What about a GCD?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SKeeTerTheDog

07-20-2010

What is LoL had a Global Cool Down? Just started thinking about this...

Would it make mages inert? Would it raise the skill ceiling on any/many/most/all champions? I for one think it would be an interesting mechanic. Maybe a .5 second delay between abilities. Certain combos are just overpowered with the ability to use 5+ abilities in a split second, while on their own work well but not OP.

Malzahearty Soup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-20-2010

Somewhere, Karthus weeps inconsolably.

rekrn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2010

Certain spells have a cast tiem already that isn't listed. The animation of spells is the global cooldown in itself.

They would have to redesign the entire game to balance it if they made this change. And really this wouldn't add any skill to the game.

Yes you can get wtf exploded in under 2 seconds by certain champions but the player behind that champion has to time and coordinate 3-5 button pressing in a certain order in under those 2 seconds also. That seems more skilled than having everything on a 1.5 second cd.

SKeeTerTheDog

07-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrn View Post
Certain spells have a cast tiem already that isn't listed. The animation of spells is the global cooldown in itself.

They would have to redesign the entire game to balance it if they made this change. And really this wouldn't add any skill to the game.

Yes you can get wtf exploded in under 2 seconds by certain champions but the player behind that champion has to time and coordinate 3-5 button pressing in a certain order in under those 2 seconds also. That seems more skilled than having everything on a 1.5 second cd.
While i agree to an extent, can you think of any skill that has an animation cooldown that doesn't expressedly have a recast or stated cast time associated with it? Because you can simultaneously incinerate and disintegrate on annie for example, or at least sure don't have to wait for the animation to finish. And I do think several characters this would raise the skill cap.

In regards to karthus: wut? I'm talking a GCD comparable to lay waste recast, not a 2 second delay.

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

07-20-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

We used to have a GCD early in beta.. We removed it because it really didnt feel very good. Lots of spells have cast times as it is, which lets us have effectively a GCD that we can tweak per spell.

Decendt

07-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKeeTerTheDog View Post
What is LoL had a Global Cool Down? Just started thinking about this...

Would it make mages inert? Would it raise the skill ceiling on any/many/most/all champions? I for one think it would be an interesting mechanic. Maybe a .5 second delay between abilities. Certain combos are just overpowered with the ability to use 5+ abilities in a split second, while on their own work well but not OP.
Although certain combos maybe overpowered...GCD is only a good idea in games where you have more than 4 spells. In this game, having individual CD is good enough, and like Lima Beans said, its easy to manage/tweak.