Is Yorick a joke?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arkc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-17-2012

I was under the impression that he was one of the best solo tops, but im getting destroyed by almost every matchup.

he has no damage and no escape, and once a they get a wriggles they out sustain you, not to mention half the people i face get more that yoricks sustain FOR NO COST.

if i use my "incredible harass" i just run out of mana in by 4 minutes (with mana runes) where they just free farm cause it barely hurt them or outright kill me.

What magical component am i missing here?

Lord Sunday IV

01-17-2012

What are you building/skill order?

Yorick does have incredible sustain/harass, but you need a Tear to use it. I start Meki Pendant/Health pots, and play defensively until my first item back. Once I have tear, I zone with W and use E to out-sustain everything they throw at me.

You shouldn't have mana runes. Take damage/Armor/health runes, and just be conservative with mana until you grab the tear. Also remember your passive; your gouls give you a percentage of reduced damage. For this reason, in any fight you want as many minions up as possible. 15% reduced damage against solo top champions is really strong, especially when you're also doubling your damage the same way. (Three gouls, each with 35% of your damage, wailing on the same champion that you're attacking, plus the burst from it. You have an extra 105% damage, take 15% reduced damage, and lifesteal from your E minion.)

You just have to get used to it. Use your W to zone, be very careful of ganks, and watch your mana. If your team comp allows, Yorick with blue buff is really strong (if your mid is someone like Vlad. He shouldn't get priority unless you're carrying hard)

There are a variety of builds out there. Personally, I build Tear->Boots(variable)->Zeal->Manamune->Triforce->Warmogs->Atma's, adding in Frozen Heart situationally and delaying triforce if we're getting stomped.

moneypouch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2012

yorick does have quite a powerful escape save your q for when u need to run and q a minion. 35% movespeed or whatev it is is rather strong

Yippppeeekiyayy

01-17-2012

Yorick sustain is pretty insane if you max E first. I can't think of many top laners with better sustain besides Nidalee.

Frightfire

01-17-2012

i find yorick brutal in top being as the ghouls focus champs so you cna hit a back end minion and it will chase them out

Lord Sunday IV

01-17-2012

Also, with Yorick, even getting zoned doesn't put you behind in farm. The cooldowns on W and E should allow you to pull together a decent set of farm if you time it right, while hurting the enemy champ with W.

VeNiiC

01-17-2012

your doin it wrong.

Nyadnar17

01-17-2012

Build a tear ASAP, Get W to lvl 2 and then Max E, focus on farm. There should be view people if any that can outlane you.

7thcloud

01-17-2012

yorick is supposed to be a top-lane nightmare laner. but i have found there are a number of hard counters you need to watch out for:

1. nasus: if the summoner is familiar with both nasus and yorick, you're ****ed as well as your team
2. cho'gath: his passive = free mana/health for cho
3. tryndamere: yay free rage w/o pushing lane. free rage = more sustain and stronger AA. gl with this one
4. singed: it makes absolutely no difference to singed whether there are ghouls or not--his farm is not affected. singed is built to tank magic dmg and most of yorick's early dmg is magical in nature.
5. udyr: turtle stance allows him to tank ghouls and regain mana/health. bad trade-off, not to mention he is one of the ultimate bruisers top
6. renekton: not so much a hard counter but just a dominant laner. he can heal thru ghouls via 'q' as well
7. trundle: every ghoul will heal him. along with every minion
8. rumble: shield + speed and aoe clear makes ghouls a joke

however, you do counter a bunch of problematic heroes like gp/panth/akali/etc

the key is to only harass with ghouls instead of last hitting with tear. in addition, try to pack teleport for that extra advantage when it comes to lane control

Bendial

01-18-2012

Yeah man I got the same impresion...maybe i'm just playing him wrong, who knows. I feel he's incredibly strong like levels 1-10 just laning and keeping enemies away, but his burst is pathetic and I always get owned when i play him, so I stopped playing him. He used to be one of my faovirte characters.