Lunar Revel Art Contest Rules

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seismal

01-19-2012

I know this might be in the wrong forum section, but I have a few questions I'd like answered, and I didn't feel it was appropriate to post among the sea of excited responses in the original announcement thread.

1) I saw a few threads in the Fan Art forum, which made me think I misunderstood what my end result would be. Am I submitting a skin design, or fan art of already existing Lunar Revel skin? If it's the latter, feel free to ignore any of the following questions that do not apply;

2) Am I submitting a design, or a splash image, like in-game? I read the official rules, and it said entries can be submitted in any form of 3D visual representation (including sketches, paintings, colored pencil) so I assume I wouldn't be creating a splash image, but it's still unclear.

3a) Are the in-game items included in the design going to be on the model, in-game? If so, it seems like a fair bit of effort to add in a Madred's Bloodrazor to a model of a champion that doesn't always carry a spare hand around with them.
3b) If I drew Viktor, could I just tint the end of his staff and call it an augment?
3c) Is there any resource where the item icons are larger, or where their physical appearance is better explained?
3d) How accurate do my in-game items have to be? For example, I included Mercury's Treads in a design, and replaced the orange on the heel with gold to better fit.

4a) Ideally, would you like us to use items that the champion would actually purchase, as part of their build? For example, Caitlyn with a Phantom Dancer, Cassiopeia with a Rylai's, Sivir with a Manamune.
4b) If I put tier 2 boots on my champion design, does that count as my item? It would be a really easy way out, unless someone was designing a skin for a champion with no feet. Would I have to include a second item, to count as my one item?

5a) I googled "Lunar Revel" and the only things that came up were related to League. How do I know what Lunar Revel is, and consequently, how do I know what abides to the theme of Lunar Revel? Would I create something around the idea of the Chinese New Year?
5b) Does this mean if I include any North American-style clothes or traditions, my entry will be discarded or docked points?
5c) If I included firework particles in my design, would Riot be able to include them in the in-game model? What are my limits, with that?

6a) If I submitted multiple designs, could I put them all on one page and separate them by indicating which images went with what design, or would I have to submit them all in separate images?
6b) What kind of layout, if any, would you prefer; a character sheet or a splash image?
6c) Does quality of the drawing, in any way, affect my score?

7) Will Riot tweak anything they don't like about my design? For example, color scheme, clothing details, hair, etc. How much will be tweaked, if anything at all, and what element is most likely to be tweaked?

Yellowdinosaurs

01-19-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/items
You can use Grid View to view them all easier.

I believe it's fan-art they are asking for. Cosplay, cakes, drawings, etc.
But of any/all champions/items in the game.

Since any champ can use any item I'd think they wouldn't be too picky about which items you put, as long as they're recognizable.

I would like to know more about 5 and 6, myself.

Seismal

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdinosaurs View Post
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/items
You can use Grid View to view them all easier.

I believe it's fan-art they are asking for. Cosplay, cakes, drawings, etc.
But of any/all champions/items in the game.

Since any champ can use any item I'd think they wouldn't be too picky about which items you put, as long as they're recognizable.

I would like to know more about 5 and 6, myself.
I was excited about creating a character design, and made up a few really good, well thought out ones. ):
I guess that's what I get for not reading the rules thoroughly enough.

Yellowdinosaurs

01-19-2012

For a new champ?

Seismal

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdinosaurs View Post
For a new champ?
Skins for existing champions, based on Chinese New Years (additional "Lunar Revel" skins, I guess).

Yellowdinosaurs

01-19-2012

No reason that wouldn't count. As long as they have one item on them. It's still fanart. :>

CalypsoHoneyBear

01-19-2012

I asked the same thing about Lunar Revel, then read more about it on here and it's Valoran's lunar new year (I think it's Valoran). It's based on the Chinese New Year I'm sure. So lanterns, fireworks, scrolls, red and gold are good motifs to use as inspiration.

As to Riot "tweaks," I don't think this is a concern because this isn't art they are commissioning like they did in the previous t-shirt contest. I doubt they're planning on reselling the artwork submitted.

I'd suggest doing separate entries--remember you're emailing them to the riot submissions email address (on the rules page)

Nika mentioned paying attention to details, being creative, etc, so with your question about items, I'd think to use ones that make sense with the champ--that would be considered attention to detail and shows a true knowledge of the ins and outs of LoL.

Also, I would think about this contest more conceptually than everyone else seems to be thinking. The Lunar Revel, according to LoL lore is about rebirth, growth and renewal, as well as festivities (revel=festival). So while some people focus purely on redoing skins and sticking an item in there, I would think more about the concept of the Lunar Revel itself.

Try not thinking too hard on the details and just make cool ****. I'm excited to see what you create!

I hope this helps!

(I'm an advertising creative, so I'm more of a conceptual person, hence my interpretation of the contest. I'm also a writer, so sorry this is so long!)

Skeletim

01-21-2012

They mean Lunar Revel OR New Years.

Skeletim

01-21-2012

they meant lunar revel or new years. i dont think they just meant chinese new years

cunglancer

01-21-2012

yes, it chinese new year,,probably thought it would be more "pc" friendly. Even though its not really a religious thing.