Is Yorick a joke?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bendial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

I should also add the thing I hate most about yorick is that people just run away from his ghouls and let them die, its SO frustrating. Hes useless.

newbin

01-18-2012

I strongly recommend finding a guide on the forums or YouTube to teach you tricks and tips.I assure you it will help you a lot especially if it is a commentary.

SteelersSuckHaha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-18-2012

His burst is not pathetic...

You need to learn how to zone, learn how to harass, etc. Not sure if it was OP, but the person that said it's annoying when they run away from ghouls, is kind of off base. If you stand in the minions, or even on their side of the minions a little bit, them running from ghouls = 0 xp, 0 cs. That shouldn't be annoying at all.

I have found that a lot of Yoricks burst comes from the fact that Q resets the auto attack, allowing you to aa, then q almost instantly. At level 5, assuming level 3 e and level 1 q and w...

E = 115 + 100% AD
W = 60 + 100% AP
AA = 80ish? (Should have AD marks at least, possibly quints)
Q =30 + 120% AD

or, somewhere around 600 damage. Also, this doesn't account for his ghouls that continue to attack or the fact that they are now slowed by your w and q which means you get multiple follow up hits.

Tyrang

01-18-2012

Mana management.

Herlgar

01-18-2012

Here's a video which should show you how to play him better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4OZP6f1V0w

DarXide420

01-18-2012

start with your W (for bush checks) then get E and Q at lvl 3, then max E, then Q, then W.

as for builds, i usually start with a mekei pendent and 2 mana pots, get a tear and a ward first back, and boots if you can afford them, next trip back get manamune and start spamming, all your mana troubles should be over from then on out, nxt I would say get mercs, and then atmas, and then warmogs if long game (even scores on both sides, even towers) or frozen mallet if short game. (fed teammates, or you are up 2-3 towers) from there u can triforce, and if you get the chance, banshees as a last item or if you're just realllly fed you can get BT.

as for masteries and runes I go 1/8/21, AD marks, flat armor yellows and MR blues, with AD quints (his Q and E both scale off AD) or if you really don't have the balls to escape-tap you can run move speed quints.

onihero

01-18-2012

What the last poster said except I don't rush manamune. Keep tear and build tanky with belt and phage. By that time you should be able to manamune/sheen then finish warmog/atma then tri. Ofc boots in there too. And ofc your order is determined by how the game its going. Remember, you can go toe to toe with just about anyone that doesn't have ignite.

Get e,w,q. Then max e then q then w. W to check grass, escape, harass. Q is big damage and allows you to chase or get away fast. E is super sustain. I usually run heal as well.

Kr0ze

01-19-2012

Yoricks burst is insane when you get your items, and the only way you'll lose top lane is if your out played. You can farm all day while dominating lane control, most times enemies will get so frustrated from your harass that they'll make a mistake and give you a kill too.

Mr Geppetto

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypouch View Post
yorick does have quite a powerful escape save your q for when u need to run and q a minion. 35% movespeed or whatev it is is rather strong
35% is max rank; you have to skill E first for sustain, one point in W and ult whenever you can so the earliest you could have max rank of E is 13 i.e. laning phase pretty much over.

I find your figures misleading

tempname076325

01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thcloud View Post
yorick is supposed to be a top-lane nightmare laner. but i have found there are a number of hard counters you need to watch out for:

1. nasus: if the summoner is familiar with both nasus and yorick, you're ****ed as well as your team
2. cho'gath: his passive = free mana/health for cho
3. tryndamere: yay free rage w/o pushing lane. free rage = more sustain and stronger AA. gl with this one
4. singed: it makes absolutely no difference to singed whether there are ghouls or not--his farm is not affected. singed is built to tank magic dmg and most of yorick's early dmg is magical in nature.
5. udyr: turtle stance allows him to tank ghouls and regain mana/health. bad trade-off, not to mention he is one of the ultimate bruisers top
6. renekton: not so much a hard counter but just a dominant laner. he can heal thru ghouls via 'q' as well
7. trundle: every ghoul will heal him. along with every minion
8. rumble: shield + speed and aoe clear makes ghouls a joke

however, you do counter a bunch of problematic heroes like gp/panth/akali/etc

the key is to only harass with ghouls instead of last hitting with tear. in addition, try to pack teleport for that extra advantage when it comes to lane control
As a yorick player, I more or less agree with this poster. People run into problems with yorick because they run away from the ghouls, but many champs can handle Yorick if they actually attack them. That said, you should pretty much never lose your lane, you just might not win it outright.

I don't think all of these matchups are accurate though. If you play aggressively enough early on, you can win some of these matchups by getting ahead in the lane. Especially if you have a jungler that can tower dive around level 6 (e.g. lee sin, jarvan).

Singed is an absolute joke matchup for yorick if you can deny him early. The matchup is practically as bad as facing a ranged ad for singed. You just can't be passive early on and let him get the catalyst on time. Same is true for the wriggles dependent tops like tryndamere and udyr, you can win the lane if you delay their wriggles long enough.