Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

New player champion choices

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StretchmarksGG

07-21-2010

i recently came to this game with my friends from hon and im about level 13 and the only champs i've baught so far is Ashe (400) and Heimerdinger (3100) and some of the weekly ones i've liked are ryze and sokara.

I've been thinking about which one i want to get next and i was thinking about Jax. Shaco or Twisted Fate but everyone allways tells me heimer shaco and sokara are allways banned on ranked matches and i do want to eventually play ranked because we have been playing alot and getting pretty good. That left me with Jax and Twisted Fate but a guy i played with told me Jax sucks in 5v5 because he dies alot.

basically my question is out of those 3 which should i get? does jax really suck in 5s and who normally gets banned? Also if you have any suggestions of champs i might enjoy that would be great too and ill look into them.

1 last thing does anyone know a good site where i can find builds for all the champs?

FRZ Terror

07-21-2010

Learn shaco, although he is almost always banned, but by the time you get to level 30, you will have been able to buy 3-5 more champions. He's fun to play and quite powerful. It is very easy for him to escape/gank and there are multiple fun ways to play him early game.

For builds, you can look on the forum or just do a search up on google. Experiment with the guide first and then branch out depending on how you like to play your champ

StretchmarksGG

07-21-2010

well i was going to try and save as much IP for runes as i could, is he and heimer really banned EVERY game?

xpsychedelico

07-21-2010

The Guides and Strategy forums have builds, as well as Leaguecraft.com... but they seem to be down at the moment.

Jax is good. He is quite balanced now. I haven't heard of anyone banning him in ranked games yet. Jax is amazing 1v1, but against a good team, he can be shut down. All champions can be countered, so naturally when playing against a good team they make sure they shut down the biggest problem first. Jax is decent early game, but he really picks up mid-late game, which is why teams try to shut him down early.

Shaco is almost always banned in Ranked Games, so yes, it may be a good idea to leave him alone. He is a very good champion, many people just have trouble countering him because of his good escape mechanism, which is why he's always banned. Soraka, Shen and Heimer are also often (read: almost every single game) banned in Ranked Games.

Twisted Fate isn't as good as he used to be, and he's very squishy. So if you want more durability, go for Jax. You need good positioning and map awareness to play TF effectively. Because of his squishiness, most teams find it easy to shut him down early and quickly. You also need some practice in mastering his Pick a Card ability so that you can draw the card you need in every given situation.

R66Y

07-21-2010

Heimer, Shaco, Xin Zhao, Shen, Soraka are probably the 5 you'll see banned most often btw.

Dezarius

07-21-2010

The others have given you advice on champs, here are the 2 build sites I like:

MobaFire (http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends)
LeagueCraft (http://www.leaguecraft.com/) (as someone else mentioned)

Also as mentioned, these forums have a guides section, but for new people I don't recommend them "first". There is no real rhyme or reason to them as far as last updates, etc, so you never know if it's outdated due to patches or not. The 2 sites I've listed both have filters so you can search on recent updates, and/or how well the community grades the guide (Great, Good, Bad, etc).

StretchmarksGG

07-21-2010

what other champions would you guys suggest?