Dominion, why don't you like it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DG TheFeedski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nojito View Post
this is why Riot hides Elo and w/l ratio
The guy he was referring to was an SR player. This was originally in GD, then got moved.

firetruckgg

01-18-2012

Most think its just a brainless 5v5 deathmatch involving capture points. And its easy for them to think that because dominion is much faster then SR. If you're transitioning to dominion from SR, there's so much stuff going on and happening that its easy for someone to get in the mindset that its just a big free for all. This is why a lot of regulars on the Dominion forum will always say "Play more games!" when people question its legitmacy as a competitive map. The high ELO players see the dominion meta develop every day. It is definitely there and from my experience it is still changing rapidly.

Part of the problem is there is no 3lanes+jungle layout that funnels new players into the meta. Also a lot more teamwork is required in dominion then in SR, and by a lot i mean a **** ton. There is no "everyone go to their lane and farm for 20 min, then we'll get together and team fight". You are thrown right into the mix at the start and if you don't work and coordinate with your team you will lose to opponents that do. I ping the map more in a single dominion game then I would in 10 SR matches put together. There is much more stuff to think about and do per Dominion second then there is per SR second. And frankly, new dominion players aren't use to it. They get overwhelmed and just write it off as random, chaotic and impossible to coordinate.

It is quite the opposite of what people think it is. After playing 500+ games, I can say with confidence Dominion is a harder map then SR. The meta is more complicated, the pace is twice as fast (at least), and the map awareness requirements are through the roof. You can't just carry games by getting fed and letting items do all the work. Smart decisions and skill are the only means you have to get to the top.

TLDR:The faster pace of Dominion compared to SR causes beginners of the map to think it has no meta and just a crazy free for all.

Narog

01-18-2012

score system is horrible and makes the elo system be ineffective rewards some really bad game tactics quests are ridiculous and many use it like test the free week

DivineBovine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

I love Dominion, but I find having someone dc/go afk almost game breaking. in SR, depending on how early/late in the game, it can have a serious effect sure, but the effects are more dire in Dom. I myself, who sometimes dcs, hate to see when I return the enemy has five capped and there is no viable way to make a comeback.

Kiddalee

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
Three of my favorite champions (Galio, Taric, and Ashe) are hilariously outclassed on Dominion. So yeah.
Ashe has an ult that can interrupt group captures from the other side of the map.

Galio has a group and minion-inclusive movespeed buff, and various crowd controls for holding enemies under tower fire.

Taric has a group armor buff and a stun for tanking points and feeding his own team.

You just need to figure out where they fit on Dominion. I've had success with Galio and Taric but I haven't figured out Ashe yet.

Kiddalee

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VhakulaKhaulepi View Post
A noob version, eh? How's 1124 treating you?

Wait...was I supposed to play nice?!

Bwahaha!
Stop! They might take JabeBot away because of people like you.

Kiddalee

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narog1 View Post
score system is horrible and makes the elo system be ineffective rewards some really bad game tactics quests are ridiculous and many use it like test the free week
The Dominion score system does not affect your Elo gains and losses.

hamai

01-20-2012

Currently I'm a Dominion convert. I had all kinds of phases, but currently I cannot play SR at all.

It's another game completely and I love it, kudos to Riot for pulling this map. Hopefully they create another one soon, different from everything else.

VhakulaKhaulepi

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddalee View Post
Stop! They might take JabeBot away because of people like you.
When someone claims something is too easy, JabeBot reveals the truth. I am merely a messenger.

deepbluereason

01-23-2012

It's not so much that I don't like Dominion, I just prefer SR. And since, like most people, I've only so much time to play I'm likely to only play the occasional game of Dom. It's the same reason, really, that I barely play 3s.

If I want to play but don't have an hour, sure then, but otherwise I'm mostly gonna stick to SR.