When a game is starting there is no way to find out what Champion a player has

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FalseMyrmidon

07-25-2009

Poorly worded title but I didn't want it to be too long. Currently you can see your allies' chosen Champion and their two Summoner spells while the match is counting down. However, it only shows the icons, there's no tooltip so you really need to know what they are from the picture.

Obvious remedy would be to have a tooltip at least saying the name of the Champion/Spell. To take it a little further if you clicked on the icon it could bring up the description page listing skills, tag words, playing tips, etc.

Berler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-28-2009

I disagree. I think adding those tooltips and buttons would clutter up the interface and detract from teaching newbies about the game. If you have questions you should just type in chat to your allies. You can always look at the info later when your outside of a game, but really do you think that in the 1 minute you have to pick a champion you'd be spending it reading the help guide for champions your allies picked and not communicating with your allies (via chat)?

A text indication of what they picked would be okay imo, but anything more complicated seems to hurt rather than help.

FalseMyrmidon

08-01-2009

You think it would clutter the UI to have a tooltip popup on mouseover stating the name of what the icon represents? Really?

Yipperpants

08-02-2009

I'm strongly against the over simplicity of this facet in its current form as an excuse to newbie friendliness. In fact, I may go on to say this little issue is my biggest quarrel with League of Legends. I may have only played several games so please correct me if I'm mistaken, but there is absolutely no additional information given except for basically the champion picked, the two summoner spells, and their username. The total subtlety of my allies' champion picks almost made me think of them as an afterthought. The first two or three games, I felt very alone in the lobby. I have no idea who I'm playing with, since I can't search up their profile in the lobby. And if they happen to be awesome kids, I better spend the next two minutes of pregame searching for a pad and pen to note down their names, else the system forces an outrageous effort to add friends. If the matchmaking lobby isn't such a black hole of information, it would be a most grusome monstrosity (atm, it can't be classified as a mess since there is nothing there!).

I'm not, and I doubt others are, hoping to remove the chat box and fill the entire screen with links to superfleous information and tooltips crammed with trivalties. I mean imposing your allies' pressence slightly more. I mean adding direct links to critical info (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/champ...the_dark_child << see the stats and abilities boxes? just those. I'm starting to think the site is better made than the game when it comes to presenting information >_>) I doubt your four other teammates will spend the next minute explaining their champion in detail. I want an OPTION to find that kind of stuff out, so I'm not forced to constantly pester my lanemate about his capability and what I can expect of him to do. I want an OPTION to find out more about my teammates, so I can choose between more of a support role instead of a total carry role. And I want that small tooltip that pops up with the champion's name and roles when I wave my cursor over their icon.

A totally lacking UI is just as bad as the othe extreme. If you're catering an UI design for only newbies scared of information or "pros" that don't need the information, you entirely miss out and alienate the learning majority in the middle.

Coleman

08-02-2009

How would it cluster? The space they leave for chat on that last screen is HUGE, it could be smaller no problem.

Cheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2009

I agree with everyone when I say that you, Berler, are crazy. How would a tooltip clutter the screen? Or clicking the icon? How does that clutter anything? It is the most uncluttered way of presenting information.

Florburz

08-09-2009

While tooltips would be nice, I feel that after you play for several games on LoL, you will instantly be able to regognoze what champions you rallies are playing. I have played 4-7 games and already know what champions my allies are playing based on icon.

I do agree that providing links to the hero description page (in game description page) by clicking the icon would be useful for newbies