AP Marks over MPen Marks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Øvercast

01-23-2012

Chaox and Doublelift uses all AD marks for dps carries because of the 10% ArPen mastery point, AD scaling, and making last hitting easier. According to them, AD benefits overshadow the non-scaling nature, and neglegible damage of ArPen marks.

Why don't jiji or Reginald use all AP marks for their casters? Why don't they go straight up AP then void staff?

Input please

Skyliner

01-23-2012

err. i'm no pro but when i jungle Nocturne i go 25 ArPen,13arm,13mr for runes.

With masteries that gives 31 arm pen. add ghostblade it gives 51. Add Black Cleaver and you hit for true damage on every single opponent who doesn't have any kind of +armor.

to me, 9 AD from Marks or 7 AD from Quints, or even 16 AD from Marks and Quints is negligible once you hit 6.

It's much easier to get AD from items than it is ArmPen.

But Noc also has an AD steroid in his Q.

Even on a champ without an AD buff skill, AD from Runes seems useless.

If you can't last hit without AD runes, you're doing something wrong.

Cenerae

01-23-2012

The concept behind running all AD runes on carries is that bot lane tends to be a farmfest, so you're more worried about getting your lasthits than you are of doing marginally more damage to your opponents. Having that extra AD will likely make your early game stronger as a result, and it won't even be all that detrimental to your damage vs players.

Running AP over magic pen on a mage is something completely different, though. Most mages don't use spells to lasthit, or if they do, they don't need extra AP to do so. It would directly weaken their early game when it came to PvP combat, since magic resist does not naturally grow for a lot of champions like armor does.

If you wanted to play more aggressively with your carries, then you wouldn't want all AD runes. A mix of AD and armor pen would give the best results. But the top players have realised that the difference in damage is slight, but making their lasthitting easier is a good thing.

Prometheius

01-23-2012

Because all AP marks means you're getting 1/5 the effect of MPen while scaling much worse into late-game.