Advice needed (Dominion)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2012

well, a lot to tell you, but i gotta jet, so i am a bit useless, might be back later!

one very good advice
posting in GD about Dom stuff is just plan silly. Half the people will say Dom sucks and it will get moved.

There are some mythbuster thread and some general advice thread around Dom forum that might help, and play a bit more to get the feel of the map. It has much more to offer then it seems
And feel free to come back with more specific question

adhlas

01-28-2012

If your team leaves you to defend multiple points, if you have a character with a projectile (or you're ranged), then try to stand between the two points, but make sure you don't get cut off by a bursty champion.

As far as AD carries go...long range AD carries can be good in the right situation, but you need lots of CC to keep people away from you for extended periods of time (Cait, Kog, Tristana etc.) Vayne is still super strong, even with nerfs... Sivir is really good. Graves is respectable. Miss Fortune and Ashe can work but only in the right conditions. I probably missed someone (don't say Urgot)...

Recalling is worth it. Don't stick around a point too long. However, if you already see the other team coming toward your point (especially the Windmill), stick it out unless you can already see you'll get creamed. (Like in a 1v3 or 2v4 situation.) If your teammate is low, don't take the health relic. If you're about to recall, don't take the health relic. Your teammate might need it.

Don't forget the power of pulling opponents off capture points via backdoor. You don't have to cap, just distract them.

If you're standing at a point and the circle looks safe, then clear minions.The longer you distract the opponent, the longer you hold your points. Don't die though.

Some currently really good champions.
Vayne, Ahri, Ezreal, Lee Sin (nerf T__T), Riven (haven't seen one in a while though), Yorick, Rammus, Shaco, late Warwick, late Tryndamere, Cassiopeia, Wukong (wrecks), Heimer, Maokai, Corki, Talon (screws everyone), Sivir, Ryze (not an extensive list)...

Samujin

01-28-2012

Oh wow, most posts, thanks alot everyone. Keep it coming if anyone has more to say!

KimKelley

01-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samujin View Post
Oh wow, most posts, thanks alot everyone. Keep it coming if anyone has more to say!

You'll get more posts if you ask actual questions. Just "tell me stuff" kind of leaves us at a loss for where to begin.

What, specifically, about Dominion would you like to know?

Additionally, there's a website with some okay general guides here.

http://dominatedominion.com/forum/vi...c909574531b71b

Kiddalee

01-28-2012

Heh. You posted at 1:17 in the morning. No wonder it took a while to get answers.

I am going to talk about manpower management in solo queue.

After the initial Windmill fight, never have four or five people in one place. If there is a problem at a certain point, like bottom being pushed, send half the team, not the whole team. If your whole team is already there, and the enemy is mia, you are going to lose all your other points. If half your team is already responding to one emergency, they shouldn't need you. Don't let the enemy divert you from guarding all your fronts.

Watch your bottom player's hp bar so you can cover for him when he is low, but if another teammate comes downstairs with you (and the enemy bottom doesn't merit it), just leave. You want to have less manpower downstairs so you can have more up top.

The reason why fat champs are so popular is because you are more likely to survive an ambush while traveling. This is especially helpful if you're alone, Ghosting to defend top while angrily pinging your team to stop sending 4v1 bottom. Squishy champs are still useful, but don't pick more than your fat teammates can take care of. Often two is plenty. Sorry, but instalocks don't work.

And I forgot: Welcome to Dominion! You should learn Dominion faster than Summoner's Rift because you can fit more whole games into your day. Dominion is fun and has a huge variety of strategies and picks. While we wait for Ranked, JabeBot can show you your Elo.

Samujin

01-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKelley View Post
You'll get more posts if you ask actual questions. Just "tell me stuff" kind of leaves us at a loss for where to begin.

What, specifically, about Dominion would you like to know?

Additionally, there's a website with some okay general guides here.

http://dominatedominion.com/forum/vi...c909574531b71b
It's kind of hard to ask specific questions about something you don't know, but I'll give it a try.

Like I asked already, what champions are considered not troll picks for dominion?

Is masteries/runes/builds the same for said champion in Dominion compared to Summoner's Rift?

Why the hell does Jarvan hit so freaking hard? x.x (Just got stomped in the face by him like five times ><)

Hmm, yea I can't think of anything more that is specific. If I do, I'll re-post or edit.

KimKelley

01-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samujin View Post
It's kind of hard to ask specific questions about something you don't know, but I'll give it a try.

Like I asked already, what champions are considered not troll picks for dominion?
Don't use them as a bible but a tier list will let you know the general thoughts on who is considered good and who is considered terribad. (However there is no, generally accepted, tier list in Dominion yet. People's opinions tend to vary quite a bit about the non-OP champs. Galio is a great example. Considered **** tier by some and fairly useful by others). I honestly can't think of a single champion who is a complete troll pick in dominion. There are clear powerful champs (rammus, Yorick, Shaco, Kassadin, wukong) and some champs that would be a troll pick unless in the hands of a skilled player (veigar, mundo). Somewhat depends on whether you're playing drafts vs blind. In general, however, if you're not bad at the champion, and know how to build them for dominion, there aren't really any troll picks.

Quote:
Is masteries/runes/builds the same for said champion in Dominion compared to Summoner's Rift?
By and large, this is a great big "HELL NO". With few exceptions (Rammus, Yorick) Dominion requires a different build for maximal use. This is more especially true of the less tanky DPS characters. You're not going to be able to run back to a tower for safety and you almost always want to be able to 1v1 another champ. (You don't always have to, in fact often you shouldn't, but you want to be ABLE to 1v1 a champion fairly well). Also, the mana intensive/less sustain champs aren't going to require as much mana regen nor health regen items as needed in SR. You'll be grabbing health packs and returning to base more often. Also, counterbuilding is a pretty big deal.

Quote:
Why the hell does Jarvan hit so freaking hard? x.x (Just got stomped in the face by him like five times ><)

Take a look at his kit on the wikia. The reason should be apparent to you. If you ever see him pair with a fizz just go elsewhere.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...lar_of_Demacia

Another guide from a newbie that I think has some good points. The tier-list is flawed though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...n_exclusively/

loumonger

01-28-2012

Hi Samujin,

I've played a little over 300 games in Dom and am still going strong! Dominion is a game that requires teamwork so if you can queue with friends you'll have a much better time than with randumbs. Excuse the phrasing but quite often random teammates can be all the raeg

I'm assuming you already know the basics of Dom so I won't go into that. What one must be aware of are the subtle mechanics behind the game if you want to come up ahead.

1: GANKING on the Crystal scar is imperative. When you see 3 top and 1 bottom, pay attention for the 5th. If you can catch that champ in the jungle you'll have a really good chance of overtaking the other team. Too often I have pinged a stray enemy to initiate a gank on and no one responds. When turning the tide of battle this approach is a must. It will tease the enemies at top to venture into the jungle that you now own.

2: NEVER rush a turret alone (unless...). This includes pushing minion waves. But don't push a minion wave if you know that most of the enemy team is dead and you have a free 15 seconds to grab the turret.

3: NEUTRALIZE TURRETS. Keep in mind that neutralizing a turret is just as useful for your team as taking it. This also stops the spawning of minions, making it easier for your minions to push a lane or stop the clock on your base.

4: PING INTENTIONS. Pinging a line of attack to follow or when an enemy is heading down for a gank will help your allies tremendously. Don't let your enemies move around unaccounted for. This also includes pinging when an enemy is grabbing the shield. You just might be able to gank them and force them to lose an important relic.

5: MAP AWARENESS, LEARN IT. Whilst moving from point to point keep an eye on what your enemies are doing. This in hand with all the above steps can grant you victory, even against and "OP" team. Remember that coordination among your team is key and when you can't talk to them via vent or some other VOIP then ping. It might be more effective.

6: TEAM COMP. The most obvious and decisive means to an end. I have won games with the most ridiculous team compositions (all AP, straight AD, no tank, etc) but the recipe for success is balance. You might get lucky and win with an all AP glass cannon team but it's not recommended. You know the drill: AD melee, ad ranged, cc tank, ap carry, hybrid. This comp will typically win any dom game with proper coordination.

Well I hope this helps you, GL & HF.

The Monger

The LORD saves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Tho76

01-28-2012

The most important rule in Dominion (IMO) is Point > Kill. If there is a 4v3 team fight, and you are the 4, CAP while your team fights (unless they really need you). Don't chase that annoying Janna across the whole map, even if you kill her it wasn't worth it. Points are important.
And about champs - Tanky DPS are generally good, and CC is nice.