Is Nocturne Viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mc magic 18

01-27-2012

im planning on buying a new jungler but not sure who to get. Ive been looking into Nocturne recently but i haven't seen many of the professions play him lately. Is the reason for this that he just isn't very viable for high elo, or just not at all.

I myself am not a high elo so would Nocturne be a good choice?

madstylish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2012

nocturne's got a pretty flexible jungle and good ganks. he has teamfight presence but it's not as good as some other junglers (see: amumu, maokai, gangplank).

ThaWiseWolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamasalive View Post
nocturne's got a pretty flexible jungle and good ganks. he has teamfight presence but it's not as good as some other junglers (see: amumu, maokai, gangplank).
Basically this. Hes similar to Shaco in that hes too squishy for teamfighting. And hes similar to Lee Sin in that you can build not that many damage items then build defense items and do well. Youre going to need to rely on that post level 6 pre teamfight range to get solid ganks and stay reasonably viable picking off single targets late game.

Degato

01-27-2012

Noct is the bomb yo and seems fine in TFs to me. Yes, he is squishy if you build him that way. I go...21/9/0 masteries, APen reds, Armor Yellows, half flat MR & MR/level blues, AD quints (lots of options for quints but this works for me).

Items....

Boots (Amgi or Tabi), Wriggles, YouMoos (spelling), Phage, Atmas, Phage into FMallet, Wit's End and then it just depends on the game on my next item(s). That's always enough DPS for ganks/killing and makes me able to stay in a TF just fine. Obviously, you aren't a pure tank so dodge in and out of the melee just like any other melee carry would/should.

Noct is the bomb yo!

Turney

01-27-2012

Why would you not take buff duration mastery if you are going to jungle.. what does he need from the 21 in the offensive tree?

Build a banshee veil and you have two spell blocks...and as said above, you do not need many offensive items, so just build Wriggles and then tanky items. He will not be very squishy.

Degato

01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turney View Post
Why would you not take buff duration mastery if you are going to jungle.. what does he need from the 21 in the offensive tree?
I would argue for the extra speed more than the buff duration in the utility tree. The buffs aren't even that important for him imo. He jungles super easy without either of them and already has amazing ganks. I give blue buff to my mid (after the first) instead of me taking it, this goes a lot farther for my team then me getting it. Red buff is nice but it doens't make or break my TFs if I have it. Mid/late game I'll give it to Cait or Graves (which ever one is on my team). Jungle is a support role, if you aren't playing it that way, you aren't really doing it right. Support by warding, controlling dragon/buffs (both teams)/baron and ganking/covering lanes when needed.

As this thread is discussing he falls off in team fights. Building him more tanky (as you yourself mention) and having a bit more resists/HPs from the defensive mastery tree makes him more viable in team fights. Noct has always been fine without the utility tree for me.

Everyone has what works for them though, this is how I prefer to build him.

NirvanaFr3ak

02-03-2012

Nocturne is a great Jungler and one of the best Gankers in Ranked if played well. At this moment he is not top tier so you don't see him used by pros often. He is simply a balanced champion. Don't play champs based on what pros used tho, it won't matter. They have the skills to bring out these otherwise balanced champs(top tier) and make them godly. Use whoever you want and feel most confortable with. I love Noct and I wouldn't trade him for any other jungler.

Killzerz

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by codxmlgxprox420x View Post
Basically this. Hes similar to Shaco in that hes too squishy for teamfighting. And hes similar to Lee Sin in that you can build not that many damage items then build defense items and do well. Youre going to need to rely on that post level 6 pre teamfight range to get solid ganks and stay reasonably viable picking off single targets late game.
What. Tanky Nocturne is still very good. He is FotM anymore, which is why you don't see him but he is still very strong. I figure as soon as people "rediscover" him he is going to be just fine. He is like old Cass (which is exactly like new Cass except...) where they are very good but terribly underplayed. Just wait. He is still extremely viable.

acosn

02-03-2012

He's a laughably easy jungle, and a potent anti-caster. If you know how to handle him really the only way you can **** up playing him is if you build him poorly (hint: He's an AD assassin, not Lee Sin.) or simply show up at the wrong time. His entire character is built around picking one person to kill, and then killing them.