Been playing Ryze lately

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkRak3r

01-23-2012

In terms of counters, the only champ I can really say he flat out counters is maybe Veigar, simply because he relies on enemy AP for that big damage, and Ryze scales off of mana.

BendyBread

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2012

To an extent he counters Cass. But he needs to be careful. If he stands still for too long she'll just keep Q+Eing him and her poison will take heavy effect.

Though I guess that depends on the burst both of them have at the time and how skilled each is.

Grimy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

01-23-2012

mpen MARKS
Health or Armour SEALS
mr or mana GLYPHS
mpen, movement speed(highly recommended), or mana QUINTS

9 21 0 is what I use. Making sure to get Speed and CDR
0 21 9 is what some peeps use.
9 0 21 is the usual... but squishier and rather wasted stats except the early cdr

R>Q>W>E(get E @ level 3 or 4)

sapphire crystal, pots
Tear, boots

Build ALL of these:
Order: Build in the order you need.
You definitely would want Frozen heart asap if you are verse AD and the jungler is AD
You would want Banshees if you are verse AP, but getting glacial shroud first is usually a good idea if the jungler is AD

Glacial Shroud
Sorcerer shoes Often defence boots are good as well.
Catalyst
Banshees Veil
Frozen Heart
Will of the Ancients
Void Staff
Archangels

AIGHT who does he counter?

He can easily beat:
Sion, veigar, teemo, karthus and most melee champions
and does fine vs just about anyone, tbh if played correctly.

If you want to beat him, play a champion with great early sustain or great early harass or both.
Delay his tear as much as possible and you'll win.
Champions that can do this most effectively would be gangplank, morgana, swain, vladimir ...kennen
Other way is to play long range mages and land your skill shots. Brand, malz, lux, xerath, etc..
Kassadin and Leblanc are also good vs Ryze.
Or just simply push to his tower or have the jungler gank. Ryze sucks @ pushing the wave unless he has ult.

tempname076325

01-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambazo View Post
Manacrystal+2pots
boots/tear
catalyst/sorc shoes
glacial shroud
banshee's veil
frozen heart
upgrade tear to AA
Void Staff
If the game isn't over at this point, you can build a Will of the Ancients to up your spellvamp, or RoA for the biggest bump in your damage you can get at this point, or Lich Bane for some MR/Movespeed/Modest tower pushing ability.

This is pretty much the only way to build ryze.
QFT. He's entirely right. If you aren't doing it this way (and the only room for variation here is that you can get the BV before the FHeart, if you're really getting pooped on by an AP laner), you're doing it wrong.

Warrrrax

01-23-2012

Start with Sapphire and 2 pots vs most foes.
SOMETIMES you might want boots and 3 pots, but only vs foes with a lot of skillshots. Vs longer range foes, you really don't need the mana as much because it is impossible to get within their range. In this case, boots are actually better since you focus on farming and avoiding their shots. With all the Ahris, Karthus, Brands nowdays this IS a valid option.

Rush the Tear as this is your main offense.

From here you can go 2 ways: Glacial Shroud or Catalyst.
IF the laning phase is going to continue for a while and you are still sniping away at baddies, you want Catalyst. It toughens you up, and gives you nice sustain.
IF lanes are starting to break up and you are doing small team scirmishes, take the shroud... it should be boosting your CDR to 35+% which allows you to do Q,W,Q,E,Q,R,Q,W,Q,E,Q comboes for massive damage, instead of a quick Q,W,E,Q snipe-combo.

Now, get a negatron and upgrade to Banshees veil, no matter which way you previously went. (i.e. get catalyst/banshee if you got shroud).

This is pretty much your CORE. You will then decide about other items as necessary.

Upgrade to frozen heart - obviously good vs physical champs, especially autoattackers. If you need the extra CDR, definitely take this.

Archangel - Mostly gives AP, which even though isn't ideal for Ryze, its still about 60% usable on him vs mana. So, with the huge mana pool you already have, AA gives enough AP to justify its cost.

Abyssal - The magic penetration along with sorc shoes is really high. AP is kind of useful, MR is very useful if their AP guys are doing better than average.

Void Staff - If several foes are tanky DPS and building MR (over 100), take this. Abyssal is way better though as for the same cost it has huge MR built in. Flat MR is also better than percentage based for MR values of 107 or less I think (assuming you have 30 flat MR from sorc and runes).

Will of Ancients - lifesteal is the big draw here and the aura is very nice for allies. Provides virtual life when doing your comboes and keeps you topped off. Many love this item, though it is really expensive for what you get... you basically only get 60% of the value of AP, so the lifesteal is the important part.

LuckFarmer

01-23-2012

Call me crazy, but judging from his lack of push power and lame AP ratios, I always turn my tear into a manamune. Gives me close on 300 ad at end game which i feel helps much more than AA CONSIDERING I don't generally build roa or deathcap

Deathfairy

01-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambazo View Post
Please do not listen to this person.

Manacrystal+2pots
boots/tear
catalyst/sorc shoes
glacial shroud
banshee's veil
frozen heart
upgrade tear to AA
Void Staff
If the game isn't over at this point, you can build a Will of the Ancients to up your spellvamp, or RoA for the biggest bump in your damage you can get at this point, or Lich Bane for some MR/Movespeed/Modest tower pushing ability.

This is pretty much the only way to build ryze.
Do not listen to this person either while you are it.
AA upgrade is the LAST thing you get. Once you have tear/BF/FH/boots. You build WotA, last item is a toss up between GA and void. and THEN you upgrade to AA.

Deathfairy

01-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckFarmer View Post
Call me crazy, but judging from his lack of push power and lame AP ratios, I always turn my tear into a manamune. Gives me close on 300 ad at end game which i feel helps much more than AA CONSIDERING I don't generally build roa or deathcap

1) Ap give you damage vs towers as well.
2) Despite being very low ratio's like .2 on Q he casts ALOT of spells. So yes q might have .2 ratio, but you will fire it almost 3 times more then lets say annie Q making it comparable to .6 ratio on annie.
His E has like .33 ration but it can hit up to 3 times + aoe
And i forgot his scaling on W. But it not that terribad, like .5?

Bottom line Ap helps Ryze more then people think but building mana/survive items just benefits him more over all.

Warrrrax

01-23-2012

Math analysis of Ryze's Q,W,Q,E,Q,R,Q,W,Q,E,Q combo:

6 Qs with 0.08 mana scale and 0.2 AP scale = .48 mana, 1.2 AP
2 Ws with 0.05 mana scale and 0.6 AP == .10 mana, 1.2 AP
2 Es (assume 2 hits) with 0 mana scale, 0.7 AP scale = 1.4 AP

.58 mana scale, 3.8 AP scale.

2000 gold worth of mana is 1000 mana, would add 580 damage.
2000 gold worth of AP is 100 AP, adding 380 damage.

So basically for RYZE ONLY, AP is about 65% as valuable as mana is offensively.

This means that AP is NOT WORTHLESS, but that you should prioritize mana when possible and cost-effective. Nor should you turn down really efficient sources of AP such as an Archangels when you have a 3k+ pool (which would add 135 AP on top of the +100 mana, mana regen, etc. i.e. the 1800g gives you a good 2500+g of benefits)

Wolfalisk

01-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynyc1418 View Post
What is the best build for him and who does he counter?
Ryze is a very pleasing champion to play because he can go toe to toe with a lot of those elusive (or cowardly, depending on opinion) champions that consistently harass but must avoid counter-harass, namely Ezreal and Ahri, among others.

In both cases, if Ezreal or Ahri try to close distance for their shorter ranged abilities, they will lose over half their health, and Ryze can flash, combo, ignite when his cooldowns are back for an easy kill.

Ryze's W, Rune Prison, is his kill zone. It's a fairly short-ranged spell, but if anyone squishy dares get that close to Ryze with anything less than full health, it's unlikely that they'll live to tell the tale.