Skarner, Lee, or Maoki?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaucyBalls

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-21-2012

since jungle is easily the most influential position for solo que, which of these junglers are best. Im in elo hell. keep that in mind.

Cyberthief

01-21-2012

well, of the three I only have experience with Skarner. He's one of the best, in my opinion. he has a slow, a shield that increases his movement speed AND attack speed, a skill shot that allows him to heal off of those he hurt, and a moving suppression. Not to mention his passive

SaucyBalls

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-21-2012

bump

LancerXXX

01-21-2012

Maokai's W + Q = Skarner's Flash + R.

Maokai is probably the stronger ganker (dat W...), but he can't really stay at high health while clearing.
Skarner clears better, and Lee Sin has more damage/utility I guess...

It really just depends on personal preference.

Manderly

01-22-2012

Maokai is far and away the best ganker of the three - If you land the root and ground pound and they don't die (Flash is an exception) please trace your teammates IP and go donkey kick them irl. His clear times are good, though not extraordinary, but he is always low health.

Skarner is a mid-boggling quick junglier and exceptional duellist. He has probably the second fastest clear times of anyone (After Shyvana) and is a beast in smaller fights. Give him a sheen/HoG/Philo and he can beat just about anyone. He also counter-jungles well. His main issue is that without blue is is mana-hungry.

Lee Sin is very difficult to play. I've never given him the time investment he needs, so I can't comment on his over-all effectiveness; However, when I play Skarner he is the only junglier that I can't reliably beat, so I now he is very strong in the right hands.

Cenerae

01-22-2012

In terms of overall jungling power, Skarner and Lee are the strongest two junglers in the game right now (Udyr is arguably better than Lee, but the difference is marginal). Maokai is good too, however. Thus, it would be more down to your personal preference. Each brings different things to the team after the jungling phase is over, as well.

Diethro

Recruiter

01-22-2012

@Lancer and Manderly - What build do you guys normally see for Mao jungle that he is at low hp? I jungle him (not ranked, but the idea of solo que ranked detests me and my team is never on...) with a regrowth pendant +2 pots and I don't ever have issues with his health unless I forget to pot at red. I normally hit level 4 with 2/3-3/4 health left over. I'm at work now but I can do it in a custom when I get home and put up a screen cap if you would like.

SavageWolves

01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyBalls View Post
since jungle is easily the most influential position for solo que, which of these junglers are best. Im in elo hell. keep that in mind.
Alright, first question: Do you own any of these, or are you looking to buy one?

Second question: Are you sure jungle is the most influential position? (Cause good AD/AP carries can win games easily as long as the other players aren't complete vegetables)

But anyway, I would recommend (assuming you have these champs) to use them situationally. I personally don't run Mao right now; I feel like late game his damage output falls off considerably.

You should use Skarner when your mid isn't incredibly blue reliant (aka Vlad, Kat, Kennen, Annie, etc) I also recommend running 9 points in utility for runic affinity as well as getting a philo glacial shroud, or sheen early; these solve his mana problems. You can still use him when your mage needs blue, but aggressive counter jungling will be needed to get a blue for yourself. (You probably want the first 2-3, depending on how the game goes)

Note: Skarner is banned a lot, along with Rammus and Shaco.

Lee Sin is a great pick up, as he can give pretty much all the blues to the mage, and is incredibly good if the solo is tankier than he is. He is very difficult to use at first but is incredibly powerful when you get the hang of him. I had to play him for about 2 and a half weeks before I was half decent (Much better now )

Add me or something if you want more tips. I can make some video tutorials for Lee and Skarner if you like (making these is fun for me; it's not a big deal)

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/deltaforce2142

My big tutorial right now is on Jungle Malph. He's fun and surprisingly effective.

Cheers
-Savage

LancerXXX

01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diethro View Post
@Lancer and Manderly - What build do you guys normally see for Mao jungle that he is at low hp? I jungle him (not ranked, but the idea of solo que ranked detests me and my team is never on...) with a regrowth pendant +2 pots and I don't ever have issues with his health unless I forget to pot at red. I normally hit level 4 with 2/3-3/4 health left over. I'm at work now but I can do it in a custom when I get home and put up a screen cap if you would like.
How did you get two potions with that Regrowth Pendant? Are you going 0/9/21? And I'm comparing his his health to champions like Malphite and Lee Sin, who are my other junglers, but they can reduce attack speed and have shields.

Larshus

01-23-2012

I play Mao and Lee. My observations:

Mao (0/21/9) Is pretty mediocre fast at clearing jungle. Lee and friends clear faster. If you get a blue leash you never drop below 50% starting regrowth + health pot. I don't B back till I can buy philo stone and boots. After that I never get below 70ish%. E,Q,E,Q,W for leveling. once you hit 4 with above items you can gank. The only problem is that at ganking at lower ELO even when you signal like crazy the team mate just sits there half the time. Root, Stun towards team mate, sap toss and team mate sometimes doesn't do any damage. Frustrating as hell. If I end up with a team like that I typically farm up a heart of gold + SV then start ganking.

Mao has NO dragon control. He can't solo it worth ****, and even if he can it takes ages. His late game is arguable the best of any jungler. His 20% AOE damage mitigation plus aoe knock back completely wrecks any ap team that needs any kind of channel time. Even AD teams suffer due to the down time from the knockback. With the traditional CD build you cast it every 3-4 seconds. Its brutal.

Lee: Lee jungles REALLY fast clears it fast and is never much below 70% ever. Start vamp, buy boots build wriggles. Q right through walls into camps and you move fast.

Jungle control is excellent. At level 7 you down dragon VERY fast. You can place wards and jump over wall to escape dragon counter gank. He's simply the best dragon take down artists in dangerous situtations since you can always escape.

His ganks are skill shot dependent. If ally is close to gankee W to ally, e, e, then pound on him. When he leaves the minion ball Q chase and Q again. Repeat E. Pre 6 his ganks are more effective than mao WHEN YOUR ALLY IS A NOOB since you can pretty much solo gank. If you have good support Mao is better cause you can root mid river and have more time to burn the gankee down.

His late game is situational. You either build him atmogs for sustain, or squishy for gank. If squishy you q in then w right back out. His team fighting is no where as good as Mao's although he can peel better and chase down arguably better.

If you can learn Lee well he carries better then Mao. With a good team, or with just average play skill Mao is stronger. With good skill and a good team Mao wrecks.

Skarner I don't play. I do know then when I play against him with Lee I'm in trouble. All I can do is harass. With Mao meh. I usually just shrug him off unless hes hugely fed.