I am level 30. I have played in over 500 games. I have played as every champion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Layotees

Senior Member

07-21-2010

Hi, you should listen to me when it comes to how valuable experience is because I play this game a lot, now please listen to me destroy my credibility with some terrible opinions.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SilentWings

Senior Member

07-21-2010

LoL's skill cap is ridiculously low. Most of the game is strategy and experience. However, just because YOU played 500 games and isn't top ELO does not mean that a talented player cannot be pro with less games.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uccisore

Senior Member

07-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukami View Post
I believe it has nothing to do with the actual skill level or number of what level they are, but what comes WITH the level. They lack full mastery setups compared to other level 30's, they don't have all the IP for a full rune-page setup, and it just handicaps them in comparison to a level 30.
If that was a hindrance (and I'm sure it is), then it's a hindrance their Elo would reflect. That's like saying "Sorry, old people can't compete in the Boston Marathon because you probably won't win". I'm sorry, but that's why we actually HAVE the competitions, instead of just randomly handing trophies to folks who 'look athletic'.

Quote:
But I do understand what you're saying, they should have a similar level bracket for ranked games, instead of just going NO!.
And they DID. That's what the Elo system does in the first place. Everybody who played a normal game had a rating when Season 1 launched. Then they scrapped it and said "NVM, you're all 1200", and when the level 20 '1200's' couldn't keep up with the level 30 '1200's', they kicked them out. No season 1 for you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Bad Lamb

Senior Member

07-21-2010

1: get pc controller
2: play with pc controller
3: ????
4: Profit / High Elo


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Matthew21210

Senior Member

07-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
Then what the hell are you doing in Ranked Play, scrub? Didn't you hear, they raised the level cap to 50, and you need at least 600 games to get there.
Cute. Lemme rephrase it then.
I Don't always make the right pick in NORMAL games. Because win or lose, it has no permanent, visible effect on me or other players. Simply that one round, that experience, and "win or lose".

I may be a scrub to you, but I'm not sure how. I don't pick anything but top tier and champs I can play to the best of my ability as the most effective counter measure to the enemy team in Ranked. I understand the difference between Normal and Ranked, as the term "Srs Bzns" May have been intended to denote. Nice way to take things out of context.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
No, see, all you have to do is introduce 'super levels', where in order to get 30+Awesome you need 250 wins, and in order to get 30+Awesome Squared you need 350 wins. Obviously, anyone less than 30+Awesome Cubed is a scrub and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near my Ranked Play.

Do you see yet how pretending arbitrary numbers mean stuff is dumb? Do you see that having an "You must be this good to play" standard in a system that is supposed to match you against your peers in the first place is completely pointless?

I'm not saying people less than 30 are great, or even good. I'm saying they should be able to play against other people of their competency level, in games that use the spiffy new features and give them an Elo rating. What's so hard/objectionable about that?
Hmmm. Nice mocking. Of course when you try to make numbers sound dumb they sound dumb. And quit it with the leading questions. Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Their competency? Their ability to be competent at level 20 is what's under fire here. You must be this good to play is very important. More so than many tournaments you'll see, such as chess, SF or even MTG for ****s sake. Everyone "starts at 1200 ELO" but Players who, according to data Riot so kindly provided, are less than level 20, through in experience or whatever, not only make a loss much more likely for whomever's team they are grouped, but also make leaving much more likely. While distasteful and a mark of a poor person in general, skill wise or otherwise, leaving in a ranked game is almost a guaranteed loss. I suppose in addition to "everyone having the right to ranked queue" everyone should "have the right to leave or dodge at will."

The problem is that, without a "You must be at least this experienced to play" bar, it becomes a **** shoot for mid level, and, under sad sad circumstances, High level players. Who's gonna get the terribad 20 on their team that doesn't know how taric's stun works, or why you shouldn't push with Shaco mia. Their loss drags down four players who otherwise might have gone on to win.those four good players, against the seemingly common myth, are not immediately re queued against low ELO nimcompoops in a chance to redeem their ELO, but split up and divvied out among the bad players, until it's a contest to see who can stop their team mates from feeding harder to get back up into a better ELO.

Yes, bads will lose, and goods will win, but sometimes a bad will drag down some goods that should have won. It's a very random system at the start and ends up being a fairly even battle sooner or later. By then, we may have lost some shining talent, or just pissed a huge portion of the player base off. ELO will have trouble matching you against your peers from a zero sum dead start, because you're a tenth of a match, and are affected wholly and disproportionately by others failures.

Hell, have you ever seen the pre-lims, qualifyings etc. of something like a Street Fighter or MvC2 Tourney? The pros get ran up against good players and questionably terrible alike, possibly people who've never played the game, and those matches are absolute slaughters. Flashy flying kicks, one move repeat defeats, ridiculous inf combos that'd never work on someone with more experience.... and, poorly thought out grope fests between two bad players. occasionally somebody who's really bad makes it past prelims into a few brackets before getting curbstomped, simply by getting matched up against worse people by luck. Now, imagine that in reverse, only instead, to go on, your entire bracket needs to win, or you all lose. you can see a lot of bad players dragging pros down in tourney's without seeding can't you?

The goal of normal is to "play against people of your competency level"
The goal of Ranked is to Win. Anything outside of skill, like inexperience (Aw, shucks, I didn't know magneto had an infinite combo") of your RANDOM teammates at the outset of the race give players who got lucky ("Yeah, had a guy. three cables. Didn't know how to SJ cancel into QCF+DP) an entirely... unfair advantage. Is it too much to ask that people get their **** together before they play?
Not only is it an skill disadvantage (Experience, whatever) it's a material disadvantage as well. Nice t2 runes sally. good champ options huh? What do you mean you can't play soraka? You've got first pick and they didn't ban her. This is a free win. The hell? You never bought her? ****. Fine. Heimer. Oh. Okay. Him neither. Sure. Let's just let them have both. I'm gonna go level one dragon as teemo, Kay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokk View Post
You won. You already got your way. What's the point of this thread again except to inject more venom into this community?
What's the point of all the *****ing about me getting my way?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Matthew21210

Senior Member

07-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layotees View Post
Hi, you should listen to me when it comes to how valuable experience is because I play this game a lot, now please listen to me destroy my credibility with some terrible opinions.
Terrible, terrible opinions. Horrible ones in fact.

Wait. I had opinions in my first post and not just a list of things I'd done well/failed at miserably on my way to becoming a halfway decent player, in an attempt to point out the sheer volume of information that I've absorbed (there's still a lot more to learn, LoL is still growing) that no one under Level 30 could have gotten around to?

There's a point where skill<=experience with how the game works. A lot of people are running into it right now I imagine.

(sorry about the double post, but, new jack ass, new topic, new post)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
If that was a hindrance (and I'm sure it is), then it's a hindrance their Elo would reflect. That's like saying "Sorry, old people can't compete in the Boston Marathon because you probably won't win". I'm sorry, but that's why we actually HAVE the competitions, instead of just randomly handing trophies to folks who 'look athletic'.



And they DID. That's what the Elo system does in the first place. Everybody who played a normal game had a rating when Season 1 launched. Then they scrapped it and said "NVM, you're all 1200", and when the level 20 '1200's' couldn't keep up with the level 30 '1200's', they kicked them out. No season 1 for you.

Right. But when that old person could actively cause four bolts to lose in a 50M dash....
There's a problem. Also, being too old isn't something that can be fixed. Being too young on the other hand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWings View Post
LoL's skill cap is ridiculously low. Most of the game is strategy and experience. However, just because YOU played 500 games and isn't top ELO does not mean that a talented player cannot be pro with less games.
Did you just contradict yourself. It's strategy and experience mostly. But that doesn't mean that people with less experience can't be good.
Look, I'm sure there are lots of level 20's better than me, even with my unfair advantage. They should have no problem in getting to thirty if they really want to play competitively, and when they do get to thirty, I'm ready and willing to accept them into ranked play. Hell, let em queue up on my team, I'd love some free wins.
Wow. It's like I just conceded all of my points for no rea- Oh. Right.
inb4 Edge Cases Mother ****er. I can edit my first post to have that in there too, so suck it.
(Sidenote: wasn't *****ing that I wasn't "High ELO" I haven't actively tried for it, and I don't think I can scratch it. I'll be honest. Doesn't mean what little name I can make for myself needs to be butt****ed before it gets off the ground)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

H4MBURGERS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-21-2010

Your withering arrogance and faux pro-gamer mentality don't hide the fact that you wrote a novel about a number difference in a video game.

Seriously though, turn down the arrogance. You're either incredibly conceited or an elaborate troll.

Not that I disagree with you necessarily. Your attitude is just highly off-putting.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MakoEffect

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-21-2010

Well....**** it just takes a long time to get all the t3 runes you need let alone the champs you need to learn, for the longest time I had NO idea that Kassadin needed a certain number of stacks to use an ability. Along with a few other champs I had known nothing about. I think Udyr was the other one that confused the hell out of me, I thought once he used his stun on one person it was over with....NOPE. Stun the hole team, turtle, tiger dot, stun team, turtle, eat food, stun team, turtle, time for pie. ^-^


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheesyChipsy

Senior Member

07-21-2010

Enjoyed the read, thank you.

People need to realize what it takes to be high ELO.

Thanks for your humility OP.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Matthew21210

Senior Member

07-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4MBURGERS View Post
Your withering arrogance and faux pro-gamer mentality don't hide the fact that you wrote a novel about a number difference in a video game.

Seriously though, turn down the arrogance. You're either incredibly conceited or an elaborate troll.

Not that I disagree with you necessarily. Your attitude is just highly off-putting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyChipsy View Post
Enjoyed the read, thank you.

People need to realize what it takes to be high ELO.

Thanks for your humility OP.


Aww, ****. What do?
No, really. Sorry if my manner of speaking/typing (when you type in the rhetoric it doesn't matter!) is off putting, I just speak arrogantly naturally. I generally have to speak down to people. But not you and me H4MBURGERS. You and me, We're Smart guys. We "Get the picture".
We could run this town.
Hells yeah.

Glad you did Cheesy. Despite my mannerisms, I did try to emphasize the fact that I wasn't a truly great competitive player, just someone who'd played himself a fair amount of LoL but still by no means "A lot" and wasn't even close to knowing everything about the game.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoEffect View Post
Well....**** it just takes a long time to get all the t3 runes you need let alone the champs you need to learn, for the longest time I had NO idea that Kassadin needed a certain number of stacks to use an ability. Along with a few other champs I had known nothing about. I think Udyr was the other one that confused the hell out of me, I thought once he used his stun on one person it was over with....NOPE. Stun the hole team, turtle, tiger dot, stun team, turtle, eat food, stun team, turtle, time for pie. ^-^
Aw. wow. I guess you may have fed a few udyr's some kills or maybe missed a good engagement opportunity on a K din before you figured that out huh. Might have lost you a game or so too. That must've sucked. Good thing you didn't go into a ranked game not knowing what your opponents could do and are now fully prepared to respond and react to their actions on the battlefield as a fully capable summoner, therefore saving both yours and others ELO for Season one play.