How well ElO system works. Please explain

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tennex

07-20-2010

This is a lvl 29 who wins 50 percent of his games.

Attachment 43939

I would like an explanation about why someone who wins 50 percent of his games is of a higher ranking than me. I would also like to know why matchmaking is pairing me with someone who is lvl 29 and only wins 50% of his games and yet is a higher ranking than me. Thanks.

For the record i am not amazing. I win 57% of my games. now the problem with that is this lvl 29 with only 50% win rate is up in my solo queue dragging my win rate down so that I am in a match with his 50% win rate. I have lost my 7% chance to win that match.

Ecaflip

07-20-2010

I am going assume you are trolling by your overuse of dragging down, that you are a sub 30 upset that you cannot use ranked matches any longer.

You are a statistical anomaly, for every one of you there is (insert number from graph) that leave, lose and are terribad, from said graph that number is significantly lower for level 30s.

Lower number is good and better for a more competitive gaming environment, go play normal games that all us level 30s used in our twenties, you havn't lost anything we had.

Tennex

07-20-2010

can someone please take a crack at this for me

Fuzzypickles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2010

Elo is based on ranking of your opponent. If you beat a 1500 rank player you'll gain more points than if you beat a 900 rank player. Chances are he went against stronger opponents more often, so even though his win/loss record is worse, he's higher ranked.

Tennex

07-20-2010

I win 57% of my matches... 63% of my ezreal matches and 75% of my shaco matches. why is this guy with a 47% win ratio on his main at a higher ranking than me? he doesnt even speak english. How am i trolling? isn't this a legitimate reason to be upset? Why are you answering this question your only lvl 13? how could you possibly have any idea what i'm talking about?

Tennex

07-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzypickles View Post
Elo is based on ranking of your opponent. If you beat a 1500 rank player you'll gain more points than if you beat a 900 rank player. Chances are he went against stronger opponents more often, so even though his win/loss record is worse, he's higher ranked.
statistically speaking. If elo matches you with 50% win and 50% lose. why does he get tougher opponents than me?

Fuzzypickles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2010

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask.

The matchmaking is different from Elo. Matchmaking seems to be having all sorts of issues, so even teams aren't really guaranteed.

Tennex

07-20-2010

what i mean is. if the difficulty of the teams are so that he gets the same amount of tough opponents as me (because its 50% for everybody) how are his opponents tougher. And if he does beat the tougher opponents would he not have overcome the 50% ratio and gotten a >50% win rate.

unless he is losing to easier opponents and winning to harder ones so that it evens out. but that doesnt make sense either because losing against easier opponents will drag you down more than losing against harder opponents.

why are non lvl 30s posting in this thread. have you guys done matchmaking yet

Leej

07-20-2010

He's probably just had a lot of games against "difficult" matchups. If he wins them, he gets a lot of ranking up, if he loses them, he doesn't drop very far.

And a level 29 has still probably played a lot of games, it's not like he should be an inexperienced player.

Tennex

07-20-2010

So if he loses the harder ones its no problem but if he wins them its great.

If he loses difficult ones he loses less. if he wins difficult ones he gains more.
i would assume that this also applies to easier matchups.
if he loses easier ones he loses more. if he wins easier ones he gains less

If he has a 50% win lose. say he plays 100 games. he wins 50 harder matches he gains more rank. he loses 50 easier ranked matches he should lose just as much as he has gained... This is the only possible way for him to have maintained a 50% ratio.

the only exception would be if matchmaking somehow penalizes you less for losing to easier teams. than they do reward you for winning to difficult teams.