What do people mean by "carry"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grutz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2009

What is a "carry"?

I've heard it used in context as an adjective describing a character; but what does that mean about them?

VoxDissident

The Council

10-13-2009

"Carry" is a term that is typically used to refer to the primary damage dealer / killer on a team. So you will usually see a carry have the highest number of kills on that team, by the end of the game. Carrys may often start with low effectiveness at early game and rise to power through the mid / late game. The carry is usually a character that your team wants to feed, you want him to farm and get the best gear possible so he can own.

"Carry" is also a verb. When a player "carries" a team, this means he played the most significant role in helping the team win. Without him, the team would have had less of a chance, though this doesn't mean that the carry doesn't need teammates or that he does all the work, or that he is MVP of the Universe and has the biggest e-peen in the world.

"Carries" are usually squishier than tanks and not necessarily the most capable disablers. So they usually rely on their team to support, they ask their tanks to initiate into the fight and take the brunt of the enemy assault so that the carry can do their killing business. Carries also usually rely on their support heroes to disable enemy team members, but also rely on support for heals / shields / cleanses / resurrection / buffs. A buffed carry is a happy carry.

The carry role is less strict and less defined in LoL than in DotA, but it's still there.

ZGBudai

10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxDissident View Post
"Carry" is a term that is typically used to refer to the primary damage dealer / killer on a team. So you will usually see a carry have the highest number of kills on that team, by the end of the game. Carrys may often start with low effectiveness at early game and rise to power through the mid / late game. The carry is usually a character that your team wants to feed, you want him to farm and get the best gear possible so he can own.

"Carry" is also a verb. When a player "carries" a team, this means he played the most significant role in helping the team win. Without him, the team would have had less of a chance, though this doesn't mean that the carry doesn't need teammates or that he does all the work, or that he is MVP of the Universe and has the biggest e-peen in the world.

"Carries" are usually squishier than tanks and not necessarily the most capable disablers. So they usually rely on their team to support, they ask their tanks to initiate into the fight and take the brunt of the enemy assault so that the carry can do their killing business. Carries also usually rely on their support heroes to disable enemy team members, but also rely on support for heals / shields / cleanses / resurrection / buffs. A buffed carry is a happy carry.

The carry role is less strict and less defined in LoL than in DotA, but it's still there.
Everything this guy said.

The Carry 'Sterotype' is the Speedy Agility Champion like Master Yi or Ashe who rely mostly on auto attacks and percentage based spells.

Almost any champion can carry by supporting, tanking, or ganking, but carries are usually associated directly with k/d ratios.

Stealth Lord

10-13-2009

I've seen more ganking carries then farming carries. Kat and Twitch are ganking people but ive seen both go in and rambo about 3 heroes killing them all with their ult/skills. When I went Kat I was GOD... jk but i mean i get fb with my ult right off the bat then kill 2 heroes on a 1 on 3 scenario.

VoxDissident

The Council

10-13-2009

Yeah... well Kat and Twitch can both carry and they can both gank reasonably well. Some carries do better starting in the jungle than other carry champions. Yi, Jax, Warwick, Tryndamere, all make great junglers and great end game carries. It's also great for junglers to come out and gank after they reach a certain level. Jungler ganks are usually highly unexpected, since there was nothing to call MIA in the first place.

Mordraer

10-13-2009

isn't there a thread somewhere of commonly used LoL terms?