Announcer Backlog

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rev

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

I played in a few games over the weekend where at some point all or nearly all players met at one map point where a bloodbath ensued.

Basically, so many people were dying in such a short amount of time that the announcer was a good 10-15 seconds behind in the queue of announcements to yell.

This was hilarious to me post-bloodbath, when most people were waiting to respawn, and things were game-wise quiet, the announcer was still busy yelling "OWNED!" and "ANNIHILATED!" every few seconds.

So either it's a problem that needs to be alleviated somehow, or just an amusing quirk. Take it as you will.

redit

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

Agreed, it seems as if the game's audio is not good at picking up the pace when a lot of people die, although I seem to recall it being alright if *one* person got all the kills (OWNED -> DOUBLE KILL -> TRIPLE KILL!! -> ...), but if various people scored kills it's just ridiculous.

Rev

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

I wish I had a good suggestion for it, but I don't.

If they overwrote each other, the announcer would stutter and it'd sound terrible.
I don't want them removed because I love the voice, it reminds me of the announcer yells in Blood 2 death-match a lot.

It might slightly cheapen the effect, but maybe only have the announcer sound off for the first kill and not be able to sound off again until his current sound is complete, and skip the ones in between? So, in a fast-paced bloodbath event, the announcer might only get to yell once for every 2-3 kills or so. The kills could be shown on screen still, maybe just make the text and champion icon a little smaller and let them scroll up like scrolling combat text in World of Warcraft?

You'd get something like:

KILL "OWNED!"
KILL still yelling owned" - doesn't get an announcement
KILL "GODLIKE!"
KILL still yelling godlike - doesn't get an announcement
KILL still yelling godlike - doesn't get an announcement
KILL "ANIHILATED"
etc...

It's not ideal, but it doesn't happen THAT often, and it can't continue too much longer since most everyone has died.

micha

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I played in a few games over the weekend where at some point all or nearly all players met at one map point where a bloodbath ensued.

Basically, so many people were dying in such a short amount of time that the announcer was a good 10-15 seconds behind in the queue of announcements to yell.

This was hilarious to me post-bloodbath, when most people were waiting to respawn, and things were game-wise quiet, the announcer was still busy yelling "OWNED!" and "ANNIHILATED!" every few seconds.

So either it's a problem that needs to be alleviated somehow, or just an amusing quirk. Take it as you will.
Totally Agree, also the Announcements on the Screen are ways behind would like to see smaller kill notices but 2-3 lines for that, dunno how to fix announcer voice when theres a bloodbath ;(

Zarol

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

Another thing I noticed was the whole "owned" thing happened quite often =/. If it was 2 champions versus the other 2 and both got kills it would go "owned" and then "owned". Quite annoying =/.

RiotJeffJew

Content Producer

07-13-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys - we totally agree!

cwatz

Adjudicator

07-16-2009

I would have stricter filters so to speak. Stick to the announcer yelling out things that are more substantial like your typical double/triple kills, killing sprees, x team is owning ext. As you have acknowledged announcements for single kills is more of a detriment than a positive addition.

Darkmantis

07-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
I would have stricter filters so to speak. Stick to the announcer yelling out things that are more substantial like your typical double/triple kills, killing sprees, x team is owning ext. As you have acknowledged announcements for single kills is more of a detriment than a positive addition.
+1 Maybe you could announce more and more significant events as the game progresses, have a sliding scale of importance in a way -- a single kill is significant in the first minutes, but towards the end it will happen so often that it simply gets annoying, so the announcer could skip it and announce only more important events.

I also like the announcer voice because the first time I played I immediately thought UT and was waiting for "Headshot!"