The "G-Word.." Gay, and its growing use online

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Agamentium

01-19-2012

Thing is, you are associating the word gay with something negative.

USS BUTTPEE

01-19-2012

AGH

I accidentally upvoted the OP. Can someone downvote him twice for me somehow?

Dominick Destine

Recruiter

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAWHALEOOORAOOR View Post
This thread is gay.

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

If you honestly don't see the viewpoint coming from people who think it is offensive. Than either you're just stupid or purposely ignorant (which still makes you stupid). It's not the definition that really matters so much AS THE CONTEXT OF WHICH IT IS USED IN.

Bainemo

01-19-2012

If you're against the use of the word gay because it has negative connotations you make up, you'd better stop using the word dumb, because it's offensive to people who can't talk. You can't use imbecile or moron either, because those used to refer to people with forms of mental retardation. In fact, think of literally any insult and it used to mean something else. So either you can be a hypocrite and be against some but not others, or you can get over yourself.

Vaalkaar

01-19-2012

If that's how you feel about it, might I suggest you try doing the same thing with, say, the n-word? Maybe come visit Detroit and try it.

There's really no difference in my not so humble opinion.

Bainemo

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaalkaar View Post
If that's how you feel about it, might I suggest you try doing the same thing with, say, the n-word? Maybe come visit Detroit and try it.

There's really no difference in my not so humble opinion.
I never said that no words are offensive, I said that some words aren't offensive any more because the english language evolves. There is no argument against that as far as I'm aware.

Vaalkaar

01-19-2012

Not at all. I'm extrapolating on your premise. The n-word evolved from slave owner slang, which is part of why it's so offensive. Using gay pejoratively came from people thinking that being gay was a bad think. So if something else was bad they'd use "gay" to describe it. That's an oversimplified explanation of how it evolved, but I'm trusting you're smart enough to get the picture.

Lagfromhell

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainemo View Post
I never said that no words are offensive, I said that some words aren't offensive any more because the english language evolves. There is no argument against that as far as I'm aware.
Clearly, the word gay is still offensive to most people no matter how you use it. Why else would people still get offended?

Using the word in gamer terminology psychologically sows the seeds of negative reactions towards the associated word.

LucidFlux

01-19-2012

You mean gay as in happy?