Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

carry morgana

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vaelendon

01-22-2012

how should i build a carry morgana

Maruzo sama

01-22-2012

I've been playing Morgana in mid for quite a while. Spanning 2 accounts to level 30 and beyond using her about 35 - 40% of the time with around 450 wins on both accounts. This includes before she got extremely "popular" where she was never banned and people generally thought she was not that great of a champion (thats what most of the people I talked to and randoms in my games thought, anyway).

I always see people do really badly with her, and every time they start with Doran's Ring, so I've pretty much decided that is a bad way to play (haven't tried it). But the way I play her she doesn't need the mana regen, AP or HP from Doran's in the package it provides these stats in, so I'll explain my way (I have at least an 85% win ratio with her, just as a guesstimation, and even when I do lose, I'm positive or have high farm and damage)

First is runes and masteries: You want MRegen on yellows, AP blues and quints (24 AP total) and MPen reds (all of these are pretty simple so I won't explain)

For masteries, you want 20/10/0 taking obvious AP masteries in offense, making sure to include the 5% extra total AP (this is the most important thing in your pregame build) and making sure to get 6 armor and MR from the defense tree, including HP/level and the +30 flat HP. This makes you tanky while dealing much damage during the game.

In game build and playstyle: MRegen yellows are great, and you have plenty of HP thanks to your defense masteries, so you won't need the Doran's Ring at all, especially because you'll already have 30 AP upon spawning. Pick up a Sapphire Crystal for the extra mana as you'll be harassing with combos and farming with W. Also grab an HP pot and Mana pot for sustain and get into lane. Don't forget to level your Q or your W (it doesnt matter which) depending on the enemy mid. Against someone like LeB I would level E at level one, so there are special cases, just use your brain.

Once you're in lane with minions (after leashing for jungler, lvl 1 fight, or what have you) you just want to farm with autoattacks. If you want to harass/zone a little with Q/W feel free if you can land them on the enemy, but don't overdo it at level one, since you don't have much damage and you want to conserve mana.

From level 2 to level 5, skill priority against basic mid champs is W>Q>E as you want a strong W to start AoE farming when the option is available. Try to land QW combos but don't waste mana on this. If the enemy is playingn aggressive, bait them into wasting damage with your E, then combo them til they die or B. If they play safe, focus less on harassing and more on AoE farming. By prioritizing W, you can kill caster minions by hitting them with W and hitting them one auto-attack each by level 2/3 in your W. Be careful with this, as you are unsafe while pushing lane. Always be aware of the enemy jungler's whereabouts, and save your spellshield for their ganks.

Against LeB or Kass I would suggest W>E>Q, focusing on negating harass and AoE farming and staying alive (do not harass in these lanes).

As far as your build is concerned, go back to base when you have a good chance (use your head, don't be stupid) and get a catalyst and lvl 1 boots as soon as you can. This will help your lane sustain on both mana and HP, as well as surviving ganks and escaping them. You can pick up more HP/Mana potions to supplement your catalyst if you're being aggressive in lane, using a lot of mana for harass or mitigation with your E. You should stay powerful into this stage in the game due to your AP/level and % total AP masteries, while getting extra tanky with Catalyst + Defense masteries.

At level 6, you have a few options: If the enemy is still playing safe, continue leveling your W and AoE farming as quickly as possible (sometimes I even use my Q to last hit melee and siege minions to push the lane quickly). After pushing to their tower quickly (be aware of jungle ganks) watch your map and run down to gank bot or top or even help your jungler invade their jungle. You want to be as aggressive as possible at this stage in the game because you'll hit 6 before side lanes and junglers. Helping your team is a lot better than farming right now, even if you don't get any actual kills; furthermore, you should already have an exceptional creep score by last hitting and using W to farm.

If the enemy mid is still trying to fight or harass at lvl 6, land as many combos as possible when they step out. I can't tell you exactly when to jump in with your ult/summoner spells, but learn your damage and if you have enough damage with your combo to make them B, you need to flash/ult/towerdive for the kill. Your passive spellvamp + catalyst will make towerdiving easy. Even if you combo them under tower, if they're low, walk up and ult. You can always flash into jungle after the kill and safely return to lane or base with extra gold. Again, it's hard to tell you exactly how to play, but Morgana is capable of easy level 6 tower dives, and you should be aware that a skilled player will go for them if permitted.

Now I won't go so much into mid/late game tactics, as these are pretty much the same with many AP carries, but I will talk about your build. If you're doing well (like you've got a positive k/d or are making a lot of gold through farming) you need to rush Rabadon's Deathcap and finish your Sorceror's Shoes whenever you can. You're tanky enough and have plenty of sustain, so this high damage item will make your combos and ults insane, especially if purchased early with kill-money or exceptional cs. Now, with your masteries/runes set up like I said, Rabadon's should put you at around 230 - 250 AP. This is pretty crazy with only one item, and this item alone will keep your damage high/decent throughout mid and late game. I've seen people rush Zhonya's Hourglass, and I know this has good synergy with Soul Shackles, but I'm just telling you my usual build for an average game. At 250 AP, you nuke anyone easy, so you need to focus on staying alive so you can output more and more damage. Against a balanced team, I'll usually go Chain Vest and Negatron Cloak for quick mitigation, then decide which items to build them into after looking more closely at the enemy team and the items they are building (many times I just get Glacial Shroud and turn my catalyst into Banshee's)

Against a heavy AD team, I'd suggest Guardian Angel or Zhonya's, depending on the team. Against a heavy AP team, I'd suggest finishing your Catalyst into Banshee's and starting on Abyssal Scepter or Force of Nature depending on specific needs.

Many people think they need to build straight AP on Morgana, but this isn't the case, at all. With this setup, you reach around 250 AP after your first item, and with Morgana's skill kit, this is easily enough damage to coast into late game with a decent team. I'll now list potential finished builds to give you an idea of just how much mitigation and AP a fairly skilled and experienced Morgana player will usually buy.

Rabadon's
Guardian Angel
Void Staff
Sorceror's Shoes
Zhonya's Hourglass
Rylai's/Aegis/Sunfire Cape

Rabadon's
Banshee's Veil
Sorceror's Shoes
Abyssal Scepter
Void Staff
Guardian Angel/Zhonya's

Rabadon's
Void Staff
Banshee's Veil
Sunfire Cape/Guardian Angel
Sorceror's Shoes
Force of Nature

Rabadon's
Abyssal Scepter
Zhonya's
Void Staff
Sorceror's Shoes
Aegis/Guardian Angel

These are all dependent on the enemy team, their champions and what they're building, but I thought I'd give you an idea of what my build usually looks like if finished.

Have fun playing Morg, and good luck having a ranked game where she's not banned. I hope anything I said helped a little.

And if you start with Doran's Ring you're bad HUE HUE HUE B)

Edit: Wow, I totally forgot to tell you what to do if you're doing badly or having a bad game (getting your lane camped, etc). I guess that just shows how often it happens with Morg.

Anyway, if you're having a bad game, turn that catalyst into a Rod of Ages before you go Rabadon's. This will give you a lot of sustain and it'll make it possible to turn the game around by getting ridiculously tanky and building good damage along with it. If you end up building RoA, I'd suggest also building Force of Nature as your MR item (if you need MR against their team) as the synergy with high HP is good, and I'd even suggest Sunfire Cape if you need armor. This kind of tanky HP damage build (assuming you picked up your rabadon's at a decent time) can easily turn the game in your favor, even with feeders on your team. With this setup, you can walk into their team without a care in the world, ulting and dodging CC with your E. Focus on high priority targets and try to coach your team to victory. With Morgana, it's not over just because 4 of your teammates are playing badly. She's OP, haven't you heard?

ChakatSilvermane

01-22-2012

I do just fine with morgana starting a dorans ring. I like the stats it provides and I have enough mana regen for near infinate harass/farm. I have played probably about 400 games as morgana, but I don't know my win ratio. My thoughts on dorans are that morgana farms so well the early game stats it gives are worth it, even though it doesn't build into anything.

Maruzo sama

01-22-2012

I believe you, I was just mostly joking. But it is true that I think Morg is stronger than nearly every mid in the game, if not actually every mid, and when I see someone lose with her, I'm so surprised I just look at their items and say "That must be why".

By all means, start Doran's. I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking. But even with different starting items, have a look at the complete set-up. I'm not sure if everyone is building this way, so someone with 400 Morgana games might like it.

Fluffy1

01-22-2012

how to build morg as a carry? you dont. her CD's are way too high and her burst has been way too nerfed over the last 2 years to put her in the "carry" bracket, combined with high mana cost and low defenses which is salt in the wound at the fact most of your gold is being spent to patch up weakness's rather than enhancing a strength and you will find shes just sub par at everything thats not **** blocking CC.

morgana hasnt been an AP carry since early 2010 when riot "buffed" her.

currently best way to go is build tanky CDR with only enough AP to keep your soil killing minions.

kaleb bartlett

01-22-2012

Quote:
Fluffy1:
how to build morg as a carry? you dont. her CD's are way too high and her burst has been way too nerfed over the last 2 years to put her in the "carry" bracket, combined with high mana cost and low defenses which is salt in the wound at the fact most of your gold is being spent to patch up weakness's rather than enhancing a strength and you will find shes just sub par at everything thats not **** blocking CC.

morgana hasnt been an AP carry since early 2010 when riot "buffed" her.

currently best way to go is build tanky CDR with only enough AP to keep your soil killing minions.

i read this and just had to shake my head.

Fluffy1

01-23-2012

Quote:
kaleb bartlett:
i read this and just had to shake my head.

why? morgana is hard countered by items like QSS, banshee and deathfire grasp and the "buff" they gave her in 2010 cut her damage by over a third in return for not even 20% off her CD's which didnt help her cause her mana cost were still just as high, she was still ok though cause her ult was short CD giving her some reliable way to fight, but then riot went and doubled the CD on that after the AOE meta cries.....

shes way too unreliable, miss the snare at the start of the fight and thats pretty much your contribution to the fight due to its long CD.

LancerXXX

01-23-2012

Quote:
Fluffy1:
why? morgana is hard countered by items like QSS, banshee and deathfire grasp and the "buff" they gave her in 2010 cut her damage by over a third in return for not even 20% off her CD's which didnt help her cause her mana cost were still just as high, she was still ok though cause her ult was short CD giving her some reliable way to fight, but then riot went and doubled the CD on that after the AOE meta cries.....

shes way too unreliable, miss the snare at the start of the fight and thats pretty much your contribution to the fight due to its long CD.

Walk/Flash into fight. Press Q. Press W. Press E. Press R. Press 1. Win game. Sustain forever. Please learn to play Morgana...

Fluffy1

01-23-2012

Quote:
LancerXXX:
Walk/Flash into fight. Press Q. Press W. Press E. Press R. Press 1. Win game. Sustain forever. Please learn to play Morgana...

then the opponent presses their QSS and completely ignores EVERYTHING you just did, dont know about you but i see QSS rather frequently when i play morgana, not sure about the competency of the people you see, this item destroys her ult before the second hit even gets there which frankly is about all shes good for. please learn how easy it is to counter her cause its whats holding her back from being a carry.

Warrrrax

01-23-2012

Maruzo sama,

Really nice detailed info, but I dont get a few things:

a) Why not dorans ring? Just because you start with good AP already doesnt make Dorans bad. A sapphire gives 200 mana, whereas a Doran gives you 60 mana per minute, plus the AP and health.
The only advantage of Sapphire is if you need the 2 health pots. With her extreme range and built in vamp, I would think she wouldn't have as much need for them.
It does get your Catalyst earlier though.

b) Why 20/10? Wouldnt you rather have the 6% extra dmg vs low health stuff over a 10th point in defense? You can skimp on 2 points of armor to go 21-9 which seems like a much better tradeoff. It helps last hitting too and aoe farming.