So why is Elo...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ascleph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by K J View Post
Calling someone out for their KDA when playing Wukong, Talon, and Nocturne is perfectly valid, and it's a hell of a lot less harsh than calling them out for running a glass cannon build on a melee champion and getting 1-combo'd by kassadin repeatedly.
ermm

K J

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2012

Well... nocturne isn't exactly support or a tank, and if he's suiciding on points to hold them he'd stall them just as long by pressing B instead.

VhakulaKhaulepi

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by K J View Post
Well... nocturne isn't exactly support or a tank, and if he's suiciding on points to hold them he'd stall them just as long by pressing B instead.
While this isn't technically accurate (hitting someone, not recalling, is what breaks channels), many will agree that dying to hold a turret is often unwise.

lbgsloan

01-19-2012

Dominion elo is a strange beast. You want it high enough to avoid the 'just visiting' SR players who are there to troll and test new heroes, but you don't want it so high you start getting 10+ minute queue times. Also, as said, the fact that soloq and premades are lumped together causes some people to have massive elo inflation. Not saying some of the high elo players aren't really good, but there's others who've been spoiled by premade vs randoms stompfests.

Nunkuruji

01-19-2012

Less care since there's no official scoreboard for people to be hanging off each others nuts.

As already pointed out, it's called out for Matchmaking fails, as well as comparing experiences of crawling out of the starting ELO cesspool.

I imagine it'll start to get used as fuel for opposing arguments on the board as well - "my ELO is higher, I am right".

Quote:
You want it high enough to avoid the 'just visiting' SR players who are there to troll and test new heroes, but you don't want it so high you start getting 10+ minute queue times.
Funny thing about this. Myself and a friend are around 1700-1800, on lvl30s, and he also has another 1700-1800 lvl11 smurf or so. Primetime Normal Duo Queue on either pair gives wildly erratic queue times, while solo is very quick. This certainly isn't the high end 2200ish where I'd absolutely expect it. So some form of hell exists at all ELO, the game will never give you want you want some/most/all of the time, pick your poison.

Certainly you want to get yourself away from the 1400 starter/SR-visitor range. At some point I was ending up with 4v5 matches every other game or so, until I clawed my way out by most consistently winning games via bottom lane. Duoing when we could helped as well, and now we're largely free from the prior 4v5 garbage.

MM also has no **** clue what to due with my LAN group of friends. Wildly differing ELOs, levels, whether those of us are smurfing or not, the ELO of said smurfs, the effective ELO loss if we're drinking, etc.

tl;dr MM will never deliver what you want

DivineBovine

01-19-2012

wooooahh there people talking about non elo things! TALK ABOUT ELO THINGS :3

evilXkilla

01-19-2012

Was matched against a full premade Mollica's team with 5 randoms (I know bc I was first and I was solo) only lost 3 elo and game was over under 10 min so while Dominion match making is "broken" and it matches teams vs soloers I think it does a good job rewarding a win vs premades and not punishing you a lot for losing (I'm sure if we won Mollicas team would lose a lot of elo)

Oh and those players who use ELO as an excuse are just bad period.

VhakulaKhaulepi

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
Not saying some of the high elo players aren't really good, but there's others who've been spoiled by premade vs randoms stompfests.
Right. Premading is a bit different from solo queue. lol You don't get AFKers, you're pretty unlikely to get a surprise DCer, and people know what role they're going to play ahead of time in most cases. Now a bad premade is a bad premade, but it's still better than most random teams you'll run into.

Quote:
I think it does a good job rewarding a win vs premades and not punishing you a lot for losing
I saw a premader who was 300 wins over losses with a rating lower than a solo queuer who was only 100 wins over. So yeah, Riot does draw the line somewhere.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

01-19-2012

holy smoke how do you guys get teammates with 300 more elo than you lol.

at 1900 in solo queue i rarely see anyone below 1750.... let alone 1600

K J

01-19-2012

From the solo queue games I've monitored the average spread has been about 350 between the lowest and highest ELO, with the largest being just shy of 600.