@People who are against streamers using "gay"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pandanimals

Senior Member

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
Because people used to the word 'gay' as an insult, to insinuate the other person was homosexual.

It gradually shifted in its meaning as an insult, to mean 'stupid or lame'.

If you can't see why that's offensive, then you are stupid. It's like calling someone a jew because they're stingy with money. Oh, it's not offensive because I'm not being anti-Semitic, just making fun of misers! No, shut up, you're stupid.
We're not talking about using it as an insult, that's a whole different world entirely.

What the thread is about is streamers saying stuff like "Aww, gay, he stole my red".


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pandanimals

Senior Member

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
People don't use the word gay to call someone a name?
They do, but that's not the problem is in the LoL community. What people are upset about is streamers saying gay when something bad happens.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmokingJoeNL

Senior Member

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanimals View Post
They do, but that's not the problem is in the LoL community. What people are upset about is streamers saying gay when something bad happens.
The answer is in your own sentence.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pandanimals

Senior Member

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
The answer is in your own sentence.
I don't understand.

Streamers using gay in it's second meaning is why people are upset?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmokingJoeNL

Senior Member

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanimals View Post
I don't understand.

Streamers using gay in it's second meaning is why people are upset?
Gay people are upset that a word that is used to describe them is also used to say something is bad or negative.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IambicPandameter

Junior Member

01-19-2012

I'm going to assume you genuinely don't understand what's going on and say that people who are offended by it think that the use of the word "gay" to mean "lame" or "bad" implies that gay people are also lame or bad, or that being homosexual is lame or bad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pandanimals

Senior Member

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
Gay people are upset that a word that is used to describe them is also used to say something is bad or negative.
But there are lots of other words that mean different things that don't relate to each other.

It just seems like everyone is assuming these meanings are related to each other, when they aren't, and most people who use it aren't at all homophobic.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmokingJoeNL

Senior Member

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanimals View Post
But there are lots of other words that mean different things that don't relate to each other.

It just seems like everyone is assuming these meanings are related to each other, when they aren't, and most people who use it aren't at all homophobic.
I am not talking about deeper or underlying meanings or reasons. You asked why, that's why.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vaalkaar

Member

01-19-2012

Gay originally meant "happy", and evolved to mean "homosexual". Using "gay" to describe something as being negative implies that being homosexual is a negative thing. In fact that's WHY the word "gay" came to be used in that manner. Hence the source of the issue in using "gay" in a pejorative sense.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dobagoh

Member

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanimals View Post
But there are lots of other words that mean different things that don't relate to each other.

It just seems like everyone is assuming these meanings are related to each other, when they aren't, and most people who use it aren't at all homophobic.
The meanings are related to each other, you moron. If gay didn't mean homosexual, it would not be used the way it is used today.