Bye bye Megaupload..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DotEleven

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika Fox View Post
Really? Something has to be missing here.... arresting people who made megaupload simply because its a site to share files for people to download?...
With SOPA/PIPA it's just gonna go downhill from there.

Pika Fox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotEleven View Post
With SOPA/PIPA it's just gonna go downhill from there.
I know that.... but this still seems a bit off to me...You wouldnt take that drastic action without proper reasoning.

Mid Plz Or AFK

01-19-2012

Quote:
I know that.... but this still seems a bit off to me...You wouldnt take that drastic action without proper reasoning.
Since when has the U.S. Government been known to use "proper reasoning".. Hmm?

Pika Fox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoBoi View Post
Youd assume that arresting multiple people and shutting down an entire site like that would be thought out properly, as it can create a large backfire. Politicians normally like re-election.

Mid Plz Or AFK

01-19-2012

Money speaks louder than the voice of the people, sadly..

Vuliev

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoBoi View Post
Quote:
Or, you could do a cursory Google search and see that the Megaupload owners are being charged with not only massive copyright violations, but also large-scale money laundering. That second one is not a charge thrown around lightly, so it's reasonable to infer that the DoJ has some pretty significant evidence on them to have made a move like this.

I agree that it's suspicious for the seizure to happen right after the SOPA blackouts, but if the charges are true, then it's actually a blow against SOPA, not its opponents. If we can go after the actual harmful pirates with the current laws, then there's not much need for dumbassery like SOPA/PIPA, now is there?

Dobagoh

01-19-2012

Quote:
Youd assume that arresting multiple people and shutting down an entire site like that would be thought out properly, as it can create a large backfire. Politicians normally like re-election.
You'd assume that government agencies like the FBI operate largely at their own discretion and enjoy complete freedom of control from Congress or the President, so politicians cannot exert undue control or influence to force government agencies to pursue their own partisan agendas.

Oh wait, I guess people like you don't understand how the US Government works.

Pika Fox

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
You'd assume that government agencies like the FBI operate largely at their own discretion and enjoy complete freedom of control from Congress or the President, so politicians cannot exert undue control or influence to force government agencies to pursue their own partisan agendas.

Oh wait, I guess people like you don't understand how the US Government works.
Theyre still controlled by someone and come into power and answer to the government. You wouldnt let them act completely free, just like how the government is supposed to listen to the people.

All i was saying is that the article on this page doesnt give enough information to accurately detail why they were detained.

Dobagoh

01-19-2012

Quote:
Theyre still controlled by someone and come into power and answer to the government. You wouldnt let them act completely free, just like how the government is supposed to listen to the people.
Actually yes, you would let them act completely free, subject only to their obligations under law.

Quote:
All i was saying is that the article on this page doesnt give enough information to accurately detail why they were detained.
Yes it does. It outlines the crimes they are charged with. What more do you want?

Pika Fox

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
Actually yes, you would let them act completely free, subject only to their obligations under law.

Yes it does. It outlines the crimes they are charged with. What more do you want?
Reasons/proof. If you make an accusation, supplying some explanation of it would be nice so one could make a better thought as to whats going on.