Which tank should I buy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I0N

01-23-2012

go with taric

Pizza on a Bun

01-23-2012

I own a lot of the tanks, I'd say to find the one that you want, you have to try them out. Either buy the cheap ones like Alistar (you can get him free by subscribing to League of Legends channel on YouTube) and Amumu, or you could splurge IP or RP and get MaoKai or Galio. Both are very powerful, but only if you know how to use them. If you want to play someone like volibear. You might be a dps person, so I wouldnt reccomend him

MaxTurtle

01-23-2012

Get Shen.

Metodex

01-23-2012

Consider Jarvan IV.

People say hes UP and nerfed,but after getting Randuins,philo stone and mercury's you are quite tanky and can get some kills as well. He takes some skill to use his ulti,since it can mess up or win fights.

His Q + E combo is very good for initiating,escaping and aiding teammates on fights, it does great damage to carries if you land the whole thing and get that first AA so his passive do a lot of dmg as well. He's very fun,just get used to him.

EDIT: By the way, with jarvan you can go fulltank or get some offense like atma's + warmogs and infinity edge. Also, mercury's + FoN give you a lot of M.Resist, Hp5 and speed to chase. Randuin's and atma's give you more than enough Armor, top it with warmogs for massive hp pool and some dmg. His shield is not very good but it slows people and has saved me quite a few times. You don't have defensive skills like other tanks,but you're more into getting assists,saving teammates and getting a few kills than into healing,shielding and buffing,although your E gives an atk.speed and armor buff aura for a while.

TL;DR: Buy him and get used to him.

Strikerfox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2012

A good tank requires a good lanemate. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. I suggest a demi-tank. The key to playing a good tank is not dying the first 10 minutes. At 10 minutes any intended tank champ should have enough defense/health regen. Don't jump in at lvl4 or you'll feed the other team. In no order my choices of tanks would be Maokai, Shen, Rumble, Cho (terrifying at full size with angel and banshee), WW, and Malphite. Any of these will do, it's not all about the items, it's about leveling to a point where natural armor, mr, and health make a difference.

HoldenC

01-23-2012

Ugh. I want to try them all but don't have the IP and refuse to spend money. Somebody say something that will convince me for one specific tank. Even if it is just like "Maokai looks awesome" I just need something to push me to one specific champion.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2012

Cho'gath is in the free rotation that starts tomorrow. I'd try him out because
1) does well both top lane and jungle
2) good cc and damage
3) can also be built as a mage if you need a change of pace
4) eating people is hilarious and awesome

KrystalSundancer

01-23-2012

Rammus is a good tank/jungler. Did you try him while he was free?

Alistar is a good initiating tank but the Nerfs have left him a little less durable than others, also has less power behind his attacks now.

Malphite probably one of the better one's too, he stacks on armor like candy.

I'd hold off on Shen till after his buffs, which might be coming in the near future if all goes well.

Naramie

01-24-2012

Alistar is fun, early game barring an oblivious partner you have a high chance of getting first blood, his W + Q combo takes off a decent amount of life and can setup your partner for an easy kill. He's pretty useful for every team, stun and cc. even during late game. He's not as durable as other tanks but he has more utility than others. He's kind of reliant on a partner early on because aside from his skills he doesn't hit very hard.

Cho'gath isn't a true tank but when he gets fully built up and his buffs are maxed out he's pretty much a tank. He can solo lanes as well, so not a bad choice there. His ultimate does true damage so it's excellent for getting that final blow or killing some one who underestimates your damage abilities.

Tribblegoggles

01-24-2012

As said above, Support Alistar is fun, and an excellent player for any team. You will get fed loads off of assists, and all your abilities are great in teamfights, especially your Q.

Singed is also a great tank. At endgame with a full build I can get up to 5k HP, more than enough to steamroll anybody.