Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xin Zhao, Gragas, or Rammus?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

01-19-2012

Gragas is fun but he is terrible in dominion. In SR he was nerfed such that he is really only good at barrel tossing in lane and mini-claritying himself to keep it going. He also gets some health sustain along with it.
This is the only reason he is playable.

In dominion, barrels arent quite as good, despite the anti-AS property. His cooldowns are just too long to deal significant damage and his burst isnt that good.
His ult is indeed solid and works kind of like a blitz grab with some luck.

A perfect Ult, bodyslam, pointblankbarrel is pretty potent but pretty hard to pull off. And they nerfed his ult by increasing its cooldown by 50%! That doesnt exactly help.

I mean, compare Gragas to Gangplank for a second:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

barrel vs parley - Parleys much more accurate, muuuch faster CD, applies onhit effects, crits. Scales in a more useful manner.

Ult vs Ult - Id much rather have GPs ult over Gragas. I mean...cmon.

Drinking vs eating - Drink gives mana (not that useful), and some damage reduction which is solid. Eating is a cleanse plus heal. Winnar.

bodyslam vs raise morale - passive MS/AS benefits, click to give AoE benefits. Thats really good. Bodyslam is decent too being a gapcloser,move booster. This one is a tie.

Voxom

01-19-2012

after a couple games, i can confirm gragas is highly dependant on the team in dominion.. he can hold bot quite steady but he kinda sucks overall... wont ever 1v2, quite terrible 1v1 too. physical dmg laugable, cooldowns too long... im quite dissapointed.

Ascleph

01-19-2012

Nekrogen doesnt seem to do bad with gragas at all, maybe its just the learning curve

AbsolutePK

01-19-2012

Pantheon, Kassadin, Urgot, Udyr are great Dominion champs for 3150. I'm pretty terrible with Xin Zhao, and as you mentioned Rammus is pretty much just free wins. Never played Gragas and the few Gragas I've had on my team were pretty much useless, from my perspective his abilities are just on too long of a cooldown and he just does no damage without them and gets destroyed.

Kat is great too if you don't get matched against a team with a bunch of cc. Pretty much sticking your balls under a guillotine to pick Kat in blind unless it's your first few times playing Dominion, otherwise you'll just get constant flows of Alistar, Wukong, Rammus, Kassadin, Shaco. etc.

Warrrrax

01-19-2012

Remember that ANY champion can do well in capable hands. Just because X player can do well or has done well, doesn't mean that champion is good.
A player that does do well with a subpar champ would most likely do even better with a stronger one.

TouchinMyself

01-19-2012

The people that say Gragas is terrible in dominion are just clueless zombies...

In the right hands Gragas is amazing. Not saying he is the best at what he does but he is very viable if you enjoy playing him there's no reason not to.

TouchinMyself

01-19-2012

Quote:
Warrrrax:
Remember that ANY champion can do well in capable hands. Just because X player can do well or has done well, doesn't mean that champion is good.
A player that does do well with a subpar champ would most likely do even better with a stronger one.

Remember that just because you think a champ is bad dont make it true.

TouchinMyself

01-19-2012

Quote:
Voxom:
after a couple games, i can confirm gragas is highly dependant on the team in dominion.. he can hold bot quite steady but he kinda sucks overall... wont ever 1v2, quite terrible 1v1 too. physical dmg laugable, cooldowns too long... im quite dissapointed.

Why are you ragging on the physical damage of an AP champ???

Play him tanky/AP and he becomes quite durable and can dish out some damage. That ult can be a real game changer as well.

Ascleph

01-19-2012

Quote:
Warrrrax:

Thats quite a non sequitur

Warrrrax

01-19-2012

How is this a non sequitur? What is hard about this?

If you give HotshotGG a subpar champ, he is quite capable of doing really well.
That doesn't make the subpar champ any less subpar does it?

An expert marksman can still do well with a Kiddie bow, but will certainly do even better with a professional one. It doesn't make the kiddie bow any less bad in comparison to the professional bow.

Nobody is saying not to play Gragas if you enjoy him. Simply that relative to other champs, he just isn't as good overall.