AD Shen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foxhound300

01-22-2012

I love playing Shen. Other than Brand he was the first champion that caught my eye, even if it took me months to play him because I wasn't a big fan of his abilities. I used to play him as more of a support tank on bot lane with an AD range, generally making my friends invincible with my Q (in fact one of my friends plays Vayne and calls me his personal savior), but I recently picked up on the whole "solo top Shen" and have done relatively well with that as well, though still as a support build.

Three days ago, however, a guy I rarely play with laned with me and gave me this huge lecture both during and after the game about how I was screwing up his last hits by trying to Q heal for both of us. I wasn't stealing kills, understand, I was just making the minions weaker by using Q when necessary to heal any damage. But no, he wasn't having any of it and insisted that the only way to play Shen was top like the "pro streams" do.

But that wasn't the end of it. He also suggested a new build for me, another one that the "pros use." I've tried it three times and went 1-2 (though none of those losses were anywhere near my fault, one was due to a partner d/cing at the end and another had a teammate going lanewick), but I figured I'd ask about it here to see what you guys think. I'll post my "support" build for comparison.

"Support" Shen (old build)
Doran's Shield
Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads
Aegis of Legion
Sunfire Cape
Thornmail/Force of Nature
Ryali's Crystal Scepter
misc, generally Frozen Mallet for giggles and additional health/slow/dmg

AD Shen (friend's build)
Warmogs (Start with regrowth pendant and a health potion)
Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads
Atma's Impaler
Ryali's Crystal Scepter
Trinity Force (really not sure about this, he says its for the AS and MS, but then why not get like a phantom dancer?)
Thornmail/Force of Nature

tl;dr is the AD Shen build above viable?

Ruka Urushibara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2012

I might replace the rylai's with frozen mallet. I wonder if ionic spark might work for this build...

Astral Yorae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-23-2012

I am not sure if AD is the best way, but below I will say how I play him. It gives him a good amount of AD damage with Sheen.

Shen and Leona are the only "tanks" I enjoy playing.
The build I use for him usually is (not in order):
- Frozen Mallet
- Rilay
- Raduin or Thornmail (usually Thornmail if I grab Abyssal, below)
- Boots
- Free
- Free

The "Free" slots vary according to enemy team. If I need MR I usually get Abyssal+Lichbane.
If I need move speed, I get Force of Nature and Trinity Force (last item finsihed, if finish).

I have great surviability, great slows and damage with my Passive, Dagger and Sheen. Also, my Shields (Ultimate mostly important) are better because of the extra AP.
Like I said, the build order really varies according to match. But the final items I aim for are those. I aways did good with them. I am not saying it the blast build and blablabla, I am just saying it fits my style very well and was effective. You get assists like crazy (so, money) and with teleport you can sidepush fast with Sheen (use dagger on minions while you attack tower). If you see you will get surrounded (because, of course, you WARDED jungle), ulti away if there is no scape route.
Also, many times I jungle Shen. The Sheen proc helps you clear jungle very fast and you can gank with taunt, help laners heals on Cannon Minion with dagger effect and yet, you are free to Ulti when needed.
Yes I love him.

Foxhound300

01-23-2012

Yeah, I get assists and kills all the time as Shen due to both my teleport and a last second dagger as the enemies are escaping. Pisses off some people I lane with to no end, but it's better that I get the kill than the person getting away.

The logic behind not going frozen mallet at the core of the build is that your Q has a fast enough cooldown that you can keep hitting your opponent with them and use the slow from Crystal Scepter to keep them pinned rather than repeatedly attacking them. Plus the AP is fantastic on Shen, especially for his ult.

I don't know about ionic spark, that might be a little too offensive considering that it doesn't really give a substantial bonus to his passive.