[Guide] Ryze against!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quep

10-13-2009

as the title play on words displays, this is Indeed a Ryze Guide, the way i play him.

This build focuses on the Carry, Gank, Hero killing power of a well built/played Ryze.

First an Overview:

Abilities

Overload (Active): Ryze unleashes a terrifying energy blast of lightning at a single enemy unit. (this skill will be used later on, for getting that last bit of burst damage Mid to Late game, I personally dont use it Early on)

Arcane Mastery (Toggle): Permanently increases mana pool, and causes attacks to deal magic damage. (This is the first skill you will get, it makes eating creep much easier and is key for a good harass)

Rune Prison (Active): Binds the target with sealing runes, prohibiting movement and attacks, and dealing damage. (your second and Most important skill in killing and 1v1ing an enemy, USE WITH CAUTION, dont waste if there are heroes like YI,Katarina,Warick..and other such "Blinking" heroes, its good to stop them After their blink, or keep them off of Allies in a team fight)

Spell Flux (Active): Releases an orb of pure energy at a target. The orb bounces from the initial target and
continues through 6 bounces. Each bounce which lands upon an enemy deals damage.
(this skill is your most powerful, and can, If used correctly, wipe an entire team out, Almost always gauruntees a kill 1v1)

Desperate Power (Passive): While Ryze's health is below 40%, his ability power is increased. *best mind game passive in the game, let apponent chase untill its triggerd then, Rune Prison and turn the fight arround)

Masteries:
What ever suits you best IMO

I personally use

21/0/9 for the extra Magic damage/crit/crit damage and AP its very nice

you can go 9/0/21 for the Cooldown stuff though, if thats what you like

Runes:

For this i use a Full +AP at 18 page

I will do some testing with +CRITDMG and +AP at 18 or Magic Pen

Skill Build:

Arcane Mastery
Rune Prison
Arcane Mastery
Rune Prison
Rune Prison
Spell Flux
Rune Prison
Rune Prison
Arcane Mastery
Overload
Overload
Spell Flux
Overload
Overload
Arcane Mastery/Overload
Overload/Arcane Mastery
Spell Flux
Arcane Mastery

Items:

Amplifying Tome
>Sheen
Sorcerers Shoes
(Elixer of Agility/Brilliance)
Blasting Wand
>Lich Bane
Blasting Wand/Catalyst The Protector
>Rod Of Ages
Zeal
>Phantom Dancer(when possible/if needed)
Blasting Wand
>Guinsoos Rage Blade/Rylai's Scepter/Archangel's Staff
Situational Survival Item(Frozen Heart Physical Heavy/Banshees Veil Caster Heavy)

Why This Build?

With Ryze's Arcane Mastery + a High AP/Attack Speed you will Shred, and i mean SHRED through towers, not only that a Rune Prisoned Enemy will almost always die, even without ult towards Mid Game/End Game. But as always when playing Ryze BE CAREFUL, dont do something stupid like strand yourself without ulti or Rune prison, YOU WILL DIE AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE TARGETED IN TEAM FIGHTS! Everyone is afraid of Ryze so use this to your advantage. Remember, this build doesnt only require spell casting, All you need is runeprison and your Elixers active, you will Crit for 300+ Early game with just sheen sorcs boots and both elixers.

Tips?:

Certainly!

1. Try to get the Creep Buffs (Lizard & Golem) if you can, they are really great tools for this build witht he slow and CD/Mana regen

2. If your running from a foe, Try to be smart. Dont use Rune prison until you have close by allies, or you can let lose Rune Prison and overload with your passive active. This will surely change the tides.

3. In team fights, play VERY carefully, hide if you have to, then come out and snare one and have the team wail on em. Or sit back and attack normally and then when their team is together ult and watch em ALL DIE, snare any stragglers gasping for breath

4. Careful, watch your enemies items, Check for +Magic Resist gear, If so, get -Magic Resist items to counter.... also Spell Pen runes will help for this aswell.

5. Remember, tanks arent a problem for CRIT/AP Ryze, his damage is magic based, if they stacked armor they are as squishy as the next. Careful though! watch for +Magic Resist gear, a good tank will get some to counter you.

6. If you have spare change, Buy some elixers, once every four mins is good enough, I buy my first set as soon as i have Sorc boots and Sheen.. its really powerful.

7. Most of all just have fun, And remember, this build may not be for you.. this build IS rather aggressive, if your not an aggressive player, Why the hell did you pick Ryze? lol jk, but seriously Be careful is the biggest thing i can Stress,

Conclusion:

With this build, you can, if played right, Cary a team, i do constantly with 25+ kills and 5- deaths, so HAVE FUN!

Lollerman

10-13-2009

Ironically, NOT written by RyzeAgainst.

Quep

10-13-2009

lol, didnt even know a guy by that name existed

Highborne

10-13-2009

You are most likely better off not grabbing Rod so late in the game.

If anything grab a Rylai's Scepter for the slow and health instead of Rod where it will never be that great.

boogie

10-13-2009

I will be submitting a guide next week on how to properly use auto-shotgun in CS next week.

Cataphract

10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie View Post
I will be submitting a guide next week on how to properly use auto-shotgun in CS next week.
I will follow with a guide for the M249.

Fannypak

10-13-2009

The guides being written for Battle Ryze just seem so "off" to me. Theres way more ways to obtain decent attack speed, while not going down a path of sub par items.

First off, Lichbane does not give Ryze the full benefit from its effect. It only increases his damage by the remainder of his passive. IE. If you have 2 ranks of his "W" for a total of 20% of your AP as damage, you'll only receive the remaining 80% from Lichbane. Meaning at rank 5 of his Arcane Mastery, you're pretty much paying the full price for half the benefit of Lichbane.

Secondly, Rune Prisone + Overload has WAY more harassment potential than Arcane Mastery + Rune Prison. Not to mention, a Rune Prison + Overload combo in front of your tower is usually an early game kill, and first blood.

Ryze is a unique hero in this game because he is somewhat of a hybrid. Hes the best ganker in the game, but hes also useful outside of ganking. Hes what I would consider one of the two "caster carries" in this game (the other being Veigar).

Of course people can play Ryze like this, and attempt to carry from beginning to end, but, in my opinion, thats not what you should be doing.

My usual Ryze skill build is Rune Prison level 1, then Overload and continuing that until they are maxed out, only skipping over them when I can take points in my ult. If i've been having a normal game, I should be keeping up with any of their carries in levels, allowing me to get my Arcane Mastery as their carries are getting their mid-endgame items.

My usual item build is:
Amplifying Tome
Sorc Boots
SoulStealer
Nashors Tooth
Zring

By the time I get my Zring, my AP should be at ~500, which easily allows me to kill someone in a Rune Prison. I can also support my team and fill my role (of ganker) the moment I get my ult (also filling up my soulstealer).

Ryze has the unique role of playing as a ganker early game, and being able to switch to the role of a carry late game. Playing him in any other way, just seems like you're not benefiting your team to me.

Quep

10-13-2009

@Alanspectro

The point of all guides is to give people a different perspective on a Champion, or the more Noob friendly guides are to help get started on a champion. This build, not so noob friendly....

Although, i do respect your criticism and agree on some points. Like and early game overload/rune prison will almost always yield a FB, In Front Of The Tower, in mid lane solo, which is common for me as Ryze, this rarely happens against a good player, so with Rune prison and Arcane mastery up, by level 5/6 i can snare and get atleast 3-6 hits off, depending on their Move speed. Not to mention the extra damage i do to towers early on Does infact help my team immensly.

And while there are some items you could get, Like nashors tooth which i actually forget about sometimes, but the item is very good for attack speed, but i rarely need it with the elixers active. Also Zring+Arch staff is devistatingly large ammounts of AP but you may not even get that far in game... And even what you DO get from lich bane is a very powerful hit.

In conclusion, There IS and always WILL be a load of different ways to play a Champ, this is one of the many builds i do, but found this, IMO, to be the best one for carying and complete tower destruction

Quep

10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
I will follow with a guide for the M249.
can you please make a proper Scout guide?

Slide

10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanspectro View Post
The guides being written for Battle Ryze just seem so "off" to me. Theres way more ways to obtain decent attack speed, while not going down a path of sub par items.

First off, Lichbane does not give Ryze the full benefit from its effect. It only increases his damage by the remainder of his passive. IE. If you have 2 ranks of his "W" for a total of 20% of your AP as damage, you'll only receive the remaining 80% from Lichbane. Meaning at rank 5 of his Arcane Mastery, you're pretty much paying the full price for half the benefit of Lichbane.

Secondly, Rune Prisone + Overload has WAY more harassment potential than Arcane Mastery + Rune Prison. Not to mention, a Rune Prison + Overload combo in front of your tower is usually an early game kill, and first blood.

Ryze is a unique hero in this game because he is somewhat of a hybrid. Hes the best ganker in the game, but hes also useful outside of ganking. Hes what I would consider one of the two "caster carries" in this game (the other being Veigar).

Of course people can play Ryze like this, and attempt to carry from beginning to end, but, in my opinion, thats not what you should be doing.

My usual Ryze skill build is Rune Prison level 1, then Overload and continuing that until they are maxed out, only skipping over them when I can take points in my ult. If i've been having a normal game, I should be keeping up with any of their carries in levels, allowing me to get my Arcane Mastery as their carries are getting their mid-endgame items.

My usual item build is:
Amplifying Tome
Sorc Boots
SoulStealer
Nashors Tooth
Zring

By the time I get my Zring, my AP should be at ~500, which easily allows me to kill someone in a Rune Prison. I can also support my team and fill my role (of ganker) the moment I get my ult (also filling up my soulstealer).

Ryze has the unique role of playing as a ganker early game, and being able to switch to the role of a carry late game. Playing him in any other way, just seems like you're not benefiting your team to me.
QFT

Arcane mastery is a transition ability. It makes Ryzes late game effective. Ive seen some people use a level of it early, and that can help, but in no way can it beat out Overload + Rune Prison.

There are specific instances to take it though. I have seen it work well to counter Rammus. Overload and rune prison could have worked well in that situation as well, but the switch to magic damage from ryze kept the Rammus in check for most of mid game.

So, there are times when it can be beneficial, dont automatically jump down the throat of anyone you see doing this in a game, ask them why first. In general however, "Battle Ryze" is an inferior build to Overload+Rune Prison.