Mordekaiser is completely underestimated in bot lane.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aimless saint

01-24-2012

Even Yorick users think they can shove me out of lane, and I've been having extreme success with Morde.

Using Spellvamp quints has really been the key. I've been outlasting and outdamaging pretty much anything sent bot. I win almost every trade and win heath relic by default. It almost always results in a 1v2 bot, forcing uneven battles up top.

Anyone else have success with Morde?

(granted, I am not 2k elo in Dominion, but just wanted to share my success)

Nunkuruji

01-24-2012

Yes, but I only choose him if my team has reliable CC. I otherwise typically choose Maokai.

FYI, you can semi-start revolver+boots by recalling after the first points have been capped.

aimless saint

01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunkuruji View Post
Yes, but I only choose him if my team has reliable CC. I otherwise typically choose Maokai.

FYI, you can semi-start revolver+boots by recalling after the first points have been capped.
Very true in regards to reliable CC, but in regards to getting that early revolver, I'd rather be able to contest the health relic early and get as much harass in as possible.

Argodis

01-24-2012

I played pre-buff Morde bot lane and did well so I definitely know he's a strong bot.

Euthrosyne

01-24-2012

Morde, I find, works wonders against most bot champs, having been on the receiving end. I do note a pattern, though. As he steps up and becomes harder to beat for the standard bots, his counters do as well, and AD carries will ruin Morde's day every single time from mid-late game on. Had a Morde who basically wrecked their bot for half the game, until they started sending a Tryndamere to help, and then he basically lost 1 on 1 with Tryn every single time from that point on.

Maybe it was just the Morde, but has anyone noted the same thing?

aimless saint

01-24-2012

I notice that if they send a ranged AD bot, I usually outharass them away from the creep line (Graves, in the most recent instance), they get underfarmed, and then they try to send someone to gank, my creep wave is usually right at their Capture point, so it's almost impossible for them to capture my point in retaliation, if I do die. But, more often than not, I usually just escape and back.

Morde becomes a pretty handy 1v2'er late game if built tankier, and in Dom, I think that is absolutely necessary, considering he will be encountering 1v2 late game most of the time, if you're doing your job correctly.

Isysar

01-24-2012

I find starting Morde with a Hextech Revolver + potion can indeed very thoroughly dominate bottom lane. I've also done well against Yorick, but also Gragas, Renekton, and even Hiemerdinger to some extent.

The point about CC is well taken of course; your team really needs good hard CC up top, and I consider Rylai's nearly a 100% core must have item on Mordekaiser, to at least give him SOME kind of CC.

My problem with him is that I really feel he's built more for Summoner's Rift. The more minions that are around him, the stronger and more undefeatable he is, but quite often, and the bigger advantage you gain through farm. Put him mid in SR and have him dowraiths in between creep waves and he can farm up to be extremely powerful.

But he basically can't do that in dominion. Yah, he's still fine against most bottom laners, but the problem comes from ganks. As was mentioned, AD carries often rape Mordekaiser, and because everyone gets free gold, I don't feel Morde can get ahead enough to reliably 2v1.

I've certainly had awesome games as Morde, don't get me wrong. I've been turret dived 3v1 and survived the whole thing with Ignite + Ult on an AD, spell spam with a bunch of spell vamp and Summoner Heal. It can work and he's certainly fun to play.

The issue is there are better bottom laners who contribute to potential team fights, or are much safer from ganks than Mordekaiser is.

And the final downside is that imo Morde needs those fat ass expensive items, like the SUPER expensive ones. You want a Gunblade, you want Deathcap, you want Rylais, all of them over 3k, 2 of them 3.6k basically. Those and boots and maybe a chain vest and that's about what you can buy for the whole game. Sure you can just get a WotA instead of a Gunblade, and get some extra AP or defense or whatever, but that's about all you can get. But when you can't build a gold advantage over another player, and that Jarvan can build a Prospecter's Blade, a Brutalizer, a Trinity Force and then straight defensive items that combine to give him better damage, more survivablity and all his innate CC, why pick Morde?

Morde is super strong in SR because he can outfarm and get a massive Gold advantage. When those 3 or 4 crucial team fights happen, Morde kills the carry and then makes it a 6v4. But in Dominion he can't get a gold advantage, and if you put him Bottom lane, where's he best, you're wasting his ult and potential to turn around a big team fight.

I still play him, and he's fun, and does well against certain team comps; but there's just better bottom lane choices, and WAY better top lane choices; he's really hurt by having no CC whatsoever.

EMeta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euthrosyne View Post
Morde, I find, works wonders against most bot champs, having been on the receiving end. I do note a pattern, though. As he steps up and becomes harder to beat for the standard bots, his counters do as well, and AD carries will ruin Morde's day every single time from mid-late game on. Had a Morde who basically wrecked their bot for half the game, until they started sending a Tryndamere to help, and then he basically lost 1 on 1 with Tryn every single time from that point on.

Maybe it was just the Morde, but has anyone noted the same thing?
Precisely. He's excellent against the bot champs that push consistently. Heimer, Singed, Soraka, etc. have some problems against him once he gets to level 7 since they can't help killing minions if they're attacking. It's basically an out-sustain build and it works against big pushers like those champs. But if you don't push, and have a champ with some burst, he dies quickly.

In conclusion: good counter-pick, but easily countered himself.

TheFunderstorm

01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless saint View Post
Even Yorick users think they can shove me out of lane, and I've been having extreme success with Morde.

Using Spellvamp quints has really been the key. I've been outlasting and outdamaging pretty much anything sent bot. I win almost every trade and win heath relic by default. It almost always results in a 1v2 bot, forcing uneven battles up top.

Anyone else have success with Morde?

(granted, I am not 2k elo in Dominion, but just wanted to share my success)
Well I do play in 2k Elo Dominion games and I have never seen a Morde do well bot lane. It seems like every other champion is able to easily push him out of the lane or win with ease.

Isysar

01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMeta View Post
Precisely. He's excellent against the bot champs that push consistently. Heimer, Singed, Soraka, etc. have some problems against him once he gets to level 7 since they can't help killing minions if they're attacking. It's basically an out-sustain build and it works against big pushers like those champs. But if you don't push, and have a champ with some burst, he dies quickly.

In conclusion: good counter-pick, but easily countered himself.
This I would firmly agree with. If you've up against laners like these, and they enemy hasn't already picked some nasty ADs that do very well with cheap items (Wukong, Pantheon, Jarvan, etc), I can definitely see Mordekaiser as a strong counter-pick. I'd go with that. I don't mean to say Morde is worthless; just not always the best pick.