Does Space exist?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phen˛m

01-19-2012

Obviously talking about "Outer Space", not the space between your toes.

(Please bear in mind, I dropped out of school a year early. I'm not a genius, I just enjoy thinking about these kinds of things in-depth.)

I've always loved thinking about scientific things like Space, Time, Dimension. Something I was thinking about tonight was, Does space truly exist?

To exist, one must me made of something.
Space is not. Space is not made out of any atoms, molecules, or any other such microscopic thing.

To exist, one must be easily identifiable. Space is not.
You cannot look at "Space". You can see through/past/beyond it. You cannot look out your window and see "Space".

To exist, one must have a purpose, no matter how mundane or trivial it may be.
Space has no purpose. Matter does not NEED Space to exist. Matter exists within 'nothing'.

So tell me, GD, does Space TRULY exist?

Edit: I don't know why I'm getting downvoted. This is a really engaging topic that I think a lot of people would enjoy

Tenshinmon

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phen˛m View Post

(Please bear in mind, I dropped out of school a year early. I'm not a genius, I just enjoy thinking about these kinds of things in-depth.)

I've always loved thinking about scientific things like Space, Time, Dimension. Something I was thinking about tonight was, Does space truly exist?

Space is not. Space is not made out of any atoms, molecules, or any other such microscopic thing.

You cannot look at "Space". You can see through/past/beyond it. You cannot look out your window and see "Space".

Space has no purpose. Matter does not NEED Space to exist. Matter exists within 'nothing'.

I'll answer that if you can answer this:
Why do we bake cookies, and cook bacon?

TerraceSolace

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

It doesn't really exist, no. It's just a name given to whatever is in between all the planets, starts and galaxies.

Wulfestopheles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshinmon View Post
Why do we bake cookies, and cook bacon?
Mind = blown

Arbuthnot

Recruiter

01-19-2012

Space is nothingness it exists as nothing

Silver Trinity

01-19-2012

Two things:

1. Yes it does at the same time does not.
2. This should be moved to Off-Topic.

bigSushiNinja

01-19-2012

we've created 'space' in chem class. It's nothing. A space of nothingness. So in theory it doesn't exist, yet it does exist because it is the nothingness between everything in the state of existence.

G°ggles

01-19-2012

Quote:

And why is this in General Discussion?

JJD

01-19-2012

Quote:
Please bear in mind, I dropped out of school a year early.

Pyrranha

01-19-2012

Dark matter.

/thread