Let's talk summoner spells

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FABIOForever

07-18-2010

Just a general critique. Hopefully more people will get away from the flash/ignite mindset.

Revive:

Someone put this spell out of its misery already. Still the worst spell in the game. Take a spell that keeps you from dying in the first place at one quarter the cooldown. This spell MIGHT be worth it if it denied the enemy any gold or experience when you used it.

Rally:

The only times it'd be any use would be in 5 man team fights and your entire team was attack damage, but then it'd be offset by the fact that the enemy team could just stack armor. Possibly 2nd worst spell.

Smite:

I see people take this and I just shake my head. Any character who's halfway decent at jungling doesn't need smite. If you need smite, you shouldn't be jungling with that character. At best, smite helps you jungle the first two or three levels. After that it's pretty worthless. Your first dragon kill coming a level or two earlier isn't worth tying up a spell slot that's going to be absolutely useless the rest of the game.

Exhaust:

Not sure why more people don't take this. 90% of kills in the first half are all about catching or being caught, and this spell slows them down for that. It also completely shuts down attack damage characters for 3 whole seconds. Insanely useful throughout the entire game. Useful for any type of character. Useful for both offense and defense. Tied for best spell in the game.

Heal:

Kinda noobish. Yeah maybe once in a while someone will dive on you thinking they'll get a kill and you heal, but it doesn't happen often enough to really be worth a spell slot, especially given how popular ignite is.

Fortify:

Meh. I might consider getting this if I'm playing a hard to farm character so I can get the extra minion damage, but otherwise it's not really worth it. The long cooldown plus the instances where an extra 6 seconds would save a tower are just too infrequent for this to be that good.

Teleport:

Another one I don't really get the popularity of. It's not really a gank tool, and the extremely long cooldown doesn't make it that great of a backdoor counter. For every person I see make a really good use of teleport, I see twenty people who use for nothing but getting back to the front from base faster. There are other ways to increase your laning stamina, ways that don't take up a spell slot.

Cleanse:

A lot of people will say that this is the best all around spell, but I find it situational. It all depends on who you are and who the enemy team is. At the new cooldown of 150, it's not worth it unless your hero or their heroes fit the bill.

Clarity:

Very useful for heroes who burn through mana but don't have the means to quickly take down the golem (Kassadin, etc.).

Flash:

Ah, everyone's favorite. I think it must be vestigial nostalgia for back when it had twice the range. Now with half the range and a 240 cooldown, it's not so hot. Sure it's annoying for someone to get away with it, but 90% of the time it's not going to be as useful as ghost walk.

Ghost:

2nd best all around spell in the game. Like exhaust, it's useful because 90% of first half kills are catching or being caught. Better than flash in the vast majority of situations. You can even use it as a mini teleport to get back from base faster at a lower cooldown.

Ignite:

Very popular, very overrated. People are just so obsessed with maximizing burst damage that they lose sight of general effectiveness. With the reduced damage and increased cooldown, there are much better spells you could be getting. Might help you get first blood, but its effectiveness drops off SHARPLY as the game goes on. The ONLY time I'd consider getting it is with champions who are screwed if their burst doesn't kill the target.

Clairvoyance:

Tied with exhaust for best spell in the game. WHY DON'T MORE PEOPLE TAKE THIS? Free vision on a map spot every 40 seconds? That is INSANE! Can you imagine what kind of insane map control a team with 5 clairvoyances would have? Why do people take ignite when they could be taking clairvoyance? Knowing where the enemy team is and how to respond to them is the single largest aspect of the game. A team who spends 10% of their gold on wards is going to beat a team who spends it all on combat items, and clairvoyance is like a global ward. Why is this the least taken spell in the game? I see more people packing fortify than clairvoyance. Madness!

MeIquiades

07-18-2010

Rally: I find it very useful on champions that push (e.g. sivir) because it enables them to take down a tower faster and then go do something else.

Smite: yes, it's true that a lot of junglers can jungle without it, but at higher levels of play you're going to get ground into the pavement if you don't jungle fast enough to lvl quickly and quickly acquire buffs to gank, not to mention without it shaco is going to jack you're buffs and/or dragon

Flash: It's still better than ghost simply because if used correctly it can lead to good positioning for a fight without you just running to that position fast so they can see what you're doing. Don't get me wrong, i love ghost, but flash gives you options (like flashing over/through obstacles) that ghost simply doesn't give.

Ignite: It's popular for a reason, it can get kills through mid game especially now that cleanse doesn't remove it, and on top of that it can deal with healing compositions throughout the game.

Clairvoyance: It's a great spell and all, but on a lot of champions you'd be better of taking another spell and just buying a couple of wards.

Lucchinii

07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIOForever View Post
Just a general critique. Hopefully more people will get away from the flash/ignite mindset.

Revive:

Someone put this spell out of its misery already. Still the worst spell in the game. Take a spell that keeps you from dying in the first place at one quarter the cooldown. This spell MIGHT be worth it if it denied the enemy any gold or experience when you used it.
Does indeed need a GOOD buff, but it is still useful.

Rally:

The only times it'd be any use would be in 5 man team fights and your entire team was attack damage, but then it'd be offset by the fact that the enemy team could just stack armor. Possibly 2nd worst spell.
I find this spell more useless than Revive.. Still don't get why it was nerfed.

Smite:

I see people take this and I just shake my head. Any character who's halfway decent at jungling doesn't need smite. If you need smite, you shouldn't be jungling with that character. At best, smite helps you jungle the first two or three levels. After that it's pretty worthless. Your first dragon kill coming a level or two earlier isn't worth tying up a spell slot that's going to be absolutely useless the rest of the game.
A jungler being able to jungle faster is easier. Getting dragon down faster is a good thing, since it's global exp for everyone. It's a good spell. It used to be awesome until it was around.. Two patches ago?

Exhaust:

Not sure why more people don't take this. 90% of kills in the first half are all about catching or being caught, and this spell slows them down for that. It also completely shuts down attack damage characters for 3 whole seconds. Insanely useful throughout the entire game. Useful for any type of character. Useful for both offense and defense. Tied for best spell in the game.
The people QQing about Ignite need to QQ about this instead.

Heal:

Kinda noobish. Yeah maybe once in a while someone will dive on you thinking they'll get a kill and you heal, but it doesn't happen often enough to really be worth a spell slot, especially given how popular ignite is.
Teammates that have this have saved me so many times it's not even funny.

Fortify:

Meh. I might consider getting this if I'm playing a hard to farm character so I can get the extra minion damage, but otherwise it's not really worth it. The long cooldown plus the instances where an extra 6 seconds would save a tower are just too infrequent for this to be that good.
Most overpowered summoner there is.
Makes poor farmers decent farmers, and good farmers awesome farmers.
Not to mention it saves your turrets, and if you time it right, you can get a few kills with it. Not to mention since they buffed turrets, this spell also got buffed. You have to be careful about backdooring AND tower diving if an enemy has it. If more than one have it.. Oh boy.

Teleport:

Another one I don't really get the popularity of. It's not really a gank tool, and the extremely long cooldown doesn't make it that great of a backdoor counter. For every person I see make a really good use of teleport, I see twenty people who use for nothing but getting back to the front from base faster. There are other ways to increase your laning stamina, ways that don't take up a spell slot.
Teleport is an awesome spell, it has a lot of uses. Ganking, getting back to lane faster, it's even a useful escaping tool. Specially on Anivia.

Cleanse:

A lot of people will say that this is the best all around spell, but I find it situational. It all depends on who you are and who the enemy team is. At the new cooldown of 150, it's not worth it unless your hero or their heroes fit the bill.
This spell was way overpowered before, so much that people got too used to it and now they're complaining about two perfectly good summoner spells, because they used this to shut them down.

Clarity:

Very useful for heroes who burn through mana but don't have the means to quickly take down the golem (Kassadin, etc.).
Don't really need to say anything about this.

Flash:

Ah, everyone's favorite. I think it must be vestigial nostalgia for back when it had twice the range. Now with half the range and a 240 cooldown, it's not so hot. Sure it's annoying for someone to get away with it, but 90% of the time it's not going to be as useful as ghost walk.
Awesome get out of fail card, awesome initiating spell as well.

Ghost:

2nd best all around spell in the game. Like exhaust, it's useful because 90% of first half kills are catching or being caught. Better than flash in the vast majority of situations. You can even use it as a mini teleport to get back from base faster at a lower cooldown.

Ghost is awesome, no doubt about it.
It goes so well with almost every other summoner spell too.

Ignite:

Very popular, very overrated. People are just so obsessed with maximizing burst damage that they lose sight of general effectiveness. With the reduced damage and increased cooldown, there are much better spells you could be getting. Might help you get first blood, but its effectiveness drops off SHARPLY as the game goes on. The ONLY time I'd consider getting it is with champions who are screwed if their burst doesn't kill the target.
Too many baddies complaining about it after the cleanse nerf, when people that didn't use cleanse didn't care much about ignite. Just proves how bad people are saying this spell was overpowered, even after it got nerfed just like cleanse. This spell isn't even that good.

Clairvoyance:

Tied with exhaust for best spell in the game. WHY DON'T MORE PEOPLE TAKE THIS? Free vision on a map spot every 40 seconds? That is INSANE! Can you imagine what kind of insane map control a team with 5 clairvoyances would have? Why do people take ignite when they could be taking clairvoyance? Knowing where the enemy team is and how to respond to them is the single largest aspect of the game. A team who spends 10% of their gold on wards is going to beat a team who spends it all on combat items, and clairvoyance is like a global ward. Why is this the least taken spell in the game? I see more people packing fortify than clairvoyance. Madness!
Fortify is better than clairvoyance. You don't really need it if you actually have common sense, and use wards. One Clairvoyance in a team is enough.. Too bad no one ever uses it.
tl;dr
Fortify is the best spell in the entire game right now, baddies need to stop complaining about ignite being overpowered when it's not.

Sorano

07-18-2010

So I guess every Summoner Spell fails immensely by your standards? Lucchinii as the right idea.

Revive is dangerously situational, but not useless. Imagine in 40+ minute game, where both teams are down to their Nexus. You are Pantheon/Twisted Fate or any other sufficient backdoor character. The enemy team just made a push to finish the game. You died first. Click Revive, teleport to their Nexus and win that game. When your death time is 2+ minute late game, Revive becomes highly tempting. Games just never go that long.

Rally is now tied with Revive for most situational. The heal was it's saving grace, since it had the longest cooldown out of all Summoner Spells. It was able to turn 4v5 teamfights into wins. Plus, it only ever boosted physical damage.

Fortify can help protect from backdooring and lightning pushes. It can be activated while dead. Still good.

FABIOForever

07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorano View Post
So I guess every Summoner Spell fails immensely by your standards? .
It's kind of amazing how you managed to not even read the post AND take it personally at the same time.

Sorano

07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIOForever View Post
It's kind of amazing how you managed to not even read the post AND take it personally at the same time.
I'm just a sentient snarky artificial intelligence. Can't blame me *beep*. IMMUNE IMMUNE