Jarven Solotop

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DonutTheMeng

01-18-2012

So, i've just played a ranked game versus a "meh" jax ( my first :-) )and i was wondering how i would go about ranked games, maining Jarven.
Recently, the mana buffs had made him more viable and what not, but a few weeks ago i heard dbllift and saintvicious (i think) argue about what was the better way to build him.

Can anyone describe what they were talking about or give their own imput on Jarven as a solotop champion?

RavenRise

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutTheMeng View Post
So, i've just played a ranked game versus a "meh" jax ( my first :-) )and i was wondering how i would go about ranked games, maining Jarven.
Recently, the mana buffs had made him more viable and what not, but a few weeks ago i heard dbllift and saintvicious (i think) argue about what was the better way to build him.

Can anyone describe what they were talking about or give their own imput on Jarven as a solotop champion?
Jarvan Solo top is what i main.

This is what i usually run in ranked:

Philosophers Stone, Mercury Treads, Trinity Force, Atmas Impaler, Aegis of the Legion, Randuins Omen
IGNITE + FLASH

Ranked Solo tops enemies are:

Nasus - Farm Pimp, usually gets Trinity + Atmas, harass him after you get Trinity Force

Irelia - Passive lifegain + Tanky ,...Get Wriggles Lantern between Trinity and Merc Treads for increased laning sustain

Wukong - Ger Oracle...it is a must. When Wukong uses his "Dash Ability" strike + Ult, wait out the ult halfway and then turn back to smash Wukong. Use e, basic attack + 150% physical from Trinity, q, Basic Attack + 150% from Trinity, w , basic Attack 150% + trinity.........Rinse and repeat.....

Maokai - Laugh at the tree. Rush items like chalice of harmony and Merc Treads + Philo stone. Laugh at Maokai's low damage output with 115 MR at level 8. Chalice + Philostone makes Jarvan the pimp of Spam. Spam q over and over again. Turn the Tree into toilet paper.

Tryndamere - This is tricky. Don't aggro him early on...as his passive might trigger for a series of crits. Rush Thornmail, Frozen Heart, and Randuins. Jarvan has a number of Cc's...so when an enemy Tryndamere is present, Jarvan must become the ANTI-Trynd. Get Ninja Tabi too.

Yorick - Yorick is bomb. If you face him...you on your own dude.....

nahh....just kidding, get Merc Treads, and Tiamat...Tiamat clears out ghouls faster and Merc treads wears out the Ghoul of Famine

Cleavey

01-19-2012

I play Jarvan solo top in normals, and have played two ranked games with him (winning both handily). I play him as a tank. What he lacks in laning phase is easily made up for in his massive disruption and durability in a team fight coupled with moderate damage, fulfilling tank role perfectly.

He has no personal sustain, but he has an extremely powerful shield.
Rush a Philsophers stone (buying regrowth pendant+pot to begin with), it gives you more laning potential. After, if you're doing well then fetch a heart of gold - if you're doing badly, skip it and go for some better items. Mercury's treads should also be a high priority item. Sell Philosophers stone later for gold and the item slot (late game).

An average completed build will look like this for me:
Mercury's Treads
Randuins Omen
Banshees Veil
Atma's Impaler
Sunfire Cape
Frozen Heart OR Force of Nature (FoN if there is prominent AP)

These items will of course vary depend on team composition, and is particularly effective against AD opponents.

As skilling order, a lot of people max Q first, then E and then W. I personally prefer to max Q then W, because the shield is actually extremely powerful, and the slow comes in handy. Jarvan needs to be able to trade blows top, and you can't do that without the shield. Never max the E first.
The initial skill order I go with is E - Q - Q - W then follow the priorities. Your E is invaluable for revealing bushes at the start, as well as being a better level 1 teamfight skill.

Harass by a combination of Q's and random melee attacks, using only your Q if they are ranged. It does surprisingly high damage, and is very spammable if you have the mana regen from the philosophers stone. Generally hold back from wasting mana on your other skills unless you really need to, as you will drain your mana too much. Keep your E handy for jungle ganks and quick escapes.

If you are being outplayed, you can easily avoid your opponent by shielding and running, or E-Q'ing away from them. This will allow you to stay and gain XP at least, until you can fit better defenses for your opponent. Allow them to push up and gank with your Jungler - Jarvan is one of the most powerful assistants to ganks, as he has a slow, a knock up and a trap. Try to wait for them to flash before using cataclysm and yelling out "DEMACIA." If they are on low enough health, do not hesitate to use your ultimate to get that final bit of damage in and guarantee the kill, the burst damage it deals is high.

Essentially, Jarvan is more of a late game champion than an early game, but he still has a reasonable early game and this varies depending on who he is matched against. Mid to late game, you will be one of the most disruptive, damaging and durable tanks possible to build. Of course, this only applies if you tank with him.

18X Jake

01-19-2012

Best way to build him is like these up here ^^^
But what you want is to start regrowth pendant usually, unless you're against a physical harasser then go cloth armor. Get your philo stone and heart of gold. Typically I will get a wriggles just because it's got great stats so you will sustain so easily in lane. next thing is going to be Phage, which you will build into triforce later.
I typically find myself maxing my flag skill first because it gives really good buffs to armor which are going to help you win fights up top, either 1v1 or 1v2.

IS18a91d7ad2488507ec964

01-19-2012

>ranked games
>"maining" anything

Please gb2 normal and come back when you can play at least three types of every role you're supposed to fill in your team.

Cleavey

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopelcat View Post
>ranked games
>"maining" anything

Please gb2 normal and come back when you can play at least three types of every role you're supposed to fill in your team.
Please stop being an elitist w_anker and allow us common folks to play our game, yes?

xSoulL

01-19-2012

Is it alright if I would throw in a brutalizer a little early and get my Youmoos later on or stick with it the rest of the game depending on how it goes?

TheFatalStorm

01-19-2012

I don't like getting youmoos on J4, he does enough dmg building him tanky + trin force