Mythbusters: Dominion Style

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taenaryn

01-26-2012

Defending bot, as a bot player, is a bad thing?

I pick up lots of kills standing below their bot, hiding in the FoW and picking up kills when they try to take it back. Of course, at high elo I'd probably only be able to do it once, if that, before they swarm me.

FDru

01-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerManCody View Post
It's late/early in so cal, but I wanted to mention the fact that just holding bottom tower seems to not be enough for some.

I played Heimer with garrison ( because if your bottom why wouldn't you ) and this sivir who was team captain decided I needed to push against a maokai who started with a catalyst, forget the fact that I was never in danger of losing my tower, but I had to push....

Why is holding a lost art... I think riot needs to change dominion to Capture and push till you die like a tard, because thats what everyones obsession is.

Also i would finally like to say that those who play draft mode and assume your better than those who just play blind pick are real dee da dee's for real.
Pushing and holding are situational. If your team has top, pushing is generally a bad idea as you're likely to get ganked by the enemy team which is roaming around looking for stuff to do. At the end of the first WM fight you should probably be careful of this even if your team lost it.

If you're aware of the enemy team (like if they're all pushing top like idiots, and 90% of players seem to love doing this), then push like crazy to create pressure, weaken the point and possibly get a cap.

In some matchups (like almost anyone vs Yorick), holding bot is the best you can hope for, but if you're able to push you should always do so when appropriate.

Emeraldw

01-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Pushing and holding are situational. If your team has top, pushing is generally a bad idea as you're likely to get ganked by the enemy team which is roaming around looking for stuff to do. At the end of the first WM fight you should probably be careful of this even if your team lost it.

If you're aware of the enemy team (like if they're all pushing top like idiots, and 90% of players seem to love doing this), then push like crazy to create pressure, weaken the point and possibly get a cap.

In some matchups (like almost anyone vs Yorick), holding bot is the best you can hope for, but if you're able to push you should always do so when appropriate.
You still want to push, just not as much. Even if you are ganked, there is potential for taking another top as they are down another person making it 4v3 top. (assuming no quest is in effect).

Hold 3 and defend is actually not a great strategy. It puts you on the defensive and must react to everything the enemy does. Keep pressure up, just don't go overboard.

Skorrne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2012

Got another Myth to add to this thread:

"Early game matters"

*PREAMBLE*

For those that don't know, Dominion uses a mechanic where a losing team will get faster respawns until the points even out (not sure what the threshold is). Also, once a team gets 100-125 points, they no longer lose points upon death.

I can't tell you how many games I've played now where the other team goes down 300-150 (in that range), and yet rubber-bands right back to win. I have to endure endless strings of "OMG NUBS" and "epic comeback" in all-chat as I helplessly watch the lead crumble.

However....

This is due to Dominion's most crippling balancing act: Riot has sought to always make each side believe that they have a chance to come back.

Though that sounds great on the surface, problem is you're forced into one of two options:

A) Create a game mechanic that allows teams losing at the start an opportunity to come back.

- Pro: Teams will constantly be trying very hard to win, regardless of score.
- Con: Early game becomes irrelevant (almost), and almost encourages bad early-game play.

B) No handicaps imposed on the winning team.

- Pro: More fair.
- Con: Losing teams will just rage, AFK, quit, etc. when they go down by 100 early.

Riot obviously went with option A and I understand why. But, I can't tell you how sick I am of watching helplessly as a team is able to just endlessly throw their bodies at me around the 10 min mark as I try to cap points. Eventually, the sheer poking turns into a death for me, they cap top, and we can't re-take it.

Emeraldw

01-26-2012

I disagree with that though. Early game does matter. If you take the top early on, you can get a good lead on points while having superior position. Also, considering how close the game can get, I like having as many points ahead as possible.

I get what your saying, but I don't think I would go so far as to say that it is a debunked myth.

MTaur

02-05-2012

It never hurts to be ahead early. What hurts is if you push for a fourth or fifth capture point around the time their dead respawn and get aced. If the other team makes a comeback from being behind by 200 points, then it's only because your lead was inflated in the first place by the same early bonuses that let them come back.

You still have to earn every point. It's just that the first hundred or so are easier to win than the rest. It's still pretty symmetric and fair, as far as I can tell.

The quests are pretty annoying when they're unusually unfair or, occasionally, impossible.