So...ESA and SOPA

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UnitedWeStand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

The Entertainment Software Association (which is supposedly the association attached to the gaming community) is apparently in support of SOPA which could lead one to believe that the gaming community is in support of said Act. Penny Arcade's Extra Credits made a good video about it that you can see here:
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode...-sopa-and-pipa

It mentions that since ESA runs and is primarily funded by E3 that by attending or contributing to said event is essentially endorsing SOPA and encourages that all game companies that are opposed to SOPA also withdraw their connection to E3.

Now I don't know if Riot has anything to do with E3 or not but I do know that I won't be attending E3 unless the ESA changes their view on SOPA and I encourage others to do the same and if Riot DOES have anything set up for E3 I think they should pull out until changes are made.

tl;dr: ESA supports SOPA, so avoid E3

Miles Long

01-18-2012

Mentioned that some time ago, thread went nowhere. This community is too willfully ignorant to actually care about politics.

UnitedWeStand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Long View Post
Mentioned that some time ago, thread went nowhere. This community is too willfully ignorant to actually care about politics.
Lots of SOPA threads recently. Maybe you mentioned it before Riot officially said they were against SOPA?

Riven Senpai

01-18-2012

Sopa.

Rhynocerous

01-18-2012

Quote:
Uh, no, actually believe it or not most of us come to the LoL forums for LoL, not to debate politics.
And it's for the very same reasons that I don't go to high-schools for political debates.

0Splicer0

01-18-2012

Of course they are. Whatever makes money selling games is on favor of SOPA and PIPA, but it`s useless because it will be a law on USA only, so just change your domain to a european one and the law is useless.

Why people are so scared? United States will figure it out sooner or later and stop this nonsense.

Try searching for The Pirate Bay`s history, they did it.

UnitedWeStand

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhynocerous View Post
Uh, no, actually believe it or not most of us come to the LoL forums for LoL, not to debate politics.
And it's for the very same reasons that I don't go to high-schools for political debates.
Its LoL General Discussion...which can include politics. Especially since these particular laws directly effect my ability to enjoy playing LoL and learning from watching streams.

Edit: Trolled by a rioter. Moved to Off-Topic -.-

Miles Long

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
Lots of SOPA threads recently. Maybe you mentioned it before Riot officially said they were against SOPA?
No, it was after. People aren't going to care unless the legislation passes, makes me wonder why Riot is trying to rally the ignorant community behind the anti-SOPA movement.

And why these threads even pop up to begin with.

UnitedWeStand

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Splicer0 View Post
Of course they are. Whatever makes money selling games is on favor of SOPA and PIPA, but it`s useless because it will be a law on USA only, so just change your domain to a european one and the law is useless.

Why people are so scared? United States will figure it out sooner or later and stop this nonsense.

Try searching for The Pirate Bay`s history, they did it.
Actually its easier then that for each individual. You can just plug in the IP address and problem solved.

However, the sites themselves will still be hit hard especially sites like youtube, photbucket, etc. Anything that has free hosting for media can and probably will be targeted and sued.

UnitedWeStand

01-18-2012

Quote:
No, it was after. People aren't going to care unless the legislation passes, makes me wonder why Riot is trying to rally the ignorant community behind the anti-SOPA movement.

And why these threads even pop up to begin with.
Well I wouldn't say that. So far 3 million+ people have signed petitions/written congress telling them its a bad idea.