Malphite--blow trading?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2012

Disclaimer--I never tried this on a game against humans yet, but it does work decently well on bots (as far as raw output goes).

Start with boots + 2 HP pots + 1 Mana pot.
Grab Seismic Shard first, then Groundpoundbooyah! and focus on these two.
Q->E->about 2 AA. I am finding the output to be high enough and reliable enough (well, bots don't dodge or have good positioning) that I can come out on top.

What do you think number wise? Of course it's not going to work against champs with stuns, or if you're in solo v 2 lanes. But if situation allows, I think it does work fairly well.

Tho76

01-29-2012

This might be good in the start of the game, but Malphite really isn't a DPS champ, so I dunno how good it would be late game. Plus, you would probably run out of mana fast.

KingofWolves

01-29-2012

You can always go Boots into Doran's Rings (2 will be enough) and then into Sorcerer's Shoes.

It sounds funky, I know, but try it out.

descimation

01-29-2012

You could build him this way, and it can work, but for the most part he is a tank/anti carry so, depending on what you want to do, you may not want to focus on blow trading. However, I must say that I have seen some really good AP malphites, so it all depends on team comp and what you are trying to do.

myassyourface

01-29-2012

Uh.....since when isn't Malphite a dps champ?? He's a melee bruiser. Dps Malphite is very underestimated building items like atmogs/wits end/triforce he can go toe to toe with almost anyone.

FABIOForever

01-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by myassyourface View Post
Uh.....since when isn't Malphite a dps champ?? He's a melee bruiser. Dps Malphite is very underestimated building items like atmogs/wits end/triforce he can go toe to toe with almost anyone.
Yeah I don't get why anyone builds him pure tank. Unlike Amumu, there is no benefit to keeping him around a long time in fights since he blows all his usefulness in a burst of abilities.

AMonkeyCourier

01-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIOForever View Post
Yeah I don't get why anyone builds him pure tank. Unlike Amumu, there is no benefit to keeping him around a long time in fights since he blows all his usefulness in a burst of abilities.
This.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

Anyone who thinks having an extra 30% AD is not a trait of a DPS is ..well..probably too new to see Malphite back in his hay day.

I have been refining my build slightly. Still testing them out on bots, but I find that Boots->Zeal (start with Glove) -> AD item seems to give me the best balance so far. Once you pop Brutal Strike, a crit multiplies his Brutal Strike damage by 2. So that 20% extra AD easily turns into 300+dmg critical strike by level 6. I am about to purchase some lifesteal runes to supplement his life steal, and will be using red Crit Chance (or crit damage) soon. Because getting Vamp Scepter really doesn't work with him, at all. His damage (mainly AS) isn't quite high enough to leech back good amount of HP.

I am also reconsidering my choice of boots. I had been running Ionian for a while for the CDR. But it seems that once my build is table enough, I could always go into Ground Pound (TM) -> Brutal Strike -> Ground Pound (TM) and maintain roughly 40% damage mitigation (against AA) for 12 to 15 seconds at a time, so I am leaning slowly away from a heavy CDR build. Especially once I can convince people (usually by critting people for 300 dmg by the 6th min) that I'm not the tank, I don't have to worry about minimizing my UF CD to use as defensive interrupt anymore. It's glorious, really.

Warrrrax

01-30-2012

This is kind of a bad idea because you don't have the mana to support SHARD itself, let alone that AND groundpound (which has awful range). Malph has AWFUL mana regen naturally and even meditate's 3 MP5 doesn't make much difference, nor do MP5 runes.

Instead, try this:

Mekis and 2 health pots. Max Q. 1 rank in W,E at 2 and 4 like usual. Boost groundpound at 8,10,12,13. This gives you 84 mana per minute which gives you a bit over 1 extra Shard per minute. As shard deals from 60 to 260, this adds up fast!

Upgrade to CHALICE and boots on your first B. Chalice solves your mana problems for the entire game and gives you enough mana to overcome even the best sustain since you can literally spam shard nonstop and outtrade ANYONE. It costs 450 gold to do this which is incredibly efficient. The ohter 450 gold goes into 30 points of magic resistance which is definitely a great thing to have and ensures that Malph is really tanky really fast.

Some people say this puts you 900 gold behind, but I find this baffling. 30MR is very worthwhile, and being able to go from cowering in fear of Riven/GP, to nuking them into submission so you can zone them is definitely worth the price. Especially since you can spam E to mad-farm later on and not run OOM during engagements. Plus not having to run B all the time.

I then go into giants belt to sunfire, but you can do whatever you want. Dorans will work, but its only 5 MP5 which isn't as good as meki even. Sure the AP and Health is better but Chalice is far superior once you get it.

Devious Rogue

01-30-2012

BOTS. I give Ryze Zerkers, Phantoms, Phantoms, Infinity, Bloodthirster and he trades blows with Yi. So while I feel sorry for the 4 guys on your team when you try it out, possibly more than once, you can only gauge its effectiveness in several real fights. Or by listening to the one guy in ten on these forums who actually knows the game too well and can give you a good answer as to whether it will work or not.