New at Melee

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Odeyy

07-21-2010

Hello! Since I started playing this game I focused more on caster champions, choosing champions like malzahar, morgana, and karthus. Now I want to go melee because the squishyness that comes with a caster gets old sometimes. I have enough points saved up for just about any melee hero, whether it's fighter, assassin or tank, but I have never played melee before.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good melee champion that I could learn the ropes with. I was considering Poppy because her dps and survivability both seem pretty good. Also, is there any tips that you might have about being melee?

Thank you =)

Mershin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2010

Hiya,

Going specifically melee does not guarantee survivability, especially melee as opposed to ranged dps since you're 'in your face personal' For example Master YI is very squishy, but can dish out immense damage at close range when he has the right items. You could consider a champion such as Mordekaiser or Cho'Gath, who are generally built as tanks for survivability (a Cho with 6 'feast' stacks plus a guardian angel is near unstoppable), but they have some DPS abilities. Nevertheless building a character for survivability takes away from the damage output. Twitch & Ashe are also examples of extremely squishy ranged DPS who generally build for damage. That's what the tank is for though, protecting those squishies by taking the brunt of the damage so that the damage dealers can do their thing I've seen some good Poppies, it wouldn't be a bad pick to try out. Maybe you should try out the current free tanks/melee dps and see if one of them appeals to your style? Someone like Olaf who needs damage but whose abilities scale with health may also be an interesting choice for you.

Kinney

07-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good melee champion that I could learn the ropes with. I was considering Poppy because her dps and survivability both seem pretty good. Also, is there any tips that you might have about being melee?

Thank you =)
Garen is a great starter character for someone new to melee.

FRZ Terror

07-21-2010

Easy melee champions to learn that have some sort of tankability (since you are sick of being squishy) include, Garen, Olaf, Mundo.

Personally, I started off playing amumu and loved him.