@People who are against streamers using "gay"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pandanimals

01-19-2012

Can you help me understand the issue here?

I don't expect this thread to be taken very kindly, this is a subject that a lot of people feel strongly about, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around why people take offense to this.

When did it become a bad thing for a word to have two separate meanings?

I mean, lots of words have two meanings. Just as an example, wood = erection is a pretty common occurrence. But when people use the term it isn't implying that wood from a tree is like a phallus, it's just two separate meanings for a word.

I know this isn't really related to LoL, but there was a closed thread talking about it and I can't say I really understand the problem. I'd like to hear some ideas about why a word having two unrelated meanings is bad. I don't really care for it being used every other word, either, but why people are upset about it over other words confuses me.

TheTrojan665

01-19-2012

lol phallus

Pandanimals

01-19-2012

Bump for curiosity.

Cameryn Kyre

01-19-2012

... Read one of the threads 50+ pages thick... the argument is well laid out...

Zacko

01-19-2012

What's the context of the question? Are you asking why it is considered bad for a word to have two seperate meanings? It isn't, as far as I know. Are you asking why it's bad for someone to use a homophobic slur in streaming? Seems like a stupid question, maybe I'm missing something.

Pandanimals

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameryn Kyre View Post
... Read one of the threads 50+ pages thick... the argument is well laid out...
I have, but I still don't understand it.

People seem to think that gay having a separate meaning that is used in place of 'bad', or 'lame', means that gay = bad. When lots of words have two separate meanings that people don't complain about.

Pandanimals

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacko View Post
What's the context of the question? Are you asking why it is considered bad for a word to have two seperate meanings? It isn't, as far as I know. Are you asking why it's bad for someone to use a homophobic slur in streaming? Seems like a stupid question, maybe I'm missing something.
I didn't think that 'gay' was a homophobic slur. It just has a different meaning used in place of 'bad' or 'that sucks'.

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

When... was the issue ever about WORDS having DOUBLE MEANINGS. I'm so god awfully confused on how you came to that conclusion.

Pandanimals

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstcase View Post
When... was the issue ever about WORDS having DOUBLE MEANINGS. I'm so god awfully confused on how you came to that conclusion.
People seem to be upset over streamers using "gay" in it's second meaning of 'bad' or 'lame'.

Pandanimals

01-19-2012

Final bump for curiosity. I'm just hoping to gain some clarity on this subject, since the thread I found was closed.