Who counters Cho'Gath?

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2012

I've been playing him Solo Top lately and ever since my first game I've been 100% winning the game. Since I'm not lvl 30, it's still normals so it's usually a 2v1 matchup but I still hold it just fine (he's pro farming under the turret).

Because of my success, and the lack of Cho in tournaments/high level streams... I'm assuming that he's not super viable or maybe I'm just doing something a little differently... So I have two questions:

1) Why isn't Cho played much in ranked games
2) Who counters Cho? (Far range harass, sustain, CC, nuke, silence... he's got it all)

*This is during laning phase*

Forrestfire15

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2012

I know Kog'Maw counters cho'gath pretty well... But I don't know how much he's played.

I've also found that when I play someone with heavy harass and high mobility I can easily outlane Cho'gath. I main Galio, and he's a beast against Cho. Magic resistance + high damage, long range poke makes for a won lane.

xXCFXx Avenger

01-25-2012

Cho is very strong in the lane phase. I would not say there is a "direct" counter. there are several champs that he has a hard time against. I would pick Irelia of the top of my head.

The reason he is not played in ranked is simple. He is just a big ball of HP that relies on short range skillshots. He is a tank with no armour. He is a mage with long cooldowns. He just doesn't fit in well. AND late in the game HP doesn't really matter(a vayne will tear through 5k NP) its all about armour.

hope that helps. Its not very encouraging, he needs a buff in my opinion.

Quick Rawr

01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger2142 View Post
Cho is very strong in the lane phase. I would not say there is a "direct" counter. there are several champs that he has a hard time against. I would pick Irelia of the top of my head.

The reason he is not played in ranked is simple. He is just a big ball of HP that relies on short range skillshots. He is a tank with no armour. He is a mage with long cooldowns. He just doesn't fit in well. AND late in the game HP doesn't really matter(a vayne will tear through 5k NP) its all about armour.

hope that helps. Its not very encouraging, he needs a buff in my opinion.
So you build Armor/MR and then also have naturally a buttload of hp. You disrupt to allow your carries to deal damage/save them from assassins that your team is able to drop quickly. I just don't see how a Cho that has good map and team awareness isn't a good addition to a team.

magna200

01-25-2012

The league just seems to judging on the larger champions too harshly. The largest champions are often looked down upon while the yordles get all the love.

Quick Rawr

01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna200 View Post
The league just seems to judging on the larger champions too harshly. The largest champions are often looked down upon while the yordles get all the love.
Yordles do deserve the love though. I love me some Teemo (:

XXXandBEER

01-25-2012

Cho is played a good bit in competitive play. His biggest problem though is its super hard to carry with just cho. Theres better solo tops which is why hes not used.

But as for counters tanky dps nidalee destroys cho

RodeHisPwny

01-25-2012

WW counters Cho pretty hard. WW sustains much better and doesn't push the lane as hard. (Thus, better lane control) Irelia also counters Cho after 6.

Quick Rawr

01-25-2012

It would have to be a good Irelia, which there aren't many of.

And I don't see how WW counters Cho as much as he does neutralize. He doesn't have good harass, only sustain.

Werevark

01-26-2012

People who scale crazy good with farm and who last hit well at turret. Cho'Gath isn't usually a murderer in lane, although he can be if well-played or mistakes are made.
Nasus comes to mind as someone who can farm up a storm at turret with the neccessary sustain.
Mundo also counters him...DON'T LAUGH! Mundo counters all health building tops. He just spams cleaver for free, dealing % health damage, and he can scamper away from whatever he pleases. He is also strong against Singed.

12345 ... 8