AP or AD katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

virus3

07-20-2010

I bought katarina mounth ago and played her a lot. I like her so much and i keep trying a new ways to play her.
I always building Ability Power on her and it works fine. But some teammates said that I should build attack dmg. Her ulti will do more dmg then(50/65/80 + 55% of her AD). When i building AP ulti deals 50/65/80 + 30% of her AP. With AD build I will use shanpo to move me in center of teamfight or for escape and Bouncing Blade will do more damage.
So my question is which build is stronger, which will afford me more kills?
And why does everyone building ability power?

Viral

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2010

i play AP when my team has no CC.
i play AD when my team has CC.

BlackRampage

07-20-2010

AD is the superior choice.

Seargent Hatred

07-20-2010

You can always base it around the types of damage your team is going to be doing. If you have an AP heavy team, go AD. It also helps to look at the opposing team composition. Rammus is generally going to have very high armor, so AD is less viable against him. Either way, the playstyle is similar so it's best to adapt based on the situation.

Ofri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-20-2010

Most people seem to say AD, but I've yet to see an AD that helped the team more than my AP Kat.
Kat obviously needs MR pen, which you can only get with AP items. Kat doesn't have a good auto attack, so life steal and on hit effect which are in AD items are kinda wasted on her (not that she gains much from spell vamp), Ryali's Scepter is almost a must for Kat (AP, just in case someone didn't know).
Shunpo (AP) can be used more often than Bouncing blade (AD), and has better synergy with Killer instincts. Bouncing blade is nice for harassment\slowing escaping enemies, but for me Shunpo is the main sustained damage source.
Zhonya is also one of the best items for Kat because of it's active. Most times people will try to burst Kat down, because you can escape quite easily. If you use the ring right, you can avoid their initial burst and go from being the target to being the chaser as they try to run from you.
The last thing is that people will stack armor more often than MR, so that makes your MR pen that much better.

aycheff

07-20-2010

AD, grab a AP item (Rylai's, Haunting Guise, etc.) if you need a bit more survivability.

Ghettobarney

07-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seargent Hatred View Post
You can always base it around the types of damage your team is going to be doing. If you have an AP heavy team, go AD. It also helps to look at the opposing team composition. Rammus is generally going to have very high armor, so AD is less viable against him. Either way, the playstyle is similar so it's best to adapt based on the situation.

Wrong, so very wrong.

I think alot of the confusion comes from posts like this. Kat does magic damage regardless of weather it comes from AD or AP, all of her abilities do magic damage, it's just what it scales off of is AD or AP. Bouncing Blades deal Magic damage, Shunpo deals magic damage, Death Lotus deals magic damage. Armor is useless against Kat because believe it or not but Katarina is a mage, not a DPS, if you are trying to play her as such then you are doing it wrong, go play Yi.

Generally speaking it is superior to go the AD route as it fits the Meta game better right now as it has better harras potential and is less reliant on snowballing.

That said, if you think the game will drag on past the 40 minute mark (it rarely does) then go AP, as you can get higher amounts of AP late game than AD, and you can get Void staff/Abyssal.

Personally I like to go with a hyrbridish build, with BT and Abyssal. The biggest argument towards AP kat's favor is that building AP means it's easier to build magic pen into the build, though personally with just Sorc shoes masteries and runes I usually have about 50-60 magic pen, which is plenty most of the time, unless they are stacking a lot of MR.

AP Kat has better single target nuke, however that doesn't really fit into the current "meta game" as it requires her to be in harms way and if single target nukes where the way to go right now then Veigar would be considered top tier.

AD kat has better time farming as well so keep that in mind. It's VERY easy to last hit 4 minions or more at a time with BB with just a bit of AD.

Also for those who think AD kat is squishy stop acting like Frozen Mallet doesn't exist, it's basically the equivalent of Rylais, it's very easy to get an auto attack on your shunpo target.

The play styles are far as fighting don't really change. Shunpo then autoattack squishy once, pop exhaust Death lotus, hit with BB and if they are still alive then Shunpo again, ignite dead.

virus3

07-20-2010

Thank you for answers.

Can you suggest any item build for AD katarina ?

I saw one guild on LoL forum. This is what they suggest:
Regrowth Pendant
Ninja Tabi
BF Sword
BF Sword -> Infinity Edge
Bloodthirster
Zeal
Zeal -> Phantom Dancer/Trinity Force

What do you think about that?

Ideal

07-20-2010

AD kat for a few reasons

1. auto attack damage, despite not being an auto attack champ you will still use your auto attacks in cases where people are near death. being able to finish people off with auto attacks to proc your passive helps a lot.

2. Killer Instincts gives passive damage, AP doesn't benefit from this so its a waste of a passive.

3. Bouncing Blades is her best harassing skill and it doesnt benefit from AP, Using shunpo to harass is ******ed and i dont recommend it

BTW a good build is to get sorc boots, haunting guise, BF sword, Banshees, more AD