Which tank should I buy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HoldenC

01-22-2012

Hi, so I started playing like two or three weeks ago and I have started to get really good with Amumu (this is, of course, by my oh-so-low standard.) However, I don't want to be Amumu forever so I was wondering which tanks people recommended to put in my arsenal as another character I can always play. I have been primarily looking at Galio, Sejuani, and Volibear. I wanted for some people to give me some pros and cons about each and maybe a suggested build. I would be playing the character as a true tank and jungling capabilities are a must.

P.S.
Some characters I tried and didn't like: Rammus, Alistar (I tried Alistar when I was VERY noob ish), and Veigar (I know he isn't a tank.)

I also tried Heimerdinger and liked him (also not a tank.)

HoldenC

01-22-2012

P.P.S.
I'm open to characters who are not Volibear, Sejuani, and Galio.

HyperCoffee

01-22-2012

If you're looking for tanks who can also jungle well I'd suggest Malpite and Skarner. Malphite has a great initiate and Skar has a nice shield, slow, and pull.

Also, if you want to split from the norm, Leona has amazing cc and a pretty good skill shot initiate. Though some people believe her to be UP at the moment.

DebosBike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2012

Garen is actually a pretty good tank due to the fact that you will rarely need to return to base thanks to his passive. His abilities get you kills early game and then late game he is extremely durable with warmogs and that .85% health per second item

Albido

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2012

Sejuani has CC out the ass, and is incredibly dependent on having a team that can take advantage of that (read: good, attentive players, the antithesis of soloque). Having said that, her abilities are absurdly strong, and if played well can absolutely shut down the other team and enable her team wreck in teamfights. Knowing how to jungle is very important on her tho, or else you'll get all of your jungle stolen due to her poor clearspeed.

Galio has one of the strongest teamfight ults in the game, can find a roll in any lane, weather it be bruiser top, anti-AP mid, or support bot. His passive makes him very good against AP heavy teams, as a Randuin's (which builds from HoG anyway, something you should get) will give you all the armor you need, and it synergises with your ult, allowing you to build mostly MR. And finally, his QWE spells are all awesome and provide tremendous utility.

Volibear is bad, don't get him. Singed simply outpreforms him in almost every way, baring voli's W which is admittedly still very strong.

Juzt

01-22-2012

Taric is the best tank.

He has support heal, defensive and offensive buff and an armor de-buff.

hes an ideal tank when used right.

Most players QQ about his passive and don't understand how decent it is when used correctly.

Axwellington

01-22-2012

galio is a great counter to AP mid.. high mag resist. His q ability is awesome to lane with if you can learn to hit it and his ult is a mass taunt.. I enjoy playing with him. I havent played with bear.. but I have noticed that pig***** has **** for damage and is meant to jungle.. kinda lame.. she is only viable if you have good coordination and team play that knows how to play with her.. if not she is kinda useless.

Intsikandy

01-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebosBike View Post
Garen is actually a pretty good tank due to the fact that you will rarely need to return to base thanks to his passive. His abilities get you kills early game and then late game he is extremely durable with warmogs and that .85% health per second item
I wouldn't play Garen as a tank, as he literally does no damage, and is reduced to a KSing silence bot, he literally is not a nuisance to the enemy team and has no reason to be focused. Garen is much more of an AD bruiser, who can take a lot of punishment, and have rediculous early and mid-game presence. I would never play him as a tank since his AD ratios are too good to pass up as solely a bruiser or tanky-dps.(1.4 PER ATTACK DAMAGE ON TWO SKILLS) If you would pass on dishing out that much damage, to be a spinning health bar, then I guess that's your choice.

As for tanks, the most versatile are Cho Gath, Skarner, Rammus, Amumu, Singed, Alistar,Malphite and maybe even Volibear, they can dish out insane amounts of damage and can adjust depending if your team needs damage, or they need a pure nuisance/initiator. They have amazing capabilities, slows, silences, pulls, displacers, stuns, taunts, and big beefy AoE moves with ratios as high as 1.0 per AP or AD, and huge team steroids and general utility.

Shen is also awaiting a big rework, so be on the lookout for him, he has a great AoE taunt, good damage based on his own health, but lacks the bruiser versatilty, but can be built as one. And let's not forget his amazing ultimate, which can bring second lives to carries and your other teammates, and it's a good escape ability.

StardustxDragon

01-23-2012

shyvanna kinda op

wasaz

01-23-2012

In my opinion if you want a good tank that can easily jungle the good choice would be Maokai (which was picked very often at Intel Extreme Masters in Kiev - 8 out of 22 matches)

1. He has a great Passive gives him great sustainability during his rout and especially in teamfights.
2. Arcane Smash - Q - The shortest cooldown knockup/back spell in the game, this spell gets extremely annoying for your opponents as they are constantly slowed or knocked up/back due to it's low cooldown.
3. Twisted Advance - W - root to gank easily. It's not a skilshot like amumu's bandage toss so you just cant miss it.
4. Sapling Toss - E - High Damage Spell with sadly quite a long CD but AoE dmg.
5. Vengeful Maelstorm - Ultimate - extremely useful against casters and their high damage ultimates or aoes. Placing this before a Morg or Fiddle ult can be very deadly to them as it greatly reduces the damage of their attacks and near instantly gets charged up to full.