Does Space exist?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phen˛m

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by G°ggles View Post
And why is this in General Discussion?
The same reason these threads are.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1728106
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1728107
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1728262

Rasmorak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phen˛m View Post
Obviously talking about "Outer Space", not the space between your toes.

(Please bear in mind, I dropped out of school a year early. I'm not a genius, I just enjoy thinking about these kinds of things in-depth.)

I've always loved thinking about scientific things like Space, Time, Dimension. Something I was thinking about tonight was, Does space truly exist?

To exist, one must me made of something.
Space is not. Space is not made out of any atoms, molecules, or any other such microscopic thing.

To exist, one must be easily identifiable. Space is not.
You cannot look at "Space". You can see through/past/beyond it. You cannot look out your window and see "Space".

To exist, one must have a purpose, no matter how mundane or trivial it may be.
Space has no purpose. Matter does not NEED Space to exist. Matter exists within 'nothing'.

So tell me, GD, does Space TRULY exist?
Going in reverse, "nothing" is a void. If there is matter in "nothing" then it is something.

Space absolutely is identifiable because it's the lack of matter. You may not "see" space, but you see the lack of matter.

And finally, lulz, space is made out of all kinds of crazy stuff, the latest discovery being dark matter, inhabiting an astronomically large amount of the universe.

Metalopol

01-19-2012

well answer me this.. what happens when the unstoppable object meets with the unmovable object?

Vsin

01-19-2012

Nonexistence is a form of existence. Why wouldn't space exist?

Rumble Bot

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalopol View Post
well answer me this.. what happens when the unstoppable object meets with the unmovable object?
Chuck Norris

Pxncxke

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-19-2012

space is only the name to nothing

Hello Darkness

01-19-2012

Space isn't completely empty... there are still particles in it, they're just no where near as condensed as they are near a planet (gravity from the planet condenses our atmosphere, makes it possible to breathe). So technically, it IS made of something, its just very little of something. The comparison could be made that the difference between air and space is like the difference between lead and a helium balloon, except more exaggerated.

Bekkal

01-19-2012

What Darkened said. "Space" is essentially a plasma.

Arrhenius

01-19-2012

"Space" is not a thing, it's a dimension. It's what the universe as we know (can observe, rather) it exists in.

To put it simply.

Phen˛m

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmorak View Post
Going in reverse, "nothing" is a void. If there is matter in "nothing" then it is something.

Space absolutely is identifiable because it's the lack of matter. You may not "see" space, but you see the lack of matter.

And finally, lulz, space is made out of all kinds of crazy stuff, the latest discovery being dark matter, inhabiting an astronomically large amount of the universe.
A lack of something, is not a something in of itself. That's why it's described as a 'lack of something'.

And just because matter exists within Space, does not mean space is 'something'.

To everyone saying "Space is made out of lots of matter Lolz! Earth! Stars! Dark Matter!". All those things you described are their own matter. They are not a physical part of 'Space', because space is not made out of anything. Space is the complete and utter lack of everything.

eg. I throw a ball in the air. That ball isn't all of a sudden 'part' of the air. It is still it's own object, seperate from everything else.