Guides are for Noobs.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pigsticker

10-13-2009

Guides are for noobs.

No seriously.. they are. And theres absoluetely nothing wrong with that.

I'm using the term noob pretty broadly here to encompass not only players who are new to the game, but also ones that are new to the character or the playstyle that the guide is explaining how to use. The guides that are posted on this site and others are important tools that give players a foundation to build off, but they are only an introduction, and its important to remember that the advice they give exists in a vacuum, and should not be followed blindly.

The reason I wanted to create this thread is because of an episode I had in a game last night. I had the unique experience of going up against a full caster team consisting of Ryze, Veig, Kass, Fiddle and Morgana. On my team we had two lvl 30 summoners playing Blitz and Alistar. Neither of them were bad players, especially Blitz who had his micro down solid. But both of them were using 3-4 +armor pieces and neither were using Banshees. I didn't even notice it myself until late in the game, because we were actually winning the early/mid game, but we couldn't capitalize on the early lvl/tower advantage and they came back and beat us in the end when their damage was pretty much ridiculous since it wasn't getting mitigated.

We were commenting on how hard they were hitting when I noticed their item choices and I asked them about it. They both responded similarly saying that this is what they always used and its what was written in the forums. Rather then debate the issue I just left it at that, because I didn't want them to think I was blaming them for the loss.

The moral of the story here though is that guides are just a starting point. I think this is especially true for ones that tell you which items you should buy and in what order. The advice they give might be helpful some of the time, but you shouldn't just follow someones build order in all cases regardless of the scenario. Boots, Gold per 10 items and Elixirs especially should be based on who you are playing and how the game is progressing.. the Sorc Boots which every caster seems to buy are very frequently not nearly as beneficial as Mercury Treads , Boots 3, or even Ninja Tabi.

Just remember, guides are for noobs. Use them while your new and then learn to adapt your own playstyle to each game and opponent.

Rudeboymike

10-13-2009

i prefer every LoL player to be a complete dip****. Reduces the chances of them winning. I am against guides, it teaches people how to play!

But i see what you are saying... the whole post coulda been summed up by telling people to Adapt to the Situation. But shoot, if Dan Dinh tells me to stack 5 BF Swords on Morgana... im sure as hell gonna do it! lol

Diøs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-13-2009

Guides are good starting point for noobs, but it only applies for 1 person in 1 situation, but it's better to play with someone who read a guide than someone that do nothing good lol

Asymptote

Associate Engineer

10-13-2009

I read 2-3 guides on my favorite champs when I suddenly found myself unable to kill anything. I think it had somethign to do with the massive beta key giveaway combined with my ELO going up shortly before. But suddenly I couldn't kill anyone so I got really enraged. The guide helped me get my edge back but I really ended up mixing and matching different play styles that worked with me instead of blindly following one guide.

Noubito

10-13-2009

Yeah, I'm a pretty terribad player and I follow guides religiously (I alt-tab in-game while everyone's loading up and if I'm dead to review items) and depending on the enemy team I'll skip an item or replace one. More often than not though, guide's already give you options between casters and physical attackers (like someone will say "at this point I get either Warmogs or Banshee depending on what's been hurting me the most).

Monnok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigsticker View Post
Guides are for noobs.

No seriously.. they are. And theres absoluetely nothing wrong with that.
/agreed

Guides are there to help people who want to learn to get better, and short of watching how someone dominates in game against you, guides in the forums work as well. I cringe every time I see a teammate follow the recommended item list(without asking advice from others), and laugh if its an opponent. Games arent fun for me if it's overly one-sided, so I prefer people at least having an IDEA of how to play.
Disclaimer: dominating can be fun too, but both sides can enjoy a close game and it feels like less of a waste of time

I'm guilty of writing down item guides for champions from them, or making my own so I dont have to sort through all my options. I frequently list alternates too. These get used less and less as I become more familiar with the hero. I did it in DoTA, I do it here. It's a crutch, to be sure. Also, sometimes other people have alternate builds that are fun to try out, or show you something that synergizes well that you never thought of before.

Adaptation is the sign of a skilled player.

Pen15Mightier

10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubito View Post
Yeah, I'm a pretty terribad player and I follow guides religiously (I alt-tab in-game while everyone's loading up and if I'm dead to review items) and depending on the enemy team I'll skip an item or replace one. More often than not though, guide's already give you options between casters and physical attackers (like someone will say "at this point I get either Warmogs or Banshee depending on what's been hurting me the most).
This is true. However, these optional choices are almost always at the end of the build.

Typically casters are like:
Tome
Upgrade to Sorc Shoes
Tear of the Goddess
Catalyst
Upgrade to Rod of the Ages
Blasting Wand
Blasting Wand
Zyonia's Ring
At this point get Banshee's / Warmog's depending on what's bothering you.

By the time you get any of the above items you are already behind in armor/magic resist, and most likely have taken too much damage and generally been uninfluential most of the game. The build order really should be something like this:

Casters:
- Tome
- Upgrade to Sorc Shoes
- Tear of the Goddess
- Chain Mail / Negatron Cloak - depending on what's bothering you.
- Catalyst / Rod of the Ages
- Upgrade to Banshee's / Warmog's / Force of Nature / Spirit Visage - depending on what's bothering you and how much of it is on the other team.
- Zyonia's Ring - Game should be over long before that....

The thing is they are including like 6 million gold worth of items in their list, and only after you farm all game to get them, do they actually get any single item to neuter the other team. I highly suggest getting a Magic Resist / Armor item prior to finishing off even one of your Tier 3 items. Even if it's just a piece of it, like in this build.

This will increase your survivability by a lot and allow you to stay in lanes and farm and gank (without dying in a heartbeat to dmg fest) and generally make more money than most other builds.

Most games end before I even finish upgrading it, but the mere fact that I started the Armor / Magic Resist item, deflects enough of the damage to get to the higher tier items more often by (A) not dying as much, (B) as a result of (A) you can farm more, (C) allows you to get more kills on enemy heros, Dragon (if you chose armor), Creeps (if you chose armor), push more towers.

By doing this you'll see a VAST improvement in your ELO and win %'age.

weizur

10-13-2009

They're mostly written by noobs as well.

ZGBudai

10-13-2009

Quote:
Adaptation is the sign of a skilled player.
Nuff' said.

Stealth Lord

10-13-2009

I like guides but i see what you mean. What I do is do the recomended build, then read 2 or 3 guides and take whats good out of them. Then I do that. After mabye 3-4 games I know what I should get, what i might get ect.