@People who are against streamers using "gay"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dominick Destine

Recruiter

01-19-2012

Those people are gay.

Lagfromhell

Vaalkaar

01-19-2012

I think this is an appropriate response: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32K0nq0u0f0 < WARNING: adult language, parental discretion advised.

Pandanimals

01-19-2012

Quote:
Your post there doesn't really answer my question.

I still don't understand why it's a bad thing for a word to have two separate meanings, or why people are upset about it.

Lagfromhell

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanimals View Post
Your post there doesn't really answer my question.

I still don't understand why it's a bad thing for a word to have two separate meanings, or why people are upset about it.
I'm just gonna facepalm and walk away now.

/facepalm

SmokingJoeNL

01-19-2012

Quote:
Can you help me understand the issue here?

I don't expect this thread to be taken very kindly, this is a subject that a lot of people feel strongly about, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around why people take offense to this.

When did it become a bad thing for a word to have two separate meanings?

I mean, lots of words have two meanings. Just as an example, wood = erection is a pretty common occurrence. But when people use the term it isn't implying that wood from a tree is like a phallus, it's just two separate meanings for a word.

I know this isn't really related to LoL, but there was a closed thread talking about it and I can't say I really understand the problem. I'd like to hear some ideas about why a word having two unrelated meanings is bad. I don't really care for it being used every other word, either, but why people are upset about it over other words confuses me.
What if someone would call your mom a ***** and when you get mad they say that ***** has 2 meanings for them. One bad and one good and they meant the good one in this case. Would you buy that?

Pandanimals

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagfromhell View Post
I'm just gonna facepalm and walk away now.

/facepalm
Sorry if I'm being frustrating, but there are so many words that have unrelated meanings, why this single word having two meanings is a bad thing and offends people I don't understand.

Pandanimals

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
What if someone would call your mom a ***** and when you get mad they say that ***** has 2 meanings for them. One bad and one good and they meant the good one in this case. Would you buy that?
In that context both are an insult, because calling my mother the b-word either is an insult or is a word for a female dog, which is also an insult.

So I'd be offended either way, but that's because both meanings in that context are bad.

Besides, we're not talking about calling someone a name, we're talking about using a word in in place of another.

Dobagoh

01-19-2012

Quote:
Sorry if I'm being frustrating, but there are so many words that have unrelated meanings, why this single word having two meanings is a bad thing and offends people I don't understand.
Because people used to the word 'gay' as an insult, to insinuate the other person was homosexual.

It gradually shifted in its meaning as an insult, to mean 'stupid or lame'.

If you can't see why that's offensive, then you are stupid. It's like calling someone a jew because they're stingy with money. Oh, it's not offensive because I'm not being anti-Semitic, just making fun of misers! No, shut up, you're stupid.

SmokingJoeNL

01-19-2012

Quote:
In that context both are an insult, because calling my mother the b-word either is an insult or is a word for a female dog, which is also an insult.

So I'd be offended either way, but that's because both meanings in that context are bad.

Besides, we're not talking about calling someone a name, we're talking about using a word in in place of another.
People don't use the word gay to call someone a name?