Dominion latest Buzz

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Detrium

12-02-2011

Come here for the latest news and rumors about dominion!

Top interest for dominion community
* Dominion Ranked games.
* New items coming for dominion
* Balance and Dominion
* Draft pick queue time and queue dodge issues.
* Change in Dominion metagame
* Dominion's scoring system (personal score)

I will update this thread as I get more information.

See you all back in the arena!
(If you like what I am doing please upvote me! )

=============
News Feed
=============
Jan 3, 2012: Happy new year!.
Glad to be back from the holidays, hope you all enjoyed yours as well. In my latest post I talk about the scoring system.

Dec 20, 2011: The Dominion game mode is mature and will not mature much more unless RIOT plans on making significant changes soon.
RIOT is waiting for Dominion game mode to be mature before turning on ranked. (See post for more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Depends on how things shake out balance wise really. The implementation is done on the back side, but we want the map to have a chance to mature enough before we flip the switch.
Dec 12, 2011: Design Your Caster Item thread goes viral
I started a thread last Friday and it exploded! Check the latest post in this thread for more info, and here's the post that started it all:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrium View Post
New items are coming in Dominion and Riot mentioned they want to bring in Caster specific items. I think unique Activation have big potential to making caster more viable.

Here is my caster item:

Urtistan's Afterburner
Cost 2600

+60 Ability Power
+200 health
UNIQUE Passive: +10% Cooldown Reduction
UNIQUE Active: Abilities CoolDown 100% faster for 6 second (CoolDown 2sec per 1sec)

Share your concept item!
Dec 07, 2011: Dominion needs a new map layout!
Woa that is a pretty big statement there! With all the discussion about dominion's current metagame designers are evaluating possible map changes to Dominion.

Dec 05, 2011: No Release date set for ranked dominion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
yes there are plans for it, but the time frame hasn't been set.

in the meantime, i'd use normals as a good opportunity to 'skill up' before ranked hits--players had a long time to prepare for ranked classic, so they were pretty much ready to go when the ranked queues were turned on. dominion is new enough that i assume most players could benefit greatly from a couple hundred games or so. besides, i'm sure your friends would be happy to have you play with them on crystal scar.
Dec 02, 2011: Riot seeking to change bottom lane meta!
Quote:
We're evaluating doing some slight changes soon that may or may not help with making the bottom lane a little more interesting and fluid. We'll see how they work out.
Nov 24, 2011: Dominion not mature enough for rank?
Quote:
speaking from my own experiences with dominion, i think there is still value in holding off from turning on ranked. in dominion's pre-season, it is a lot easier to make changes that could affect how the game is played.

Detrium

12-05-2011

Ranked Dominion is the most popular topic in the forum!

Players are craving to compete and are ready for ranked. Although there is still concerns about whether Dominion is ready for ranked, the majority of players want to start now as RIOT continues to tweak Dominion.

Is rank coming? (see news feed for full quote).

Quote:
yes there are plans for it, but the time frame hasn't been set.
In the few months Dominion has been released the metagame has already stabilized with the most popular being 4 top 1 bottom.

We all know Riot has been working on some big changes for Dominion. Some of these changes are targeting bottom lane meta, balance changes, and rumors about changes to map layout.

The Dominion community is eager to see what Riot has in store for us and we can't wait for the next big patch.

If you like what I am doing please upvote me!

Detrium

12-06-2011

Found this interesting reply from Brackhar today.

Quote:
I'm not part of the live team so unfortunately I'm not up to date on their QA pipeline, thus it's risky for me to say stuff is coming soon or not. My high level priorities right now are:

1) Continue the re-evaluation of the respawn system. We likely need a replacement to the window approach to get rid of some of the odd incentives it creates, but I'm unsure what the correct solution is that still hits the original goals the respawn windows were created to solve.

2) Spice up bot lane some more. My theory is that some small adjustments to how vision is given on the bottom lane may help make the area more palatable to non-standard strats, but talks are ongoing.

3) Add more caster items.

4) Generally try to improve the reinforcement in positive actions. This is an across the board goal that touches on a lot of things - kills, captures, quests, etc. - and extend from subtle UI improvements to larger scale system changes like the respawn rework in #1.

5) Continue to evaluate champion balance and be on watch for whether item solutions are sufficient.

Those are just my priorities though.

Detrium

12-07-2011

Lot's of activity happening in the @Brackhar + ricklessabandon thread! It seems more and more likely that changes to the map layout is coming! I think it would be very healthy for the game if they made drill and factory more important.

The problem with Drill and factory is they are both "on the path to windmill". Because of this their is a constant flow of enemies that run by these point making it very unattractive to capture. Only a well timed backdoor attempt can capture these points, or they are simply used as a distraction to get people to leave windmill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helixes View Post
@To both of you...

Do you feel there needs to be changes to get the drill and factory more involved in game play? Perhaps it is the skill level I play, but most people ignore it under normal circumstances. I personally only see Factory and drill get attacked with force if...

A) One team is completely dominating the other
B) Desperate backdoor attempt to break a 4-5 cap

Bot and windmill are in constant flux while the two mid bases feel static. The cap 3 and don't even try to get a fourth seems far to popular, though this I personally believe is due to the low risk of it.

I ask both because I personally suspect there would be a bit of opinions based on point of view.
Brackhar replied:

Quote:
The more that can be done to get those point engaged in the game the better in my view.

Detrium

12-08-2011

Until Rank is out for Dominion, here's a cool little tool that can estimate your ELO:

http://lolcave.com/ec/

Nekrogen

12-08-2011

Quote:
Until Rank is out for Dominion, here's a cool little tool that can estimate your ELO:

http://lolcave.com/ec/
While this is a neat little tool, I highly doubt my hidden Dominion elo is 2500 XD.

Thanks for doing all this. +1

Sauron

12-08-2011

I'm getting 2500 elo as well.

That can only be right if there are plenty of other people in that range which, judging from the 40 minute queue times, isn't.

Detrium

12-12-2011

Design Your Own Caster Item

Started a new thread last Friday and it just went viral! Thank you all for the overwhelming response!

Before featuring some of the items lets hear from RIOT:

Quote:
Stay away from SpellVamp in your designs if you can. We tried making some spell vamp items early in Dominion and it ended up backfiring pretty hard. As such I'm not eager to re-add more of the stat to the map without being really careful so it's only desirable to casters.
Featured Items:
The post that started it all:
Quote:
New items are coming in Dominion and Riot mentioned they want to bring in Caster specific items. I think unique Activation have big potential to making caster more viable.

Here is my caster item:

Urtistan's Afterburner
Cost 2600

+60 Ability Power
+200 health
UNIQUE Active: Abilities CoolDown 100% faster for 6 seconds(CoolDown 2sec per 1sec)

Share your concept item!
Yes apparently I like quoting myself :P
Quote:
Here's another for casters that cannot use up their mana before dieing:

Diablo's Mana Shield
Recipe: Fiendish Codex + 800 gold

+40 Ability Power
+10 Mana Regen per 5 seconds
UNIQUE Active: 60% of damage is absorb by mana for 3 seconds. Damage absorb will reduce mana (60 seconds cooldown)

Share your concept item!
A great way to counter players who stack Attack Speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeron View Post
Freljord Staff
Kindlegem + Blasting Wand
+60 AP
+300 HP
+10% CDR
Unique Passive: Your spell damage slows the target's attack speed by 25%
Needs some tweeking but I like a physical version of hextech drinker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lyon View Post
Repercussion Rings
Item Cost: 700G
+250 Health, +40 AP, +40 AR
UNIQUE Passive: If you would take physical damage that would leave you at less than 30% Health, you first gain a shield that absorbs 500 physical damage for 4 seconds (60 second cooldown). That damage is stored for up to sixty seconds.

UNIQUE Active: Deals up to 500 physical damage stored as true damage to target. (120 second cooldown).

Builds From: Doran's Ring + Doran's Ring + Cloth Armor
I'm a sucker for any unique active.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkrothe View Post
Arcane Vestments:
Spirit Visage + Blasting wand + X gold
Y health (a bit more than 300)
Z MR (>30)
A AP (>40)
Unique passive: that of spirit visage.
Unique Active: A clarity like spell which restores mana or maybe like zileans cd red spell, which reduces your spell cds by 10-15 secs, but having a large cooldown for the active, so you have to really think of situations where it will benefit you most (kind of like a summoner spell).

Essentially something that upgrades out of spirit visage for casters.

Detrium

12-13-2011

Items will have to balance Dominion

Quote:
not really. the change was to a mechanic that was problematic on dominion due to the nature of death and respawning--essentially two mechanics weren't playing nicely with each other. changing the 'zombie' mechanic was less disruptive than changing death/respawn mechanics (which would have impacted everything about dominion).

making map-specific balance changes at the champion level would be heading down a perilous path. i'm not saying it's impossible, but there is a lot of overhead associated with taking that road. i would not say that we're willing to make those changes--not at this point anyway.
When Dominion was release Riot stated they would balance Dominion using items, global buffs and other changes. Balancing champions separately for Dominion and SR is not going to happen. So get ready to see some new items for Dominion, already there has been lots of discussion about caster items (See above post).

Detrium

12-16-2011

I will admit this makes it easier to gank bottom by reducing the time it takes to avoid visibility. Since time is crucial in dominion this subtle change does make a difference even if it is a small one. Check out the Brackhar thread's for a thumbnail of the map change.

Quote:
Hey guys, after looking through the patch notes we seem to have left off a change that I'm hoping will have a subtle yet solid benefit for the map. This patch we've altered the vision layout of the map, reducing the vision bleed in for the bottom two points and adding a bit more vision bleed in at the top where there wasn't before. This should hopefully make the bottom points a bit easier to attack while also making pushing the top lanes safer as well. I'll work with Udyr to get the patch notes updated properly, but I wanted to go ahead and call out the change for you guys as well. I've attached a minimap image with the affected areas circled.

Forgive the MSPaint highlighting!