Dominion always leaves me straight up triple flabbergasted . . .

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

reticuli

01-17-2012

Seems like every time you ace the enemy team, all you do is make them mass respawn 10 seconds later with full HP and new items, and then the tides turn out of nowhere and you lose.

Dominion is always like this, whenever you are crushing the enemy team, somehow inexplicably you're neck and neck in score, and then suddenly you're getting your ass kicked after acing them and capping 4-5 spots at once.

Is something wrong with the way dominion uses spawn timers, or calculates score? I notice that even when having 4 spots captured you still bleed tickets(points) for some unknown reason. I suspect when down 4 spots the enemy team can recapture at a faster rate as well.

I just don't feel like dominions balance has much to do with champions, but its actual gameplay mechanics.

Xanthic

01-17-2012

Sometimes I've seen teams where they were all late game champs. Meaning that you might have the biggest advantage early / mid game. But once they start getting their core items, they will absolutely wreck you and having a comeback when you might have like a 300+ points lead.

Red Smurf27

01-17-2012

There is a strategy to over capping. While it seems counterintuitive, sometimes it is better to take 3 and consistently hold than to push for a 4 or 5 cap. When you take 5, generally you need to cap and leave. It gives you a chance to recall and get to the windmill, etc. and defend the point.

The main thing is to always have 3 so that your score never moves and their score always drops. There are times where a team is seriously outmatched where taking 5 and ending the game quickly is feasible, but generally the matchmaking does a pretty good job of matching up like Elos.

The spawn timer issue has been tweaked and may need a little more tweaking. The window timers are made to give a team a chance to all run together instead of just sending them out one by one.

One of the best features about Dominion is its never over until its over. I've won plenty and lost plenty of 2-0, 1-0, etc. games because you are never out of it. SR is the mode where surrendering is acceptable because there is a point of no return. Always a chance left to win at Dom, which is why it appeals to me more.

Hobocop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2012

Sounds more like you need to learn when to base. When you wipe out the enemy team in a teamfight, you need to capture what you can and then base to buy/heal so you're fresh for the next push.

Losing points when you still control the majority is not a glitch. Deaths take 2 health from your nexus until you're at 100 nexus health, so that's why it's important to not die needlessly by staying out in the field in such a condition that grabbing a few health relics isn't going to make you reasonably battle ready.

Vyr1s

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-17-2012

Well you need to look at Dominion as its own game(as it is) rather than contrasting so heavily on SR.

In SR getting an ace gives you major time to push a lane or take Baron/Dragon and gain an advantage.
This is applicable as SR for the most part is static.

Dominion on the other hand is about capping points which can be neutral, allied, or enemy.
As such getting an ace is effectively pushing the enemy off the map and back to base.
This gives you the advantage of either out numbering remaining enemies and limiting what is 'unknown'.
However it does mean they are going to come back full blunt near their points.
This does give you an advantage to cap points close to your point, and perhaps top.
You have to weigh these concerns when 'finishing' champs that are running as well as when to push a certain point and when to back off.

Most people make the assumption once you get an ace, that is your advantage, you win.
But in reality all you have done is the first step in an advantage, still need to med up and secure points.

EinzigerAI

01-17-2012

Pushing that 4th and 5th cap on an ace will almost always result in you getting 3 capped. Mostly because people spread themselves thin and you have no way to back yourself up. The only time I ever push for a 4th and 5th cap is when it's just myself going over to cause a little distraction while the rest of my team sets up for defense.

Nekrogen

01-17-2012

If you straight up aced the enemy team, then chances are you'll be GIVEN the opportunity to 4-5 cap them; the respawn timers aren't that short. If you hit tab and you notice your team cannot cap X point safely by the time they get there, your best bet is to probably recall and heal for the next fight.

Also, "crushing" is a very subjective term in Dominion. You can have more team points than your enemy and hold no map points, which in this case you are being "crushed". In Summoners Rift, you can ace a team and this is considered "crushing" them because the gold gain makes an enormous difference. Yes being aced in Dominion hurts, but it isn't the definition of being crushed; if you get aced and the enemy 5 caps you, then THAT is being crushed.

Your team loses points when a teammate is killed, so having more map control doesn't mean your score is going to be static, but you'll be in a better position for sure.

Quote:
I just don't feel like dominions balance has much to do with champions, but its actual gameplay mechanics.
And your point is? This isn't Summoners Rift, you might as well get used to that fact :P. If you need a hand learning the ropes, just check out some of the guides for it in the guides section.

Juzt

01-17-2012

Iv'e notice its a clear loss if you are building your champion all wrong.

Just seen an AP Blitz... no tear godess, no HP, just AP, he just instantly died when ever he ran up to Leblanc.. never seen him touch a check point near me not once at all game.

VhakulaKhaulepi

01-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
Sometimes I've seen teams where they were all late game champs.
Yeah, if someone has a late-game champ with per level runes, you might find your face on the floor a little later in the game.

nukular power

01-17-2012

@op, yes, something is goofy with the Dominion respawn timers. That, along with the fact that Rammus is still allowed in it, seems to indicate to me that it will never be a serious ranked mode.