Megaupload is closed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ASheepHurrDurr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

Its really the music/movie industry. They are too lazy to build something that will support a business model in the 20th century. People like convenience. I can drive to blockbuster to get a movie, or I can get it right at my computer on Netflix. People also don't like to pay for things unless they know that they will like them. What SOPA/PIPA is is just the movie industry trying to force us to adapt to their business model, so they keep generating windfall profits at the expense of other people.

Also something about the military detention bill that passed not too long ago. Seems like the two are related and that something bad could be happening soon.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bekkal

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASheepHurrDurr View Post
Its really the music/movie industry. They are too lazy to build something that will support a business model in the 20th century. People like convenience. I can drive to blockbuster to get a movie, or I can get it right at my computer on Netflix. People also don't like to pay for things unless they know that they will like them. What SOPA/PIPA is is just the movie industry trying to force us to adapt to their business model, so they keep generating windfall profits at the expense of other people.
I actually brought this up to my Congressmen when I wrote them, citing the success of Steam and iTunes in a formerly piracy-driven market.

Companies that are slow to improve will get ripped off, and I'm not sure the government has any business legislating in their favor from an ethics standpoint. Obviously, however, the current law favors the companies and the lawmakes are wholly bought and paid for, so step one would be educating the citizenry so that lawmakers' jobs are at risk.