little.

Elsantrich

01-30-2012

From my experience, ryze really isn't a nuker at any point, hes more of dps mage with his ability to spam spells. a couple movement speed quints actually help a great deal on him, may sound weird for a mage but try it out. Oh and don't build AP items on him till late game. His damage scales much faster with mana than AP. BV and FH are great, build some tankiness with the mana, helps survivability greatly.

TheCrazyNutcase

01-30-2012

Why is it a big deal what riot recommend? I've never been bashed for playing Ryze, everyone knows just how viable he is. Early game he doesn't have a problem, are you using his spells to last hit minions? Use them on champions instead and watch them recall like crazy or waste all their g's on potions. He's not hard to use at all, just need to learn to last hit minions with his auto attack.

7thcloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

idk who's friendlier. ryze has no skillshots. he's tanky. he's got an instant root (there is no travel time like sion's stun). he's somewhat an ill-designed hero atm, but one of the easier ones to play

Hackulator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

Anyone who bashes you for picking Ryze is either a troll or ignorant. I've never seen anyone do that though. Ryze is used by people at the very top levels of the game.

18X Jake

01-31-2012

Thing about ryze is you get tanky and damage with the standard build. Mid-Late game ryze is rediculously tanky. Banshee's, frozen heart, Rod of ages, archangel's staff. So much damage and can take a lot of hits.