The "G-Word.." Gay, and its growing use online

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reapexx

01-19-2012

Ok, listen here..

Words, especially in the English language, often have meanings that may change over time.

For quite a time, gay used to mean colorful or showy. For quite another long time, gay used to mean happy or pleasurable.

In the past few decades, the word gay has come to mean "homosexual," or having sexual attraction towards others of the same gender. But it seems in the past few years, the meaning of the word "gay" has been transforming into something that is used to express outrage or annoyance.

"That move is so gay!"
"I can't believe I died in such a gay way!"

I don't see why this offends people at all, personally. The word gay has obviously been moving away from being used to describe people who are homosexual and shifting towards being used to describe unpleasant, annoying, or outraging things. I mean think about it.. do you think that for ONE MOMENT that when someone says something is "gay" in the examples above, they are meaning to offend the homosexual population, or that homosexual people even cross their mind? No.

Language changes, the word gay's meaning happens to be shifting away from homosexual people.

Wulfestopheles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

There is nothing about League of Legends in this thread.

A Little Haley

01-19-2012

This thread is gay.

Noyan

01-19-2012

lol

SmokingJoeNL

01-19-2012

Try substituting the way you use gay with black or yellow. Then explain to people of color that you don't mean anything negative by calling something **** black or yellow. Good luck.

Dobagoh

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
Try substituting the way you use gay with black or yellow. Then explain to people of color that you don't mean anything negative by calling something **** black or yellow. Good luck.
You're yellow.

Reapexx

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
Except that much more than 1 person use "gay" in the way I outlined in my thread?

Try thousands and thousands of people using gay instead of black or yellow.

SmokingJoeNL

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaineRPX View Post
Except that much more than 1 person use "gay" in the way I outlined in my thread?

Try thousands and thousands of people using gay instead of black or yellow.
It was a metaphor brohamski.

Ellista

01-19-2012

THlS IS FVCKING LESBIAN!

Lagfromhell

01-19-2012

Just because you use it in a "non-offensive" manner, doesn't mean the derogatory connotations aren't there. In both instances, you're using the word in a derogatory manner. Whether or not someone takes offense to it depends on how strongly they feel about that word. Why don't you try to broaden your vocabulary and learn some other/new words that people won't take offense to so easily?