Disney Resurgence?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exsnypre

01-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBasto23 View Post
Alright, so I'm one of those kids who grew up in the 90's during Disney's prime time. I only just saw Tangled (loved it) on Blu Ray and I've been re-inspired by Disney again :3

Is it really that wrong for a guy in his late teens to like Disney? Don't think so...I'm pretty sure almost everyone has fallen in love with Disney movies at some point or another.
If you're currently in your late teens, you missed Disney's prime. It was pre-90s. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, TRON. Those were during Disney's prime.

Larcent

01-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsnypre View Post
If you're currently in your late teens, you missed Disney's prime. It was pre-90s. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, TRON. Those were during Disney's prime.
One of these things is not like the others ...

"Tron," regardless of any fondness for the movie (I enjoyed it myself) was released when Disney was most assuredly not in its prime.

I am fond of Disney even though I grew up during that gap in the 80s where they had little to show for their filmmaking. I believe "The Little Mermaid" -- first film of their renaissance -- was released when I was a senior in high school.

But I grew up in Orlando, so the company is a huge cultural touchstone for me regardless. I enjoy the parks like crazy. EPCOT first opened when I was living there. (Another friend of mine who grew up in Central Florida as well is more of a fan of the parks than the actual movies)

Powerstoned

01-17-2012

I still would enjoy the non-"musicals" 2d disneys, like alice in wonderland and robin hood.
o, and Fantasia too (which isn't really a musical in the traditional sense). I have little brothers born in the early 90s(i was born in 79), so ive had to sit through all the 90s disneys musicals(lion king/mermaid/alladin, etc...) waaay too much.

I think Pixar gained more popularity than disney, because they were either Musical-lite or completely devoid of it, so they're enjoyed by more people/demographics.

I think the only thing that's gonna keep disney afloat into the future is their acq. of marvel.

Powerstoned

01-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsnypre View Post
So far, Lion King has brought in nearly 2 billion between the movie and merchandising, so i think the 90s has a pretty good argument for being it's prime. The release of toy story brought down disney's 2d primetime. (not saying it's better at all though)

Werewolf Link

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMills View Post
I have two small children who LOVE Disney movies. I love to sit there and watch the movies with them.

What always upsets me is when Disney Pictures tries to make Sci-Fi movies (Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Lilo and Stitch, and Treasure Planet). Mention this because of the pending release of John Carter...
HEY! Don't you be hating on Stitch!

Dobagoh

01-17-2012

My favorite Disney Movie was Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yea, I went there.

Larcent

01-17-2012

I actually loved both "Princess and the Frog" and "Tangled."

If "Princess and the Frog" hadn't come out the week before stupid, awful "Avatar," it probably would have had a stronger presence and sticking power. It was very classic Disney, very much in the style of "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast."

ShadowDark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2012

I'm in college, and I still go back and rewatch all the "Disney Renaissance" animations every so often. Disney captured me again as well with Tangled. I enjoyed Princess and the Frog as well, and the upcoming Brave looks promising too.

Dominick Destine

Recruiter

01-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
My favorite Disney Movie was Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yea, I went there.
I'm pretty sure people were talking about animated Disney films.

Modern Disney sucks hard, older Disney is pretty good. Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, these were all very solid films that were enjoyable as more than "For Kids" fodder.

Jaykoboy

01-17-2012

I still watch Disney movies...the only one I don't like is Lion King, and that's because my sister forced me to watch it, quite literally, nonstop for two days. No movie is good after a beating like that.

I find it funny how I love some of their movies with the worst ratings, namely Treasure Planet and Atlantis. I guess it's because they both have a small Steampunk tinge to them...

-Jaykoboy-