The "G-Word.." Gay, and its growing use online

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bainemo

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagfromhell View Post
Clearly, the word gay is still offensive to most people no matter how you use it. Why else would people still get offended?

Using the word in gamer terminology psychologically sows the seeds of negative reactions towards the associated word.
The word gay is, at best, offensive to most GAY people, which makes it offensive to about 4% of the united states population IF we include "straight" people who consider it offensive and assume 100% of gay people find the word gay offensive (which they don't).

Exuberant Otter

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainemo View Post
I never said that no words are offensive, I said that some words aren't offensive any more because the english language evolves. There is no argument against that as far as I'm aware.
Your point doesn't acknowledge the fact that it is the offended and not the offender that is able to determine if a word is or isn't offensive to them.

Exuberant Otter

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainemo View Post
The word gay is, at best, offensive to most GAY people, which makes it offensive to about 4% of the united states population IF we include "straight" people who consider it offensive and assume 100% of gay people find the word gay offensive (which they don't).
Way to show off your incorrect understanding of statistics.