Release date for LoL on Mac?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kromo

01-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...splay.php?f=31 The mac client is in testing. Theyre are still some bugs to work out. Until they are the client will not be fully released until then.

Pendragon talks about it at the end of this weeks Demacian Weekly podcast http://demacianweekly.podbean.com/20...ly-episode-12/
I understand that you guys at Riot want to wait until it is seamless, and I appreciate that. But as you guys already know, there is an entire fan base waiting, and have been since the beginning of last summer, so could there please be someway we can get a little bit of an update and no more of this "its coming" or "it'll be here soon" BS...

I believe that I speak for most of the mac fan base when I say, we think everyone at Riot has developed a great game, and we just would like to play in a way that is convenient to us.

and we understand it is in testing, but what is the status on the testing?

This is a great game, but we are getting a little tired of Riot leaving us hanging....

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

01-26-2011

Emissaries aren't Riot employees. I have no idea what specific hangups they are facing with the client. I am in no way involved with testing it. The pod cast I linked has the most recent information I've heard or seen that they are willing to discuss.

And no offense to the Apple community, but Apple only recently broke 10% market share and most of those sales are not to Apple exclusive homes. Its actually quite impressive that Riot is willing to dedicate so much time and resources to a small group.

I'd suggest posting in the Mac Forum. See whats up, maybe someone there who is testing knows what the hold up is, or knows how to get you into testing.

kromo

01-26-2011

yeah, i only just now saw you were only an emissary, i got ahead of myself and only read your post, my apologies

erat

03-01-2011

Well I am sorry to you as well mr emissary despite macs being 10% of the market share thats 10% more active players and potential customers for Riot. Yes I know it is not your intention to be a downer on macs and mac users but its in PC user's blood, I mean come on your going to pop out a market share statistic as a possible reason/ excuse for them to not deliver a timely product.

How hard can making a mac version really be, they have been at this for a very long time. Honestly buying a $63 windows version and partitioning my harddrive just to play a free game is stupid.

WC3, the game that hosted DotA. The game that started this entire enterprise was released with Mac/Windows simultaneously and Blizzard has sold many record breaking games in this fashion. Windows users (PC users for reference) have become blind to the fact that in SC2, WoW, and WC3 they are playing side-by-side with Mac users and that without those players their respective communities would be dramatically changed.

And with this last note I will conclude my whole hearted rant, Riot Games, the mac community has not given up and we enjoy your product, but its been a very long time since it was promised, in a convenient fashion, last summer and we are getting very tired of waiting.
Thank You

Stoney Balogney

03-16-2011

Don't forget that the percentage of people swithching from PC to Mac is increasing daily. My PC broke down 2 weeks ago and I play'd lol a lot...we recently bought a state of the art Mac with every bell and whistle the mac store could throw at us...but I can't play LOL. I too agree that partitioning my hardrive for LOL isn't worth it...I'd rather spend the money on some RP.

You know what else is funny, I posted for an invite to mac beta testing...a day later I checked it and my post was buried behind a swarm of similar posts...hundreds. As soon as this is release..you will add thousands of players instantly. LETS GO RIOT...C'MON.

xpsychedelico

03-16-2011

The fact is... you don't need to pay $63 for a windows installation disc. If you have an old disc, it works. If you have a family member who has one, it works. If you can get your hands on a free copy* it works. The partitioning is simple and easy to reverse--and also handy should any game come out that you are dying to play that is not mac-compatible.

I'd rather wait for a finalized copy of the mac version to play it. Why risk losing and leaving games due to bugs that are yet to be fixed if Riot decides to throw it out before it is finished? Bugs can have a serious impact on gameplay and render the game unfun or unsatisfying to play. The reason why this is so difficult is because Windows and Mac run on very different systems. Plus, Adobe Air IIRC is strictly only for Windows, which means porting over the game client is already doubly hard, let alone all the details necessary for the game to run smoothly.

Additionally, if you really want to play that badly on a mac on an unstable version, there options* available to you. And you should stalk the Mac testing forum more often.

OPTICALEXPLOSION

05-22-2011

Did you ever stop to think that Apple broke only 10% because Mac users don't want to partition their computers just to play a game? It's not worth it, and I definitely don't have enough RAM for that. It would drastically reduce the quality of my mac OS. You can't tell how many mac users will add to market share once it is available on mac, and using current numbers of mac contributers seems foolish because there is no mac version. Honestly, if it isn't out by the end of summer, I'll have to stop playing LoL because I won't have access to a windows computer and I don't want to make my expensive computer crummy just to play a game.

Chococrisp

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTICALEXPLOSION View Post
Did you ever stop to think that Apple broke only 10% because Mac users don't want to partition their computers just to play a game? It's not worth it, and I definitely don't have enough RAM for that. It would drastically reduce the quality of my mac OS. You can't tell how many mac users will add to market share once it is available on mac, and using current numbers of mac contributers seems foolish because there is no mac version. Honestly, if it isn't out by the end of summer, I'll have to stop playing LoL because I won't have access to a windows computer and I don't want to make my expensive computer crummy just to play a game.
First off, this thread is 2 months old, if you really wanted to talk about LoL on macs, you should just make a new thread.

Second, I don't think you understand how RAM works. Dual booting will not affect your RAM whatsoever, because what RAM does is that it keeps programs that are running atm inside it (OSes too, that's why Vista needs 1GB of RAM, but only when it's actually running). However, since you won't be running mac os and windows at the same time, there won't be a performance hit (Windows files won't be on the RAM when you're not actually IN Windows). You would need however, more hard drive space, because you'd need to install both OSes, plus some extra space for whatever you want to run on that OS.

Finally, he meant 10% of ALL computers, not 10% of LoL players. His point was that, considering that 10% also includes people who dual-boot or otherwise have a Windows computer, the POTENTIAL mac customers are less than 10% of the population, so it's not too much of a priority for Riot because it's not beneficial to them in terms of cost-benefit (who, after all, are a business, and need to make some cash out of it all).

FinalMystery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2011

Few things:

1) The free copy they are referring to is probably illegally obtained and therefore I recommend against it. People are just impatient and cheap. Pick one people.
2) A legitimate free copy of most microsoft products can easily be obtained from microsoft directly if you are a college student. It may take a few weeks for your request to be approved but as long as you are in college with a .edu email address you're probably going to be approved.
3) Mac version can be quite hard to code since it's on completely different OS. Not saying there aren't converters out there but they do not always work the right way and debugging is maybe 90% of programming time.

@chococrisp: A few posters above mentioned VMWare and its likely he got his train of thought mixed up as he was typing. VM Ware will affect ram since it will be running two OS at the same time.

Chococrisp

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalMystery View Post
@chococrisp: A few posters above mentioned VMWare and its likely he got his train of thought mixed up as he was typing. VM Ware will affect ram since it will be running two OS at the same time.
Still, other than some drivers and stuff (at least, iirc VirtualBox installs some network drivers so I'd assume VMWare does too), VMWare will be shut off while he's not playing, so it'd affect only LoL (and any other stuff that needs Windows, but if he uses Windows so much, maybe he should consider dual booting), not his machine as a whole (unless he wants to run VMWare the whole time, which sounds weird).