Petition to nerf or fix MOST banned champs in ranked matches!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ristaccia

07-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFett View Post
Eventually if they balance the champs, bans will be more based on personal perference and getting rid of hard counters to your team comp than who is OP this week.

Still as long as riot introduces a new champ every two weeks I have little hope that we'll ever see that state of balance.
Agreed.

Xhieron

07-20-2010

Someone mentioned this a few pages ago, but I'm going to reiterate the point, because it's extremely important: This is a slippery slope.

Let's assume in the first place that it's even possible to rank the champions in order from best to worst. We know it's not, as the myriad of tier lists out there clearly demonstrate. But let's assume, for sake of argument, that we can put them all in a line, in terms of brokenness for bannability. If the statistics are an indication, we'll say, again for sake of argument, that Shaco, Heimer, Soraka, etc., make up the front end of that list, not necessarily in that order. It doesn't really matter for the point to be clear.

Here again I'm speaking hypothetically--I haven't played any ranked games in the first place; before anybody who disagrees with what I say decides that my lack of experience with ranked disqualifies me from commenting, though, let me inform you up front that this is a logical argument, and it doesn't need anecdotal evidence to be true.

So we have a ban spectrum all the way from Shaco and friends down to--I dunno, Tryndamere. Poor *******, he ends up bottoming out on all the tier lists, so I guess he's as good a candidate as any to go at the end of this list too. Again, doesn't matter.

Here's the point. If you nerf Shaco, Heimer, Soraka, Shen, etc., eventually you're going to reach a point where they've dropped back in the list of bannability. Instead of being numbers one through five, they're numbers twenty through twenty-five, let's say.

So now you have five brand-spanking new candidates who consistently get the ban treatment, since they are perceived (whether they actually are or not) as most threatening. I noticed that Ezreal is not on your ban-nerf list, but I have a feeling that if he were still a healer, he probably would have been. But if he were, Zilean (or whoever) would be just far enough down on the list to not be banned as consistently, and so he wouldn't be nearly as noticeable in terms of consistent ban treatment.

--until, of course, you nerfed all the others. Then there would be cries to nerf whoever had fallen off the radar, and then the next guy, and then the next, until Tryndamere is at last rightfully on top of the heap (go team crit). And then we'll hear cries of ENDLRESSRAGESZOPOPOPNERFNERFRAWRE@!!!!111! --and what have you. Well that's no good.

Some heroes are annoying. Nobody likes to be on the receiving end of something frustrating. I hate getting Shaco-shanked as much as the next guy, and I grit my teeth whenever I see him in a lineup. But annoyance isn't the same thing as good, and controlly characters aren't fun to play against no matter what. You're never going to make the perceived power spectrum go away no matter how hard you try to balance, and by changing characters to make them less annoying, you end up gutting a vital strategic element of the game. And that's not to say that developers shouldn't try to balance the game--only that if everyone got to nerf the champions that we disliked facing, every champ in the game would be nerfed.

SimpleNoob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2010

My Response to your thread all here http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...=174359&page=2

Jenova Project

07-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFett View Post
I can and do expect this. If Riot spend more time balancing champs and less time upsetting it with new ones, we'd get this eventually.
It will never happen in any game, ever. Some champions will always be better than others. In Super Smash Brothers Melee some characters are simply better for competitive play than others. In competitive pokemon some monsters are viable and others simply are not. In Magic: The Gathering some decks and cards are good enough for tournament play and others just aren't. The same is true for this game. Some champions are better than others. Some champions make the cut and others just dont.