I think Dominion needs more tweaking in score calculations

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geryth

01-21-2012

Because something doesn't seems right about this.

Attachment 366890

You can't argue "Well duh, you have good KDA but a low score because you probably did all your killing in the jungle off of points!"

Not only do I know by playing the game that I did most my work on points, but look at the data, our team had 52 kills and I was part of 41 of them. The math itself shows that a heavy portion of my assists had to have happened on point where my teammates got the kills.

I think assists need more weight in personal score.

Edit: Fixing the image. . .

Edit: Fix'd

Hékate

01-21-2012

I don't think assists should be weighted more unless riot drastically cuts down their definition of an assist. I DO think instead that tanks should be rewarded better for defense somehow, but I play tank and support enough to know that assists are nonsense. You get an assist for even looking at the enemy champ. Or sneezing. I have not played a dom game as Sona where I haven't finished 1st because she's spammy and everything gets her an assist. Seeing as how your damage output was low (which is fine for a tank), some of those assists are probably fluff and it wouldn't make sense for you to get a big boost in your score by poking an enemy tank once for 10 damage. If you had done 50-60k damage then there would be an issue, but you didn't :P.

Depending on the tank and role in the team, having a low score may be an indicator that you did well (I play with a good Ali who is always last but you CANNOT take a point from him). Just like having a good bot. When I dominate bot, it's boring and I end up in last place but that's the sign of a good bot.

Mr SafetyDancer

01-22-2012

I think its bull if I can get 2 attackers down to incredibly low HP, die, and in the time it takes for the cavalry to show up and get the clean up kills I get denied assists. I've seen this happen to quite a few people. I'm not saying it should be an assist fest, but full credit for a clean up kill stinks pretty rotten.

Phourc

01-22-2012

I do agree that from the numbers you should be probably a bit ahead of Jax, likely he got some of his combat points from martyr bonus, but whatevs - the general pictures I see is: You, teemo and Jax all were pretty useful, Trist carried the game and Ryze was bot.

I'm not saying score couldn't use some tweaks, just... it shouldn't be a priority, it's in about the right place and I'd MUCH rather see some changes to things that need it.

Isurwars

01-22-2012

As a Jarvan/Blitzcrank/Wukong and Sona player i agree, assist give almost no points. Last week i was playing J4 and got 4/8/23 yet still only have like 800 points in the end of the game (last place in both teams), in my last game in my match history i was rock bottom all the freaking game as blitzcrank and only get out of there for my final "god like" kill streak and i was defending the points like a boss, just didn't get the last hits.

Regory

01-23-2012

I think it's more champion kills in general that need emphasizing. Maybe that includes assists, maybe not, but the objective points are a bit overemphasized I think. Defending is more than pitching a tent on the windmill turret but that's the only place you get points for standing. I'm "off the podium" a majority of my games despite being an otherwise competent player because, well, I don't get points for camping the movespeed shrines or waiting in the brush to nab free kills off an unaware passerby. It's ultimately quite difficult to neutralize, let alone capture, a turret against non-derps if you don't kill them first but you get more points fighting a losing battle on an enemy turret than you do drawing them away from it and successfully killing them.

It's all too easy for me to go something like 15/4/x and score fewer points than some random 1/8/x tank who sat at one turret all day, racking up a ton of meaningless points for doing nothing. They can be inflexible and not help defend other points being attacked or get Martyr points for holding up a four-man zerg for a whole two seconds while everyone else was buying/dead or taking a bot-point quest, making their "heroic sacrifice" pointless feeding more than a tactical hold-up for reinforcements. That's not to mention the point *****s who will waste time capturing a point that is already being captured in complete safely. No, I don't need "help" finishing this capture when I just killed the last remaining enemy on this half of the map. Pragmatically, they're better off heading to another point to neutralize while the enemy is dead or getting back in position to defend elsewhere but the scoring system says otherwise. Playing to maximize personal score is not equivalent to playing to win the game.

As they are, personal scores are just terribly inaccurate indicators of one's contributions to the team. I don't worry about it much at all anymore beyond "oh what will the bads think of me?" and I'm not sure how accurate the system could ever be anyway. Dominion is a bit too dynamic for a rigid point system to perhaps ever hit the mark, it's just something you kinda have to "watch 'em play" to accurately gauge how well someone really performed. KDA ratios don't always tell the whole story either but context is a lot more important in evaluating Dominion performances than SR ones.

Narog

01-23-2012

score is easy to abuse better make something different similar to SR